Thread: * Say I Were Building Some Custom Line Arrays*

Red face * Say I Were Building Some Custom Line Arrays*

Ok, in these arrays I would put 8 JBL LE 5-2's in a series parallel arrangment. Ok, the mids are stacked one above the other in the tower. Now! help me out on this one people. I've been puzzling over this for awhile. Next to those 5" mids would be 8 tweeters. What should I use, JBL 066's, LE-20's, Le-25's, 044's, or what? I would appreciate your comments, as I have not heard any of the above. I was more into pro audio, and that means JBL 075's tweets, JBL 375's, and etc... Many Thanks, Tom

Two Time "Kidney Transplant Recipient"

Quote Originally Posted by Loud & Clear View Post
    Ok, in these arrays I would put 8 JBL LE 5-2's in a series parallel arrangment.
    Fine, if you shut 'em down at 2 kHz....

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=5706

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Fine, if you shut 'em down at 2 kHz....

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=5706
    Actually, my first design was going to use 2- E-110's, 4-5-2's, and 4-blank for tweeters. In my current design, I was going to cross the 5-2's at 200 low, and 2000 high. That is where my tweeter question comes in. I have been doing some study, and like the 066, but have never heard it. This is where I need he assistance. Many Thanks, Tom :dont-know

You'll need to tell us the purpose of this line array for better advice, then....

You want a tweeter with a TINY flange, and you want more than 8 of them... packed together edge-to-edge, as closely as possible.

If you could get a BUNCH of the tweeters that went into the Control 5 monitors... it's a neo-magnet version of the 035Ti, basically. Only about 2" or so in diameter. That'll give close enough center-to-center distance, to achieve acceptable comb-filtering avoidance (comb filtering will only start to occur above about 10KHz, which is generally regarded as "ok").

With one of the older tweeters, you'll wind up with a center-to-center distance between the tweeters, of at least 4 inches. That'll start comb-filtering at 5KHz... which is VERY FREAKING ANNOYING in the near field, IME...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    You'll need to tell us the purpose of this line array for better advice, then....
    I was thinking of putting them above each of my K-horn, or if I go with 2 K-horns in each corner, The arrays would go in front. I've been contemplating finding a pair of 4680's and just using those. It's up in the air right now... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GordonW View Post
    You want a tweeter with a TINY flange, and you want more than 8 of them... packed together edge-to-edge, as closely as possible.

If you could get a BUNCH of the tweeters that went into the Control 5 monitors... it's a neo-magnet version of the 035Ti, basically. Only about 2" or so in diameter. That'll give close enough center-to-center distance, to achieve acceptable comb-filtering avoidance (comb filtering will only start to occur above about 10KHz, which is generally regarded as "ok").

With one of the older tweeters, you'll wind up with a center-to-center distance between the tweeters, of at least 4 inches. That'll start comb-filtering at 5KHz... which is VERY FREAKING ANNOYING in the near field, IME...

Regards,
    Gordon.
    Yep, your right. I don't like the flanger effect. That is something I have never dealt with. These would be my first towers. Most everything I have done, has been pro-audio. I was thinking with cone mids, and dome or cone tweets. I would get a more subtle natural sound. I'm a bass lover, that is why I was looking at the towers, to keep up with the bass. I don't believe I have seen many of the 035 tweets for sale. I'm loving this site already. Many hands makes for light work. Many Thanks, Tom

Thread Information