Thread: Long time reader First time member /sounds like am talk radio!

Long time reader First time member /sounds like am talk radio!

Hello All!

Have been coming to this site for quite a while to read up on a lot of info (JBL and otherwise). I always thought as a audio nut. That is until I meet the owner of audio repair shop(been in the business 35 years!). He open my eyes to vintage! Anyway since then I have gone through different receivers, amps and of course speakers.

I had couple different marantz, kenwood 9600, sansui.

I am currently running phase linear 400 pre/amp series 2. The amp was upgraded by the repair shop that i mentioned earlier with new output transistors and upgraded gold rca inputs. I also have a marantz 2265b.

Speakers have been L-36 decade (great little 10") C-53 Libra (sweet!)

I currently own 4 L-100,s with matching serial #'s 73942a,73941a, 73940a, 73939a. Unfortunately the original owner drop one when putting them into storage! The cabinet is not destroyed, but it did mash the corner and there is a hairline crack going from the corner to the woofer and from the woofer to the mid. Wondering on what to do. :dont-know I talked to custom cabinet maker and he said it could be repaired.

I will post pictures later!

I also replaced all 4 LE-25's, the originals were trashed. I also bought some white grill pegs to replace the ones that were broke. One of 123A-1 has a discolor problem, sounds fine but thinking on replacing it.

I am also thinking about selling them. Or should I be taken out back and be given a woop'n? Any thoughts on this would help. I am torn.
    I was thinking about getting the L-65's. Any thoughts?

Anyway I could go on typing. I am looking forward to more chattin.
    I think it would be better talking to audio nuts about all this than my wife who just gives a glazed look. . ( Although to give credit I think she has a great ear when it comes to A-B ing)

Looking forward to hearing from y'all.
    Chad
    Anyone in the St Petersburg, Fl area? Let me know.

Can you build stuff like cabinets and crossovers?

If you sold one pair of L100s, you'd have enough cash to build DIY better than L65....

Long time reader First time member /sounds like am talk radio!

Hello.
    I have the basic skills to build a cabinet and I assume that Jeff at the audio repair shop (or Even looking online) could help me with the crossovers. Sounds like a cool project!

It's like the saying "jeeps are built not bought"

So what should I do with 2 L-100's part them out and sell piece by piece? Or use the speakers on the DIY project and sell the cabinets and grills?

I would almost hate myself for breaking up these 4 have been made together, sold together, and played together for almost 30 years.

Thanks again for the input.
    I just have to say this is way cool!
    chad
    PS I should be able to post pics tomorrow.

Let's see what others here have to say before I get more specific with suggestions as to what you might do.

In the meantime, I look forward to seeing your pics.

Use "Search" to find an read up recent threads relating to L100s. They are a controversial topic here....

Gary L
    Well Zilch, you opened this can-O-worms with a double edged sword for sure.
    Just MO here but with four consecutively numbered JBL anythings, I think I might leave them alone and keep them. Collector value will probably far outweigh any cash realization at this junction.
    Save your nickles and do build the DIYs because as stated, you can certainly do better today and if Zilch has some input I am sure you will benefit greatly.
    Some of these Vintage speakers are like gold coins. 1 ounce of gold in the coin has a set value in todays market but the numismatic value of a vintage gold coin could be many times more valuable and this can climb higher every year.
    DIY projects are very self rewarding and can result in very fine quality speakers. However, they will hardly be worth the cost of the raw components to anyone but you.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by itgoestwo11 View Post
    Hello.

I would almost hate myself for breaking up these 4 have been made together, sold together, and played together for almost 30 years.
    Yeah, don't break them up - they will go into wihdrawal and refuse to play

Probably already suffering withdrawal symptoms due to being naked in public (no clothes: no foam grilles - LOL).

Thread Information