Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bought 4412 pair today

bought 4412 pair today

was scanning CL and saw ad for 4206s and was interested. As I was talking to seller , I refreshed and a pair of 4412's appeared. Declined on the 4206 and hightailed off to check out the 4412s.
    Drivers were perfect (xcept one mid dust cap slightly indented, not bad) cabinets were beautiful ...much richer veneer than the 4410s , grills were only the real issue.
    one had one corner wear , other had broken peg and 1 JBL ID strip was gone (where to get a replacement ??)

sounded great, so loaded them into the p/u. Just came home and setup. They sound just like the 4410s, but with added bass.
    everyone is home , so cant really "test" them. Anyway, I'm a happy camper.
    By the time we were done they only cost me $40 more than I paid for the 4410s which I think will be the B set for rears.
    Guess the pretty Marantz's will have to go......

pix to follow

TOM
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Grilles were still available from JBL Pro Parts last time I checked....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    any idea where to get just the ID strip ?

I'd inquire at the same source....

the seller was asking $400 , which is guess is about market value ...(some eBay seller in Germany has a set with BIN of US $1,520.65...yeah, right)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3723&rd=1&rd=1

By the time I left, gave him $290 ... which I think is a pretty fair deal

On the way home with the 4412s, I stopped at Ja-Mac - the reconers- to pickup a foam surround for the 127-H1. One of them ( on the 4410s) just disintegrated.
    A customer speaker set was waiting for pickup. Some HPM 150s....weird !! They have lower chamber for LF and a plex top so you can see the HF. The HF looked like a stack of about 6 clear CD blanks , stacked on top of each other with about an inch between them. Anybody know about this tweeter ? Was that just a diffuser ?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hey SEAWOLF, maybe I can help.

I bought a pair of 4412's from audiobeer, and veneered them in rosewood. I bought a pair of grilles from JBL parts, and just today threw the old ones away, since I am closing down my office. They should still be in the trash tomorrow, and if you want them, let me know, and I will send them to you. The cloth has holes, and there are some broken pegs, but the ID strips are good. I will need your mailing address.

Quote Originally Posted by jackgiff View Post
    I bought a pair of 4412's from audiobeer, and veneered them in rosewood. I bought a pair of grilles from JBL parts, and just today threw the old ones away, since I am closing down my office. They should still be in the trash tomorrow, and if you want them, let me know, and I will send them to you. The cloth has holes, and there are some broken pegs, but the ID strips are good. I will need your mailing address.
    YES , YES , YES

I will PM you my address, and PAYPAL you the shipping charges.....

I bought a pair of 4412's from audiobeer, and veneered them in rosewood.
    So , how do you like them ?? any pix of the re veneered cabinets ?

I have mine on 18 inch stands , 3 in from wall. Sounds fantastic , the best that I've owned.

When I auditioned them , seller had them balanced on top of 48in stands, about 4 feet from wall. He sold them as he didnt like the sound he was getting.

They sound COMPLETELY DIFFERENT/BETTER in my setup.

Love these new stands..they are 11x14 tops. exactly the width of the 4412s.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They are on the way.

I did my best Dumpster Diver trick this morning, and recovered the grilles and shipping containers. It was easier for me to just repack them, and ship the whole lot. I will PM you the UPS tracking number.

So , how do you like them ?? any pix of the re veneered cabinets ?
    I showed pictures of them on this forum about a year ago. Just do a search for "rosewood 4412's" and pick out my thread.

Those stands look very nice. My 4412's are now sitting on a soffit about ten feet high. They don't sound great up there, but are taking a back seat to some DIY 4430's, thanks to Zilch.

Merry Christmas.

Hey Jack -

Want to sell those Vals?

-Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Ja, that's what the website says...I ordered a pair and found out they are backordered...
    Paying debt to Karma...

I did my best Dumpster Diver trick this morning, and recovered the grilles and shipping containers.

I showed pictures of them on this forum about a year ago. Just do a search for "rosewood 4412's" and pick out my thread.

Those stands look very nice. My 4412's are now sitting on a soffit about ten feet high. They don't sound great up there, but are taking a back seat to some DIY 4430's, thanks to Zilch.

Merry Christmas.

Can't thank you enough , Jack. If you ever get to Portland, give me a call...we can do lunch

Your rosewood upgrades look AbFab. Really outstanding. Mine are the dark walnut and pretty in their own right. They were so dry, just drank in the lemon oil for 3 or 4 applications.

The stands are Brazilian cherry with birch. Have leveling feet, which turned out to be a nice feature and they are REALLY SOLID.

stands thread :

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=13320

4412's sound pretty darn nice, don't they?

My first pair of JBL's was an E-Bay buy of 4312's. They sounded awful good, but didn't really strike my fancy. I was used to my 846A Valencia's and the 4312's sounded similar, but not better. Then I bought the 4412's. Wow, they beat the Altecs hands down. Then after reading Zilches Quick and Dirty 4430's thread, I had to see what I might be able to do myself (With an awful lot of help from Zilch). I bought a pair of L-200 cabinets and fought all of the problems of finding the drivers. Eventually I had my own pair, and they are superb. They are used in the Library system, which is strictly two channel, and driven by Marantz models 3800 , 510M, and 115B.

My Valencias are now confined to the bedroom (two pairs) and the garage (1 pair). The Living room is for the mesquite Trusonics HT speakers I built, and the 4412's sit over the entertainment area. They are certainly nice to listen to at times, but the library is my listening area of choice.

Lunch in Portland sounds good, if I ever get there. I hope you really enjoy the 4412's. They are dynamite speakers, no doubt.

By the way, how do you refer to an older thread in a new post?

Hey Jack -

Want to sell those Vals?
    Hi Storm,

Of the three pairs I have, I might consider selling a pair. The price would be exorbitant. The pair in my avatar was restored by the cabinet maker who built the equipment enclosure, and are not for sale. The pair in my garage were purchased at the factory in Anahem in 1967, and are not for sale. One pair in the bedroom were restored by me, and may be for sale. The difference in the restored pairs is that the cabinet maker used a polyurethane finish, while the pair I did is simply oiled walnut.

Thread Information