Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL/UREI 6290 and 6260 Amps

JBL/UREI 6290 and 6260 Amps

I have never heard the above. Anyone have any experience with these amplifiers? If so what were your impressions. Thinking of grabbing a couple of them.

Thinking of using the 6260's in mono mode to drive dual 2235H's per side. 4 ohm load. Would be 600 watts per side.

Thanks.

JBL 6260 and 6290

Hey Ken,

I've been thinking along the same lines, but I haven't had a chance to check them out. Be aware that the 6290 has a two-speed fan, so you'll want to be using that in an environment where that is OK. The 6260 has a large finned heatsink at the back and no fan.

These amps seem to have a very solid build quality and are available at what seem to be very reasonable prices.

I'm thinking of them as bass and bass/mid amps, or full range in a simpler setup.

David

sa660

6260 impressions

The 6260 is very good amplifier and you will see that their is no fear that your dual 15" will be out of control.
    My brother is using a 6260 on a pair of 4435. He does not feel the need to bridge it for mono mode 1x600Watt @8 Ohms.
    They are very good and can be compare to the Amcrown DC300 II

Unfortunatly cannot compare with expensive high end Hi-fi model.

May be in future.

Good product and on the second hand market good value for money. I will not advise the 6290 for home use. The fan is very noisy.

Regards,

Niklas Nord
    A friend of mine here in Sweden uses these
    models for amping 2235H and 4435 studiomonitors.

it works perfect.

right now he is upgrading to Krell KSA 250 though..

JBL Dog
    I have three of the 6290's and they are outstanding amplifiers, IMHO. Very clean sounding, conservatively rated and reliable. One of the few amps on the market that you will actually double your power output going from 8 ohms (300 x 2) to 4 ohms (600 x 2). I am currently using mine with some EV SX100's full range for small club gigs and as part of of tri-amped system for mids/highs.

You may not like the fan noise as previously mentioned, but a 6290 may be the best value on the Ebay market at $250 - $350. They're pretty heavy at about 70 lbs. Factor that in if you are having them shipped to you. Good Luck!

This message comes from JBL Dog
    Last edited by JBL Dog; 12-18-2003 at 09:25 AM.

Thanks guys

I appeciate your input fellas.

Building a custom pair of 4355's and am shopping for new electronics.

Let me throw this out for opinion's:

Should I go quad amped with 4 way electronic crossover or bi amped with combo electronic and passive using higher end amps?

I suspect most would suggest bi amped with better amps?

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Pachkowsky; 12-18-2003 at 10:13 AM.

JBL Dog
    I would go biamped. Quad sounds like too much work. Also, wouldn't you be forced to go mono with quad? Does anyone make a "stereo" 4-way active crossover?

This message comes from JBL Dog

4-way electronic

There are many 4-way electronic crossovers out there. My Westlakes are 4-way. The problem becomes groundloops if mixing balanced and unbalanced lines. I still have a slight GL problems to this date. You can of course have the same problem with a 2-way system.

Originally posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Should I go ... bi amped with combo electronic and passive using higher end amps?
    Hey, Ken...

Since you're largely trying to authentically replicate the 4355's, I'd do it their way: active crossover bi-amped, and then passive crossover for MF/HF/UHF, using JBL specified xover points and slopes, and bypass caps. Mr. Widget made a beauty passive with the assistance of Giskard (and others...?), and his "rig" is astonishing.

Although, I hear tell he's adding some 2245H's for the rumble... I think it's 4345 envy, plain and simple!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hello Ken

I am quad amping using cascaded actives works fine. I had ground problems too then I changed amps to all Crown PS200's and got the balanced input boxes for them. As soon as I went balanced between the amps and the crossovers all my ground loop problems vanished. Made a big improvement in noise in the whole system. Didn't realize at the time how much noise I was living with that I just got used to. Cleaned up noise in my center channel too.

I would go biamp with a 5235 like Bo says. Experiment too maybe but that sure makes sense. When choosing your amps I tried to get amps I could stap easilly. With the Crowns I can strap with the flip on a switch. 2 strapped for the lowend and use a single for the highs for biamp or triamp. Gives you more flexabillity.

Rob

Originally posted by boputnam
    Hey, Ken...

Since you're largely trying to authentically replicate the 4355's, I'd do it their way: active crossover bi-amped, and then passive crossover for MF/HF/UHF, using JBL specified xover points and slopes, and bypass caps. Mr. Widget made a beauty passive with the assistance of Giskard (and others...?), and his "rig" is astonishing.

Although, I hear tell he's adding some 2245H's for the rumble... I think it's 4345 envy, plain and simple!

Well, as you know BO, I understand 4345 envy quite well.

I have always thought I would go bi-amped with a custom passive built by Widgy but was just getting some other opinions.

Earl also brought up an interesting point in one of the project threads. Why not incorporate some newer JBL technology in terms of drivers for a 43xx project. That got me to thinking.

Just did our taxes.....Julie saw what I spent last year on all this stuff. I hate the couch!!!

Gonna be fun.

Hope you and Susan are well. Julie says Hi.

Ken

Next I am buying a Hummer.

What's that Mike, Big is Good?

Originally posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Just did our taxes.....Julie saw what I spent last year on all this stuff.
    :shock: Are you trying to deduct all this as a business expense? Whoa... Come to papa!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    Next I am buying a Hummer.

What's that Mike, Big is Good?

Speak of the devil!

Whats this " You have 18 inch envy all about?

Ken

Not exactly, got a pair of 2245s for the HT set-up. At the rate I am going it'll be a year before they are in boxes. I can click "Buy it Now" much faster than I can keep up in the shop.

Thread Information