Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL C-37

JBL C-37

Hi All,

I'm new here and I have a question about JBL c-37 speakers. I have found a set close by but can not find much info on the web on them. Also what are they worth as the seller is"looking for offers, already have 12(offers)" How do these compare w/ the Altec Valencias?

Here is a pic

According to the seller everything is original and nothing has been reconed or tampered with. Here is some info I recieved from the seller

"Vintage JBL C-37 console reflex speakers for sale..Im the second owner,purchased some 2 decades ago.These are original factory JBL C-37 cabinets in excellent condition with original grills and metal tag logos..Loaded with D130 grey frames /175 black frame horns /075 black frame tweeters /N1200 blueframe crossovers and 3000 series crossovers(sorry cant remember the #s its been too many years since they been opened)..ALL RED SEALS INTACT/no recones etc etc etc."

Thoughts and info would be appreciated

Have no Idea of value but sounds like was bought as 030 system and upgraded and the crossover for the 075 should have been changed and wasn't. C37 would refer to the cabinet hopefuly someone more experienced in buying, selling, trading can advise you as to it's value. That was a very common way to get into Jbl at one time. Buy the d130, buy the 075 at another date and then save up for the 175 dlh perhaps my memory fails me and something was done that raised the 075 crossing point but I think you had to buy a n7000. Some people felt that if your funds were limited it was better to buy a speaker that reproduced whai it could accuratly rather than buy a speaker that played a fuller range poorley.
    The D130 which we almost for sure see peaking through the grill cloth have no foam and to imagine them still playing with no work 50 years from now is no leap of faith. If there is nothing wrong with them I wouldn't let a reconer into the neighbor hood. If your not used to them, they don't go real deep but an Ipod could play them loud and they have dynamic range, they have life They are what was the JBL sound.

If someone offered any thing around $600 it would be a very good offer I would think!!!

By the way sounds like those are yours and you are looking for free info and then we never hear from you again

Quote Originally Posted by Thom
    Have no Idea of value but sounds like was bought as 030 system and upgraded and the crossover for the 075 should have been changed and wasn't. C37 would refer to the cabinet hopefuly someone more experienced in buying, selling, trading can advise you as to it's value. That was a very common way to get into Jbl at one time. Buy the d130, buy the 075 at another date and then save up for the 175 dlh perhaps my memory fails me and something was done that raised the 075 crossing point but I think you had to buy a n7000. Some people felt that if your funds were limited it was better to buy a speaker that reproduced whai it could accuratly rather than buy a speaker that played a fuller range poorley.
    The D130 which we almost for sure see peaking through the grill cloth have no foam and to imagine them still playing with no work 50 years from now is no leap of faith. If there is nothing wrong with them I wouldn't let a reconer into the neighbor hood. If your not used to them, they don't go real deep but an Ipod could play them loud and they have dynamic range, they have life They are what was the JBL sound.
    Thanks for the info. I am new to the vintage audio thang and appreciate the help

Quote Originally Posted by John
    If someone offered any thing around $600 it would be a very good offer I would think!!!

By the way sounds like those are yours and you are looking for free info and then we never hear from you again
    Thanks for your price quote but why all the attitude? IS this how you greet all the new members?

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Everything
    Hi All,

I'm new here and I have a question about JBL c-37 speakers. I have found a set close by but can not find much info on the web on them. Also what are they worth as the seller is"looking for offers, already have 12(offers)" How do these compare w/ the Altec Valencias?

Here is a pic

According to the seller everything is original and nothing has been reconed or tampered with. Here is some info I recieved from the seller

"Vintage JBL C-37 console reflex speakers for sale..Im the second owner,purchased some 2 decades ago.These are original factory JBL C-37 cabinets in excellent condition with original grills and metal tag logos..Loaded with D130 grey frames /175 black frame horns /075 black frame tweeters /N1200 blueframe crossovers and 3000 series crossovers(sorry cant remember the #s its been too many years since they been opened)..ALL RED SEALS INTACT/no recones etc etc etc."

Thoughts and info would be appreciated
    I e-mailed the guy (they are listed on the local Craigslist).

The seller comes across like he has no idea what these are worth. He knows exactly what the market value is on these things. Yeah, well, I made a reasonable "sight-unseen", negotiable offer. He responds with the N1200's alone are worth $500. Really? Since when?

Then I see the pics. It looks like a cat has been spraying the bottom of the speaker grilles for 40+ years. Not the same cat, of course! He's been playing dumb about the fact there's grille damage.... "gee, I never noticed". Yeah, I know, and your wife's a retired super-model.

All those C37's are worth is what the parts will fetch. Roughly $1,500 if sold separately, assuming average condition. The value of the cabinets is somewhat diminished because the baffle on both cabinets has been augmented to accept an additional driver (the attempt at mirror-imaging looks a little funky). His attitude tells me he's looking for $2,500.00+. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL Dog
    I e-mailed the guy.

The seller comes across like he has no idea what these are worth. He knows exactly what the market value is on these things. Yeah, well, I made a reasonable "sight-unseen", negotiable offer. He responds with the N1200's alone are worth $500. Really? Since when?

Then I see the pics. It looks like a cat has been spraying the bottom of the speaker grilles for 40+ years. Not the same cat, of course! He's been playing dumb about the fact there's grille damage.... "gee, I never noticed". Yeah, I know, and your wife's a retired super-model.

All those C37's are worth is what the parts will fetch. Roughly $1,500 if sold separately, assuming average condition. The value of the cabinets is somewhat diminished because the baffle on both cabinets has been augmented to accept an additional driver (the attempt at mirror-imaging looks a little funky). His attitude tells me he's looking for $2,500.00+. Good Luck!
    Thanks for the info. I got the same fealing about it you did. I thought if I could get em cheap I would. I offered him less than you did . I'm sure I won't get a reply.

truth is they would sound better in a c40 or even better a c34

The value of the cabinets is somewhat diminished because the baffle on both cabinets has been augmented to accept an additional driver (the attempt at mirror-imaging looks a little funky).
    I'm sure you have access to better pictures than the one posted here, but I have a C37 with the 030 system (coincidentally purchased in St. Louis, new) that has the extra hole to fit the DL175H built-in and covered with an oddly-shaped 4-sided baffle plug from the factory. I know because I had to opportunity to add a 175 to the C37 nearly forty years ago. Just curious about what your comment meant. Thanks. And, yeah, it was obvious to me from the posted comments that the owner knows exactly what he has, even if his idea of their value is inflated. Some of the other stuff he mentions would be nice to see and have, too:
    I also have the original JBL factory catalog,2 JBL factory cabinet manuals,a JBL factory warranty card and 2 dealer JBL handoutsheets that came from the past owner

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom
    truth is they would sound better in a c40 or even better a c34
    That and, IMHO, the C37 is least desireable of the C34 through C40 vintage cabinets.

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA
    I'm sure you have access to better pictures than the one posted here, but I have a C37 with the 030 system (coincidentally purchased in St. Louis, new) that has the extra hole to fit the DL175H built-in and covered with an oddly-shaped 4-sided baffle plug from the factory. I know because I had to opportunity to add a 175 to the C37 nearly forty years ago. Just curious about what your comment meant. Thanks. And, yeah, it was obvious to me from the posted comments that the owner knows exactly what he has, even if his idea of their value is inflated. Some of the other stuff he mentions would be nice to see and have, too:
    Does the grille cloth on your C37's attach directly to the baffle? Or, is the grille cloth attached to a frame that slides in from the bottom of the cabinet?

I have a pair of C37's from around 1956. There's only one knockout to mount a high frequency driver (175/075) and it on the right side when facing the speaker. JBL may have gone with the "mirror-image" knockouts in the C37 sometime in the early 1960's. I know that is the case with the mid-to-late 60's version of the C38. The C37's that are the subject of this thread were not designed for mirror-imaging of the components. Someone added an 075/3105 at some point in time. The only factory issued 3-way in a C37 was an S18 component package (LE15A, 175DLH, 075, Lx5 and N7000)

That and, IMHO, the C37 is least desireable of the C34 through C40 vintage cabinets.
    Why do you say that? Just too big for most folk? My C37 has the black slide-out grille cloth on metal frame and the mirror-image baffle board.

Oddly, here they're listed as in Indiana?! http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-C-37...mZ230031687659

I've never seen the 030 in a Harkness. Lot's of 001 (D130A/LE175DLH,N1200), but not the 030. In fact it's not listed that way on JBL's recommended application chart. Was it just because the folded horn cabinets were so expensive that the reflex systems were considered the entry-level?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Everything
    Thanks for your price quote but why all the attitude? IS this how you greet all the new members?
    Hope I did not offend you, but I have seen quite a few guys come and go on the forum looking for info to make a quick buck by posing as a potential buyer but really they are just here for self promotion and then gone.

I figure if that is the sole motive then just list it on ebay and find out.

If you are really here to learn and contribute as you find your way around the would of jbl and audio well then disregard my rant and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA
    Why do you say that? Just too big for most folk? My C37 has the black slide-out grille cloth on metal frame and the mirror-image baffle board.

Oddly, here they're listed as in Indiana?! http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-C-37...mZ230031687659

I've never seen the 030 in a Harkness. Lot's of 001 (D130A/LE175DLH,N1200), but not the 030. In fact it's not listed that way on JBL's recommended application chart. Was it just because the folded horn cabinets were so expensive that the reflex systems were considered the entry-level?
    Seller told me he was in Lawrence County Illinois wich is right on the Illinois/Indiana border

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Hope I did not offend you, but I have seen quite a few guys come and go on the forum looking for info to make a quick buck by posing as a potential buyer but really they are just here for self promotion and then gone.

I figure if that is the sole motive then just list it on ebay and find out.

If you are really here to learn and contribute as you find your way around the would of jbl and audio well then disregard my rant and welcome.
    *Comment disregarded*

I'm here to stay . In the world of guitar I have been a huge fan of the Altec Lansing speakers for years.

I just bought my first vintage receiver(Sansui G-8700DB) and hope to be bringing home by this time next week a pair of Altec Valencias that I have money down on right now.

I'll be asking lots of questions as I learn.

Thread Information