Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Citation 16 for LF?

Quote Originally Posted by jbl_daddy View Post
    How does it sound, can you tell any difference? I had a HK 16a for some time, my father loves it. I gave it to him about ten years ago. I never could get my self to warm up to the led's in the front either. The three position switch for them was always off.
    Hi JBL daddy,

That amplifier just does what it has to do and that's amplifying the signal without adding anything to that signal.
    It has a lot of power which can be of importance when using low sensitive loudspeakers like my Celestion SL6 loudspeakers (84db).
    In my living-room i am using a Harman Kardon Citation 16a with a pair of JBL4312A Control Monitors and that amp is freewheeling with these sensitive loudspeakers.

Kind regards,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands.

Harman Kardon Citation pre-amp 17S and power-amp 16 Pro

Hi guys,

I have finished my Harman Kardon Citation 17S/16 Pro set-up. A pair of Celestion SL6 loudspeakers have been connected to the power-amp (first loudspeaker in the world that was designed by using lasertechnology and the Celestions have a copper tweeter; Sensitivity only 82db !!!).
    I made the stands of black painted MDF myself. Both amps were totally restored !!!

Kind regards,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jan_slagman; 03-10-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: improving text

Brings back memories

I too had a Citation 16 back in 76-77. Used it for a while when I was bi-amping my JBL 4350's (Phase Linear 700B on the bottoms). It sounded pretty good at the time. The lights were sort of silly. The one thing I hated were the thin chrome handles. This is a heavy amp and your fingers would barely fit through the opening and the damned handles were so thin it really dug into your fingers.

Oh well, memory lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post
    I too had a Citation 16 back in 76-77. Used it for a while when I was bi-amping my JBL 4350's (Phase Linear 700B on the bottoms). It sounded pretty good at the time. The lights were sort of silly. The one thing I hated were the thin chrome handles. This is a heavy amp and your fingers would barely fit through the opening and the damned handles were so thin it really dug into your fingers.

Oh well, memory lane.
    You're right Ken,

These chrome handles are too thin compared to the weight they have to carry when lifting up that amp. I think i will make a pair of handles myself (see examples below).

Kind regards,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands

hk citation 16

Hi all,
    I`am new on this forum,i am very far exactlt in the indian ocean <Mauritius>
    I have a HK16 for nearly 30 years and never had problem,
    it was used in my recording studio for some times
    ans was in a corner until today ,i have move to new home and connect the beast it was still going strong,just finished to listen to some grp album and now i would to have some help inorder to upgrade the amp and may be some tips with the guys who had already done it.
    i`am also in diy,have build few things,but thinking of the cloning of the 16 for triamp
    Thanks,this is a good forun
    Abes

citation 16/A

hey guys, first time here ,it made me smile when i saw this topic on the 16a
    everyone seems to have a unique memory of using or owning this amp
    Same here as this amp and myself have crossed paths at several times.
    The best one i owned was the first one i bought,a floor sample at a hi fi store i worked at . A guy from the base ordered it in, changed his mind and it sat in the window for months,until a co-worker and i plugged in in the soundroom with the Klipschorns and i was blown away.
    It was a 16/a and one of the last ones made. This one unfortunatly was later stolen from my home and we never found another one as mint as this or this particular version... most we found were the older versions.
    I do agree the discreet components make the difference and was apparent instanty from the earlier 16.
    I used this amp with my 81 cornwalls and found it very transparent.
    We did have some issues, the relay went, which we replaced with a more indusrial strength relay, and there was another issue with the bias setting
    After some tweaking it compares sonically or some cases exceeds its rivals.

I decided today to soon take the plunge for Cornwall 3's and hope to be able to track down another 16/A to power them, but has to be pretty darn mint.
    so far, the search continues..

enjoy the unit, they sound ok bridged too ive used the S model in clubs that way

ROb,

Always nice to hear such stories, keep them coming..

The 16A in the initial post has changed hands though. I have been very satisfied with the performance but alas, it had to go to make room for more tube gear. I would consider another unit anytime the need for a powerful clean sounding solid state amp arises here, but would probably pick one without the LEDs like Jan's, or Woody's (for sale here).

I shipped mine to France near the swiss border last summer, where the new owner from Genève picked it up. The 16A has now become part of another multi-amp system driving the speakers below.

Under the hood

Attached is a last pic of mine for comparison with post #29, with the original caps. The changes made here were more subtle and are not easy to see.. but quite effective.

Side story

My first amp/pre combo was the HK Citation 11/12 driving the original L100's. Couldn't afford the 16, but the shear size and power numbers along with the V leds made them an object I always lusted after. Never heard them, but a salesman told me my unit was sonically superior to the much more pricey beast--no idea.

Anyway the Citation 11 (60 wps) turned out to be the sweetest most musical amp I have ever known. More pleasing from a musicality perspective to any of the 16 different Brystons I have since owned. The Brystons, one of the most transparent amps on the market are supposed to be sonically superior and post way better numbers, but I always liked the sound of the Citation 11 better.

I have one that I haven't used in a while.

One of my son-in-laws was going to use it but never did, I just got it back.
    I'll have give it a listen soon.

Bare with me. I do not understand why you people does not understand that the AMP has been better ... over the years. ???

Harman Kardon Citation 17(S) and 16(A)

Hi guys,

After some 34 years i was so lucky to acquire the matching pre-amlifier to my Harman Kardon Citation 16a poweramplifier. Now i have two Harman Kardon Citation pre-and poweramplifiers (pre 17 and 17S; power 16 and 16A).

The 17S and 16 pro-line versions are connected to my JBL4312A Control Monitors.
    The 17 and 16A consumer versions are connected to a pair of Celestion SL6 or a pair of Rogers Studio 1 monitors.

Kind regards,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands

My home theater consists of amplifier Harman Kardon Citation 16A all bridged mono.I am a big fan of Harman Kardon Citation.

Waaoou

Large electricity bill ?

Stéphane

Don't they get kind of warm on those wood shelves?
    Don't you get kind of warm watching movies with all those Amps running in mono mode?
    Can you hear anything quiet anymore with ALL THAT POWER?

Quote Originally Posted by alnico View Post
    My home theater consists of amplifier Harman Kardon Citation 16A all bridged mono.I am a big fan of Harman Kardon Citation.

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information