Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Citation 16 for LF?

short_circutz
    I have two of them. Came with an assortment of JBL/Harman gear we bought from a bar that had closed here years ago (I was just getting into high school at the time). Also got a pair of 2202, pair of 2440 with lenses, and 2405 slots , 4 K145, and a 5232 w/250hz cards.

One has a dead channel, the other is still working flawlessly. We've used them for everything from PA cabs to my dad's bass guitar rig (sounds nice on an E140 in a 6 cu ft cab for bass guitar) using the pre section of his Traynor MK3 bass head.

Update

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Becker View Post
    I think this is a really good Amp. When you use it with your 4343 may be two Citation 16 in Mono is not bad
    still have the 16A.. I'm quite happy with what replaced it for the 4343's low end. I do intend to use it in near future in bridged mode instead, but for the 2245H lying around here.. still hoping for someone to come up with a batch of cc'ed BX63A's as menaced a while back..

Several components in post #12 have left the chain for something better in the interim. The TT is up and running though, fitted with a real SME 3009 Series II (not the later "improved" S2).

Quote Originally Posted by Fangio View Post
    still have the 16A.. I'm quite happy with what replaced it for the 4343's low end. I do intend to use it in near future in bridged mode instead, but for the 2245H lying around here.. still hoping for someone to come up with a batch of cc'ed BX63A's as menaced a while back..

Several components in post #12 have left the chain for something better in the interim. The TT is up and running though, fitted with a real SME 3009 Series II (not the later "improved" S2).
    Still have my HK Cit.16a since 1978 and i bought it when new. Last Sunday i bought a Harman Kardon 17S Pro pre-amp and a Harman Kardon Citation 16 Pro power-amp. The amps are connected to a pair of Celestion SL6 loudspeakers, the first loudspeakers that were developed using lasertechnology. The set has an extremely wide soundstage, the bass sounds very tight and controlled, and they have a very smooth and detailed mid-and high section.

Greetz,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands,

Obsolete
    Very nice Jan. I was always a fan of that backend gear. It sounded really nice.

Harman Kardon Citation 16 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Very nice Jan. I was always a fan of that backend gear. It sounded really nice.
    Hi 4313B,

Thanks for your comments. In my livingroom i have a Harman Kardon Citation 16a connected to a pair of JBL4312A Control Monitors. The CD-player is Marantz CD-94/II with the matching DAC Marantz CDA-94. This set-up sounds pretty good. Using the JBL4312A's i don't have the same bassproblems i had using the JBL L110's and JBL L112's. Compared to the set-up set in my hobbyroom (see pic) i have to conclude that set is sounding more musically. Although these Celestion speakers ain't that big they have a big sound with an enormous wide soundstage and depth.
    It sounds almost holographic !!!

Kind regards,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands.

HK16A great amp.

I got one a clearance sale many years ago. I think it was about $200. John

Do you guys find your Citation 16's run a bit on the hot side at low levels???

If so is it because of the class A operation at low output levels?

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

Yes, John that's correct !!! Nothing to worry about. Yes indeed, it is because of the Class A mode at low output levels (about 70 till 80 degrees Celsius).

Greetz,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands.

Yes class A at low levels.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

I think it was class A up to 7 watts, over 7 watts it would run class AB.
    Yes it runs warm at idle and low levels! John

Thanks, it's good to know. I think that is why I had to replace the power supply caps. The original one's were cooked.

Just gorgeous - I love the old amps - got a bridged Citation 22 running my B380, but its tiny compared to that monster!
    Thanks so much for sharing ...!

Quote Originally Posted by jan_slagman View Post
    Still have my HK Cit.16a since 1978 and i bought it when new.
    Last Sunday i bought a Harman Kardon 17S Pro pre-amp and a Harman Kardon Citation 16 Pro power-amp.
    The amps are connected to a pair of Celestion SL6 loudspeakers, the first loudspeakers that were developed
    using laser technology. The set has an extremely wide soundstage, the bass sounds very tight and controlled,
    and they have a very smooth and detailed mid-and high section.

Greetz,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands,
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

The more power the tighter it gets. For years I ran three Crown DC300 Series II on a pair of B380's in my living room. About three years ago I purchased a pair of Crown K1's to bi-amp my 4340's and a single Crown K2 for the pair of B380's in the same room. It is a different experiance all togeather. The system has more attack than anything I have heard in a long time. The other gear sounded good just not as tight.

Ps. the K1's and K2 never run hot, no matter how hard you push them.

The same experience as you

Hi JBL Daddy,

I had the same experience as you when using a Bryston 3b for the low end and the Harman Kardon Citation 16a for the mid-and high section.
    I had both poweramps connected to two Infinity Quantum 2 loudspeakers.
    I bought that equipment wayback in 1978. Nowadays i only have the harman Kardon Citation 16a left, using it with two JBL4312A Control Monitors.

Greetz,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands.

upgraded Harman Kardon Citation 16a

Quote Originally Posted by jan_slagman View Post
    Hi JBL Daddy,

I had the same experience as you when using a Bryston 3b for the low end and the Harman Kardon Citation 16a for the mid-and high section.
    I had both poweramps connected to two Infinity Quantum 2 loudspeakers.
    I bought that equipment wayback in 1978. Nowadays i only have the harman Kardon Citation 16a left, using it with two JBL4312A Control Monitors.

Greetz,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands.
    Hi,

This picture is showing the interior of my totally upgraded Harman Kardon Citation 16a. The four black pipes are Siemens long-life caps.
    We cut off the leds on the front because they have no function. We used one of the knobs to built in a a volumecontrol and we built in a Noble potentiometer (see the long shaft), The Noble potentiometer was placed right before the input.

Kind regards,

Jan slagman
    The Netherlands.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How does it sound, can you tell any difference? I had a HK 16a for some time, my father loves it. I gave it to him about ten years ago. I never could get my self to warm up to the led's in the front either. The three position switch for them was always off.

Thread Information