Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bluegrass

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    If you live any where near the Bay area there is an investment banker that puts on a blue grass (sic) and some other stuff show every year for free for two days in speedway meadows, this year they had 5 stages and it's free. ... It's called the "Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival"
    The funder is Warren Hellman - he is a really nice guy and has an amazingly big heart for the genre but as you noted has widened the target to include quite a variety of music and artists.

Sound is annually provided by Sound on Stage - a fabulous group based in the bay area. Mains are uniformly L-Acoustics V-DOSC linearrays flown and subs along front of stage. The smallest of the stages this year used the 115XT HiQ's arrayed (I run a small array of the XT's as my rig ). SoS does a phenomenal job - the sound support is unending. Great people, all through the organization. I use them for larger gigs and was lucky to crewed Rooster Stage this year - hours of work and great fun.

-----

Back to Allison Krause - I think one of her best is "New Favorite", which introduced Jerry Douglas joining her touring ensemble. Great mastering. I'd avoid the recent "Allison Krause + Union Station LIVE" CD - there is far too much crowd noise fake-o edited-in between and during tracks. Very distracting from the artistry.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Wow, can I relate to this thread. To me bluegrass is one very advanced artform, rather like jazz. The surprising thing is that Bill Monroe developed the entire concept before his first bluegrass band ever played a note. This was not an evolution but a revolution. He had very concrete ideas about what a great acoustic band should sound like. He left his partnership with his brother, formed a band and got it as we now know it on the first try. I sometimes think that if my Christian friends make it to heaven, when they see Him on His throne he will look suspiciously like Bill Monroe.

Years ago I saw Alison Krauss and Union Station on Austin City Limits (PBS television). I was absolutely stunned by their talent. Knocked flat on my rear. I had heard of them, as she is from Champaign, not far from here and a town where I have worked and lived. But never heard them before. Their wonderful AKUS Live (sorry, that is what we fans say instead of Alison Krauss + Union Station ) DVD has bonus material that pretty much explains where all this greatness comes from. Sadly, I have never seen them live. I tried to buy a ticket for a downtown Peoria concert years ago, but when I got to the ticket window I found out the concert had been canceled due to lack of interest. God Damn!!! That was before they got big and she got small. She used to be a lot heavier, and believe me she was still beautiful. She sang like an angel from the start.

Now David Grisman is another fellow who has been brilliant from the beginning. Check out his David Grisman Quintet work with the young Tony Rice playing Clarence White's Martin (Clarence White I saw with the Byrds. There is a string deity). Dawg fans unite!

On another note, my late Father worked for Shure Brothers for 24 years. I was more into the phono cartridges than the mics, but I knew how good they were. I still have a V15 Type III cart prototype he gave to me.

Clark in Peoria, Proud of even the weakest Alison Krauss connection.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

One of the Grisman Garcia CD's has some Tony Rice on it. I hate to say it but I didn't think the sound was nearly as good this year. Nothing wrong with it I just think it was better in previous years. Maybe they spread themselves a bit thin. Having 5 stages and having them not play over each other I'm sure took some precision and they pulled that off. But in past years when they ran three stages if I'm not mistaken they ran some bigger stuff on the main stage, Also this year you had to decide what you were not going to get to hear. It's amazing some of the people who played with Bill Monroe at various times. I know Richard Greene did and Peter Rowen did. From what I heard he was so tough that he ran through people like water.

Thread Information