Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making One SR4731x into Two cabs

Making One SR4731x into Two cabs

Howdy folks. I just got a SR4731x with the dual 12" LF drivers and the magnificent HF driver 2447J. I am an amateur in audio box building but have carpentry experience and access to a full-bore cabinet shop.

My question is if I find another 2447j on ebay and used an electronic crossover to bi-amp, is it feasible to make two cabinets out of the one SR4731x, yielding boxes with one 12" LF driver and one 2447J each?

How would I figure out what the size of the cab should be?

Medium Density Fiberboard is probably the best material, right?

The primary purpose of these cabs will be to use as a PA for blues/rock noodling and jamming in my 30 ft by 20 ft home studio.

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

Minatogawaman
    Takasaki City
    Japan

Can you make some sketches of your intended subdivision of the cab?

David

RIP 2009
    JBL's made a number of high-power 12" 2-way systems similar to what you're talking about, so the design is definitely feasible.

John

Tom Loizeaux
    ... but the 2 12s working together really sound great! You'll lose some punch and a little low end if you go with just one 12.

Tom

Thanks Everyone

Thank you all for your input. I am still wondering what to do, but perhaps the best bet is to buy two more 12" LF drivers and put my extra HF driver in a custom cab with those...

...but that would require spousal clearance for a $600 purchase and take up even more space in our typical Japanese home (Ever heard the rabbit-hutch jokes?)

Minatogawaman

Quote Originally Posted by Minatogawaman View Post
    . . . . (Ever heard the rabbit-hutch jokes?) . . . .
    No, but eagerly waiting.

David

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Minatogawaman View Post
    ...my extra HF driver
    Do you have the second HF driver, (and horn)? I've got some leftover JBL cabinets that housed a 2206H and 2446/2380 combination I'l let go for free, (packing/shipping costs only). What is the size of the horn?

John

Sounds Great!

Wow, I do indeed have the second HF driver with the same 2381 horn as is on the SR4731x.

My address is a military FPO AP at US zip code 96328. I would really appreciate it. I can paypal you whatever it costs to ship them via US Postal Service Parcel Post, throwing in a little bit for the trouble.

The only snag is if the Cabs weigh more than 70lbs or have length + circumference that exceeds 130 inches...then I am SOL, but still appreciate your offer.l

RIP 2009
    OK - these are the cabinets I have, (I actually have 3 of them). http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/AS%...AS2212-STD.pdf See if the dimensions fall within what you want for your cabinet size, and we'll go from there.

Your 2447 drivers are a little shallower than the 2446, but that should be OK. But can you measure the front dimension of your 2381 to be sure it's the same size as the 2380, (17.5" wide x 11" high).

Also, these cabinets don't have true crossovers - rather, they have some hi-pass caps for HF driver protection. They're exactly what's shown in that JBL doc.

John

Thanks, John

The enclosures are just what I was hoping for! Lack of true crossovers is not a problem since I will likely use an electronic crossover to bi-amp them. The horn will fit so no worries there.

Please email me at [email protected] or send me a private message via the forum to let me know how I can best send the money for shipping and handling.

Since it looks like you are somewhere in the wonderful state of California from your profile on the forum, I punched in a zip code in L.A. and my own FPO AP 96328 along with the dimensions and maximum allowable weight of 70 lbs at http://postcalc.usps.gov/ just to get a general idea...it was about $60 a piece, not bad for something so heavy going all the way to Japan!

Please let me know if you would be interested in something from Japan as a token of my appreciation. I will also add some extra money for your trouble and packing materials. The enclosures look pretty roadworthy so they should make it here just fine.

I cannot tell you how much this helps me out. I will try to pass on a good turn to someone else in need.

Thanks again for your generosity.

Happy holidays
    Chris aka "Minatogawaman"

RIP 2009
    Chris - do they have to go U.S. Post, or can they be FedEx'd to your FBO AP?

I may not get a real chance to get going on these until after the holidays - is that OK? If you're in a real hurry, I might be able to get them out between Christmas and New Years.

John

After New Years would be Fine

John

Thanks for the speedy reply. I am not in a hurry for the cabs so after the New Year would be fine.

Unfortunately, they must be shipped via US Postal Service to my FPO AP. FEDEX, UPS or DHL would probably cost at least $750 to ship the pair. As I mentioned before, I would be more than happy to send extra money for your gasoline, time and trouble.

In case you were wondering, FPO AP are U.S. post offices located in embassies and one military bases worldwide. The cost of shipping to an AP (Armed Forces Pacific) from anywhere in the USA is the same as shipping to San Francisco, the military takes it the rest of the way for free.

Can you accept paypal payments?

All the best
    Chris

RIP 2009
    Yeah, I can do PayPal. If you'd like them to arrive best, (they're in excellent shape), are you willing to spend about $30 for packing materials? Otherwise, I'll just wrap 'em in cardboard.

BTW - I'm just north of San Francisco. Can I drop them off, or do I still have to go through the P.O.?

John

Sounds good

Sure, how about $30 for packing and $30 for gas and the trouble of shipping them? That would make it somewhere around $180 for everything, but we should check to make sure it is enough for shipping from your zip.

John, FEDEX OK to AZ

John

If it is less of hassle for you, you could send them via FEDEX or UPS to my brother in Arizona (Shonto, AZ 86504) and then he could take them to the PO and mail them to me. I realize the Post Office is a lot of messing around and want to make it as effortless for you as possible.

Please let me know.

All the best
    Chris

Thread Information