Thread: Big MTM: 2226J's w/ BMS 4592Nd, Horn recommendations? *system pics added*

jlharden

Big MTM: 2226J's w/ BMS 4592Nd, Horn recommendations? *system pics added*

Hello!

I'm interested in exploring this configuration. It will be biamped with my 2a3 Paraglow II mono amps powering the BMS 4592Nd, and probably a Crown K1 on the JBL 2123J's. Active crossover(DBX Driverack 260) somewhere between 500-800Hz depending on horn selected. I'm contemplating sealed enclosure for the 2226's keeping the transient response high and should be super clean from 80hz or so up to the crossover point. With this plan I'll run stereo subwoofers, 2245's would be good, but I'd like to get away with a little smaller cabinet. Perhaps I'll go the route of one of the new high powered, massive motored monsters like the big TC Sounds drivers(unless someone has some unneeded sub1500's I could purchase!) Subwoofer amplification is Crown K2.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for what the optimal and obtainable horn would be for the BMS 4592 drivers in this application? Thanks for any recommendations and please feel free to critique my idea. Way better now than later!

Best regards,
    Jerrod
    Last edited by jlharden; 12-06-2006 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Added Pictures

jlharden
    Along a pure JBL theme.....I also have a mint pair of 077's. I could use a 2446/2445/2441/24?? (recommendations?) with 2382A's/2380's/2397's. It wouldn't be the point source of the BMS, but perhaps slightly better drivers? I do have in my possesion 2426J's/2370A's, but think perhaps the 2" drivers would be better allowing a lower crossover point for the 2226's. Trades anyone?

Is this for home hi fi?
    What are you listening to now?

David

jlharden

Current JBL system(pics)

Hello!

Yes, for home system.

Current speaker system: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jerrod_h...60762364297484

36" x 36"x 30" folded bass horn, Fitzmaurice designed T36, vertical baffle with 15" JBL 2226H, powered by Crown K2 amplifier

12x 24 conical midrange horn with 10" JBL 2123J 200-1.6k
    JBL 2426J/2370A 3rd [email protected] 1.6k-
    JBL 077 20k/1st order xover -20k

Upper horn section uses passive crossover, powered by Bottlehead Paraglow II SET monoblock amps(many mods)
    Active crossover between bass horn and upper horns(Driverack 260)

Rest of electronics:
    Rega Apollo cdp
    Rega P5/PSU TT
    XM Satelite receiver
    Bottlehead extended Foreplay III preamp w/ Goldpoint surface mount resistor attenuator's, Elma selector, Mundorf Silver&Oil Caps (many more mods)
    Bottlehead Seduction w/ C4S phono preamp
    PS Audio Power Director 3.5
    PS Audio UPC-200
    PS Audio Noise Harvestors
    Jenson Transformer unbalanced-balanced transformer
    custom Belden power cables
    custom fine silver/teflon insulated braided interconnects with Eichmann Bullet Plugs/Nuetrik XLR
    custom 16 gauge, fine silver/teflon insulated twisted pair speaker cable
    custom constrained layer rack with stainless stell rods, maple/walnut

etc, etc,........

Jerrod
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by jlharden; 12-06-2006 at 07:19 AM. Reason: bad spelling!

TimG
    I have used the BMS 4590 with the JBL 2380 and the DDS 2-90X. I prefer the DDS. I used the BMS crossover and had to add additional components to take out a peak in the response around 18-20kHz. I have measurements saved on my other computer if you are not in a hurry. Are you planning on just using JBL 2226's with the BMS? With the DDS horn you could build an MTM with a crossover around 500Hz.

That's funny. I was going to point you to Bill's designs when I read what you wrote about the box size of the new sub. I see you're familiar...

I run the old standard T24/DR250 with cheap tweets as a bass guitar rig with a vintage Fender head and it just knocks people out. I never seriously considering using any of his boxes for hifi as I like a big wide range horn in the middle and don't want to go 4-way. Dealing with a 400Hz-ish bass horn cut-off as I am with my Klipsch is tricky enough, let alone the relatively narrow BW of Bill's little monsters.

I have been curious about how the rig would sound with decent HF elements and a processor.

Anyway, I can't answer your question - just a nod to the Fitzhorns...
    Last edited by Ben Clarke; 12-06-2006 at 11:53 PM. Reason: I hate typos.

jlharden
    Hi Tim,

My idea was a big mtm using the 2226J's I have and a BMS 4592. I crave a little deeper response than the 2226's can deliver, so I'd accompany the combo with a pair of quality subwoofers. I've heard good things about the DDS horns and 500 hz would be great. I think it would make a good system. Thanks for the recommendation. I would be interested in that schematic when you have time to find it.

Thanks,
    Jerrod

jlharden
    Hi Ben,

The big Fitz horn is nice. I had hoped it would like the high(ish) crossover point necessary to reach the midrange horns, but it's much better crossed lower. I could add the four 2226's to this system with another amplifier and probably have a solid system. If I had more room that's what I'd do. That or build a pair of midbass horns to mount above the other cluster. Honestly the whole system is getting messy. I like things to be no more complicated than necessary. In an attempt to extract all the efficiency possible I built the upper horn cluster. I then added the bass horns to "keep up". It really does perform well, but I'm looking for a more cohesive sound. I'm exploring the big JBL mtm's and also some large, non JBL dipole open baffle mtm's using a 15" coaxial driver and two 15" bass drivers. My wife has noticed that all my speakers are "big"!

Jerrod

jlharden

JBL MTM project on hold!

JBL project caught in suspended animation while I dive into the world of the large open baffle. Heading for big coaxials with an array of ob woofers. Triamped of course! My first completely non-JBL setup in a long time. Wish me luck!

Jerrod

Thread Information