Thread: Need a sound advice !!

Need a sound advice !!

I have a pair of 4313B for the moment powered with a Harman-Kardon AVR435 and im pretty satisfied with the sound.But they need some more power,,i have 2 power amps to choose from...First a Accuphase P-250 and second a Phase Linear 400...Do anybody here any experience with these old amps or can you maybe recomend any other power amp that can do this fine speakers justice..
    Thanks in advace .

Frankly neither,

The Phase Linear is prone to failure and sounds horrible in the highs. The Accuphase lacks dynamics. Buy a larger current model HK or a new Marantz. Old amps that sound really good like the SAE's, Threshold's and Boulders's are hard to find.

You are probably better off going into a Pro Music (equipment) shop and buying a studio amp for a reasonable price.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Frankly neither,

The Phase Linear is prone to failure and sounds horrible in the highs. The Accuphase lacks dynamics. Buy a larger current model HK or a new Marantz. Old amps that sound really good like the SAE's, Threshold's and Boulders's are hard to find.

You are probably better off going into a Pro Music (equipment) shop and buying a studio amp for a reasonable price.

Ian
    Well, I can agree with some of what Ian says (about the Phase), but I do not agree about Accuphase. Use that one if you can't buy a amp with newer technology. In my opinion do NOT buy a cheap pro-amp.

For me SAE on JBL sounds like a stone .. hard with little musicality. Threshold? some models maybe ... Boulders I know nothing about them.

Thanks both of you for your replies !

I already got both amps,,but they need some small repair.
    So I think i will repair the accuphase then,,or maybe i will sell them both and buy something else..

Before buying this Avr435 amp i had a Denon Pma -2000R powering them ,,a lot of power yes but sounded awful in my ears.Hehe

Quote Originally Posted by SJOSTRAND View Post
    Thanks both of you for your replies !

I already got both amps,,but they need some small repair.
    So I think i will repair the accuphase then,,or maybe i will sell them both and buy something else..

Before buying this Avr435 amp i had a Denon Pma -2000R powering them ,,a lot of power yes but sounded awful in my ears.Hehe
    That would be a good idea. Sell them both, and put some money in it and buy a better amp. If you are interested I got some for sale I know sound very good on JBL's. PM me if you are interested.

Too bad you don't have access to cheap D-Series Crown amps over there like we do here. Seems like all across the U.S. there are movie theaters being torn down or upgraded and you can pick up a D150A-IIs for under $200, or less than the cost to repair a Phase Linear 400. The DC300A-IIs aren't going for much more. I have pairs of 4412As and L112s running with D150A-IIs and I swap them with a PS-200 for comparison purposes. Neither amp cost more than $150 and both sound great with those JBLs. I loaned one of my original D150A-IIs to a friend whose PL-400 blew up (That's why they've earned the name Flame Linear, and miraculously it didn't take his speakers with it), but he insists he needs more power for his late-model tower speakers like B&W or something of that sort. Either the D150A-II or the PS-200 would give you a power boost over the H-K AVR435, and two of them bridged should be more than enough. Just my attempt at keeping it all in the Harmon family.....

I used an Crown XTi-1000 on my l65's for a while. It sounded quite good. I found that i prefered it to ICE based amplifiers. Its also alot cheaper. Great value. And it will beat the HK hands down!

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I used an Crown XTi-1000 on my l65's for a while. It sounded quite good. I found that i prefered it to ICE based amplifiers. Its also alot cheaper.
    Not such a good reputation for their current PA amps used for home Hi-Fi. They are really intended as low-cost DJ items, but if you like it, who am I to judge.

Thread Information