Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Model 19's vs Altec 846U Valencia SHOWDOWN COMING SOON!

Post Model 19's vs Altec 846U Valencia SHOWDOWN COMING SOON!

My dad just purchased a pair of Model 19's. We are taking a trip to pick them up next saturday.

He agreed to let me have a showdown between the 19's and the 846 Valencias before they go to his condo.

So, starting on December 10th I will be updating this post and will send pictures and analysis of the showdown.

Anyone in the Phoenix area is welcome to come to the showdown to see for themselves which one of these beasts wins.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALTEC-NINETEEN-1...QQcmdZViewItem

No, that is not my eBay ID - that is my fathers. My ID for anyone who cares is Ocupatto.

I can't wait! I am so glad my dad has the bank roll to do this showdown, because even with slapping on a credit card, my funds are strapped.

Who knows, maybe I will buy them from him and give him my 846's or even sell those to fund these.

I am so excited!

I have both (Flamencos & 19's) but I haven't done an A/B comparison because I would have to move furniture to convert my LR into a test area then bring the electronics and the 19's down from the second floor. That's just too much work for an old guy like me. LOL All I know is that I had the Flamenco's for about 5 years and although I enjoyed them after I added tweeters, I always thought they were not quite right and I had a problem with one note bass that got pretty boring. I think the 19's are much more listenable in that they just sound smoother across the audio spectrum and the bass is more real and extended once you get used to the lack of the one note boom. Everything is more real. I was stunned by classical guitar, piano and voice. Good jazz recordings are awesome. I'm still playing with a tweeter for that top sparkle but using a simple 6db xover on the tweeter and using the 802 out to it's upper limits is fussy business trying to get the right overlap. I sent the 802's to Great Plains for a recharge and rebuild so maybe that issue will fall into place better once I get them back. I see that "Dad's" 19's don't have the foam inserts around the 811's either. Seems they all pretty much fell a part years ago. I did order replacements from Dan Darst and it will be interesting to see exactly what they do. It makes sense that they help with diffraction issues along the 811 baffle and cabinet edges but how much difference? I figured the $48.50 shipped wasn't so bad to find out.
    I'm really looking forward to your comparison.

Dave

Gary L
    FINALLY! Its about time Storm, hope the showdown goes well and also hope the 19s are performing up to spec when you do the A/B test.
    Remember they are around 30 years old and one mans opinion of "Performing Flawlessly" may not be as accurate as many would hope.

Alnico magnets are wonderfull but they do loose strength over time and when ran hard. 30 year old diaphrams can also be quite brittle or may even have been replaced with junky after market varieties rather then the GPA 34647s. XOs may also be out of spec and could benefit from new caps.
    A/B testing is worthless if the playing field is not level or the equipment is out of spec.

BTW. The photos of your dads auction state "Oiled Walnut Finish" Granted the photos are pretty poor but they sure do look like the Oak versions to me. This could be a good thing because the Walnuts are way more common for the 19 finish.

Looking forward to your future report.

Gary

Aloha Storm

After doing the testing and comparison with the speakers on the floor, raise them up and do another set of tests.
    When we had the living room carpet cleaned, we put my Valencia's up on the kitchen table. The difference was so amazing that I now have them sitting on top a pair of JBL 4435's that I recently picked up.

Steve

Raised.

I do have my Valencias raised. I put them each on 5" inch cinder blocks. It helped raise the horns to ear level and they sound fantastic.

Maybe, that is why others rave about the 19's - they appear to be more at ear level without having to make adjustments.

Should be an interesting showdown - I can't wait.

Current setup below - left speaker.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

nice setup Storm. I would try for even more height off the floor if you can manage it.

Whats the cool looking walnut box on top of the speaker ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Gary L
    You had to rub that Mic box in didn't you SEAWOLF! The only reason it is not in my stable is Storm was quicker on the trigger!

I personally think it looks terrible on those light speakers and should be on a darker cabinet like the ones I have.

Gary

box and level.

Yes, that is the mic box that Seawolf sold me. I love it! I use it for my car keys and wallet - very nice and convienient place to put them.

I actually like having the contrast between the light and dark - does not bother me at all.

Why would I want to raise them higher? They are at perfect ear height when in my listening chair.

Gary - why did you want that box? Yeah, I was pretty darn fast.

Like the poster? I got that off eBay months ago and it is never being sold - I love that ALOT!

Gary L
    That box will look nice anywhere it is displayed. I wanted it for the same reason you did, Pretty, well made, Altec and I love quality made wood stuff.
    I would have used it for my TT extras like Cartridges, scale and other LP related gadgets. I have made many and can easily make another so no big deal.
    I agree your speakers are at the right height when the horns are at ear level from your listening position. 19s sound sweeter to me because of this as well as better HF drivers and XOs. If the ones your dad got are sounding correct you will soon understand.
    I have said this before to you regarding your speakers, If you can't be with the one you love-love the one your with. Nothing wrong with what you have I just like the ones your dad has better.

Gary

Central Illinois: "Does it Play in Peoria"
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I do have my Valencias raised. I put them each on 5" inch cinder blocks. It helped raise the horns to ear level and they sound fantastic.

Maybe, that is why others rave about the 19's - they appear to be more at ear level without having to make adjustments.

Should be an interesting showdown - I can't wait.

Current setup below - left speaker.
    Hi Storm , I my journey up the Altec home speaker foodchain I have often ask myself should the next stop be the Valencias or the Model 19's ... so please be sure to update your post as soon as the "showdown" takes place ...

That Altec poster in your photo is really SWEET The real sign of a "collector" is they grab up everything with the name on it ... signs, poster, boxes, beltbuckles, etc ... and should you be just a little short of cash for that next speaker purchase ... that poster & box would look real nice in my "little tiny just starting out" Altec collection
    "And on my death bed I will achieve total audio conciousness, so I got that going for me, which is nice"

Why would I want to raise them higher? They are at perfect ear height when in my listening chair.
    Just appeared "lower than ear level" from the pix. I'm in the process of raising the height on the 4410's and really starting to hear the difference. If yours are "right" , now,,,leave them that way. Maybe find "nicer than cinder block" stands ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Gary L
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Just appeared "lower than ear level" from the pix. I'm in the process of raising the height on the 4410's and really starting to hear the difference. If yours are "right" , now,,,leave them that way. Maybe find "nicer than cinder block" stands ?
    I'd agree here and looks like in his room some of those nice glass blocks might be just the ticket. Might even find them in a color that will match you other glass items.

Gary

Is Christmas coming early?

My dad just purchased a pair of Model 19's. We are taking a trip to pick them up next saturday.

He agreed to let me have a showdown between the 19's and the 846 Valencias before they go to his condo.

So, starting on December 10th I will be updating this post and will send pictures and analysis of the showdown.

Anyone in the Phoenix area is welcome to come to the showdown to see for themselves which one of these beasts wins.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALTEC-NINETEEN-1...QQcmdZViewItem

No, that is not my eBay ID - that is my fathers. My ID for anyone who cares is Ocupatto.

I can't wait! I am so glad my dad has the bank roll to do this showdown, because even with slapping on a credit card, my funds are strapped.

Who knows, maybe I will buy them from him and give him my 846's or even sell those to fund these.

I am so excited!

Unless you are a weight lifter, I would recommend a hand truck for the move. They can be picked up, but your back could suffer. They will eat up a lot of space. Make arrangements for where they will go in advance. And have fun. I sure have.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Proposition?

Zilch or anyone else in CA? - would it be possible that after I pick up the Model 19's, can I get them checked out by one of you experts?

I can bring the beer, even though I don't drink.

-Storm

I'd be pleased to check them out for you, Storm.

Problem is, ZilchLab is 425.7 miles from where you're picking them up near Fontana, no?

You'll want someone in the Los Angeles area to do that, I'd think....

Thread Information