Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Model 19's vs Altec 846U Valencia SHOWDOWN COMING SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Sound quality is quite good. Better than cassette.
    I guess "the quality of a cassette" is a rather broad standard... I am actually amazed at the sound quality of the cassettes that my old Nak puts out... there is tape hiss and if that's a deal breaker for you then analog is likely not your bag, but if you don't mind a little tape hiss, the spatial cues are reproduced far better than what you get on CDs.

Widget

Gary L
    It is $12.95/month. $10 to sign up. For that fee you also get streaming XM on your broadband internet connection.
    Ask Xm about deals when you extend your contract out to three and five years.
    I have been a subscriber since its beginning and think I paid around $475 for the five year plan which is right around $8 per month and I know I am keeping it at least that long. They did increase the monthly subscription last year to $12.95 but kept the breaks for current customers and long term subscriptions.
    All I can add is how sweet it is to not have to listen to 20 minutes of advertising every hour. Commercial free is worth its weight in gold to me and I wish TV could get off the commercial junk as well. Bad enough I have to pay for the signal to get to my house but I timed the commercials in a half hour show and it was nearly 13 minutes of the 30. Seems the more popular the show is the more commercials there are.

Gary

I think the key to the best cassette sound is what you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I guess "the quality of a cassette" is a rather broad standard... I am actually amazed at the sound quality of the cassettes that my old Nak puts out... there is tape hiss and if that's a deal breaker for you then analog is likely not your bag, but if you don't mind a little tape hiss, the spatial cues are reproduced far better than what you get on CDs.

Widget
    referred to as Nakamichi. I knew they were good but never have heard one. Always wanted a Dragon, but didn't pull the trigger. You've piqued my interest, though.

Sorry to continue this OT subject...

A few years ago I saw a refurbished Nakamichi 700 Tri-Tracer with manuals and optional remote for $250... even though I had absolutely no need for such a thing I just couldn't say no... I had always thought they were absolutely beautiful... I bought it.

I only play it occasionally, but every time I do, I am stunned by just how good it is... there is a reason these things cost $700 when your basic Teac was $200.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thats in good condition

There is not many like that in good condition.

Altec Model Seven Vs. B&W DM2

For those people who are interested me and a mate are having a home theatre war to see which system better and am ganna KILL HIS CHEAP SYSTEM evan if he uses his CREST Power Amp. My System sounds alot nicer than his a becides hes using car subs a bit over kill. that reminds me i need to get a new trebble pot for my amp as the old one is dead on one side.
    Last edited by SoundFrenic1; 12-23-2006 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spellling
    Altec Model Seven
    Phillips TA8000
    Technics SH8015

Nightbrace
    Hmm, Storm, what are your findings??

Am considering buying a set of 878A Santiagos, how will they compare to the 19's? Never owned these or heard them before. Was hoping someone who has owned them both could let me know what the difference may be...

Gary L
    Wish I could help you with the Santiagos Nightbrace. I heard them many years ago when deciding on which ones to buy and I remember the 19s won the battle hands down so I bought them. I can't remember what the Santiagos where lacking though.
    I know they have a 15" woofer but it is the 411-8A Vs the 416-8A in the Valencias and 19s. Also believe the SPL are a bit less but all the other components are the same, 811 horn with 806 driver. It is possible the woofer is the weak point and then it could also be possible to switch to 416s.
    They are a nice looking speaker.

Gary

Nightbrace
    I agree, I have heard the same thing from a few others that the bass response is not quite as good, was hoping someone in the Altec world has had a chance to listen to them... My Altec 19's are killer, just wanting an extra pair just in case /

Nightbrace,

I have been reading posts here on and off and, man, you are a JBL poser. What is this talk of you wanting to buy more Altecs? One pair is enough (or do you have even more?). But if you must, I'd go for something like Storm's 846B or GPA's new 604-8HII in a box like the one below:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/altec/dream.html

T.

Thread Information