Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2435?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    It's beryllium what makes them special.
    It's beryllium that makes them special.
    Bottom line of my experience is they do not "push" gracefully much beyond the pistonic mode.
    Meaningless statement. Use the driver as intended instead of how you think it should be used or how you wish it could be used.
    I run them at 1 kHz on 2352 horns. They certainly do well at the high end on those.
    The 2435? That's fine although I'm still clueless as to why you bother with all these Pro horns/waveguides.
    That's plenty high on the right horns or waveguides, tho....
    While we both see the inherent value in a great two-way, we clash dramatically in our views on how that can be achieved. Like I've said before Zilch, I'm just not interested in quick & dirty. It simply isn't the JBL way. I know, I know, plenty of people seem to love it anyway.

That was a nice thread you and Mr. Widget did. I missed it. Mr. Widget, Steve Schell and whgeiger had some great points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Yes but what about the ferrofluid?? Do both drivers use it???
    I'll ask on Monday. If you want, I can coat your 2435 diaphragms at the same time I coat your other diaphragms. Or you can just eBay them and I'll get you a pair of the 435Be's. It's up to you.

Obsolete
    I don't have any of the high-end consumer horns, though I'm trying to acquire one or more for comparison, as is at least one other member here.
    Mr. Widget has one of the H9800 horns. The other stuff is generally not available and probably shouldn't be mentioned at this time. I doubt there will be much interest anyway since those horns actually cost money and 435Be's to bolt onto them can't be found in dumpsters. Mr. Widget has already said it wouldn't be cost effective to make horn clones available on this forum. From what I've seen I have to agree. I had thought it would have been really cool to get a dozen or two run off for forum members interested in such things. Some of you could have ended up with some really cool systems.

Here, go play with this circuit for awhile.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    It's beryllium that makes them special.Meaningless statement. Use the driver as intended instead of how you think it should be used or how you wish it could be used.The 2435?
    Then, what does make it special (special not expensive)? if you don't need to lift it with your pinky or put three in a shoe box?

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    Then, what does make it special (special not expensive)? if you don't need to lift it with your pinky or put three in a shoe box?

For a diaphragm you want stiff and light to get the best response, especially at higher frequencies... Beryllium is stiffer and lighter than just about anything... it is #4 on the atomic chart. (hydrogen being #1) The reason that it isn't the only material used is that it is costly to produce, toxic to manufacture, and relatively rare...

Widget

Obsolete
    What Mr. Widget said coupled with it simply being a real nice smooth sound. That's what makes it special - no "hash, grit and false dynamics due to diaphragm breakup". He always cracks me up. Blunt likes blunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Here, go play with this circuit for awhile.
    I'm messing up somewhere, 'cause highpass doesn't roll off until 200 Hz:

[It's the 1.5 Ohm + 0.1 mH doing it, I think. No C in there? 1 mH, maybe?]

Obsolete
    I'm messing up somewhere, 'cause highpass doesn't roll off until 200 Hz:

[It's the 1.5 Ohm + 0.1 mH doing it, I think. No C in there? 1 mH, maybe?]
    Nope, you have it right. Just stick it on a 2435 and horn of your choice and measure it with 1 or 2 volts input.

Post the result, SPL and Impedance.

If you want, post the .mls and .sini files too along with actual voltage and mic distance.

Zilch, did you manage to test this filter?

Hello Guido

Looks good in Crossover Shop. If I had a spare horn laying around I would give it a whirl.

Rob

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Looks good in Crossover Shop.
    Sounds better in real life than it looks in LEAP according to the designer of the Everest II. And it looks pretty nice in LEAP.

Too bad JBL doesn't make these horns available but I guess I understand the desire to sell a $30,000 pair of loudspeakers instead of a $1,000 pair of horns. MSRP on the 435Be/horn combo is $2,690 a pair. Compare to the $2,798 MSRP on a pair of 2435's. Send me a PM if you want any.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Zilch, did you manage to test this filter?
    Maybe later today, on my "horn of choice."

Any news with the ferrofluid question?
    Thanks

First pass:

HF alone is windowed, Full range, not.

-6 dB @16.2 kHz, -10 dB @19.7 kHz.

8-Ohm L-Pad used to balance with LF in full range. Should be 6 Ohms, as I recall.

LF filter is N3134, 1 kHz.

I can dial it flat from 300 Hz up within +/- 2 dB. Just sounds a bit bright to me balanced like that, is all.

Impedance, bottom.

[How does it DO that? :dont-know]

Obsolete
    To be fair the circuit is designed specifically for the 435Be. The 2435 isn't aquaplased so it won't be quite as smooth. You would have to tweak it abit.

Since I last heard these the 045Be's have been turned off. The 435AL in the 880 Array center channel has been replaced with a 435Be. The 435Be's are running with the circuit posted above (charge coupled of course) actively crossed over at ~ 750 Hz and are 6 dB down at 20 kHz. This is the current pinnacle version of the 12-inch 2-way. The final step is to replace the 435Be's with 476Be's and six of them have just been taken off the shelf for that very purpose. Curves were ran to match pairs but that was proven unnecessary.

For my personal system I've decided to go with the 1500AL's instead of the 1200FE's.

So, active filter does the highpass; this is the compensation filter?

I.e., don't crank this without rolling off the low end at some desired frequency and slope (between 800 Hz and 1.2 kHz for 2435HPL, perhaps,) to blend with the LF?

Thread Information