Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie here

Newbie here

Bad ass forum cant wait to check it out.....other forums seem to have an abundance of jaded pricks against JBL....more of the redneck rocknroll led zepplin/anti computer and processor types from the 70's.

Welcome.

Why would they be against JBL?

In my opinion, JBL and Altec started it all. They were the first to really open up a market for all these other speaker companies.

They are not mad or against JBL, they are just jealous.

Welcome aboard - there is a wealthful of information about JBL here.

You will become quickly addicted, trust me. I refresh the new posts about every 15-20 minutes.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Vincenzo View Post
    Bad ass forum cant wait to check it out.....other forums seem to have an abundance of jaded pricks against JBL....more of the redneck rocknroll led zepplin/anti computer and processor types from the 70's.
    Welcome aboard... one question though. Are we the "redneck rock'n'roll, Led Zeppelin/anti-computer and processor types from the '70s or is that the description for those other fellas?

Widget

Pioneer727
    No comment except one if you lived in the 70's you would know more then you know now!
    Welcome to LH

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer727 View Post
    No comment except one if you lived in the 70's you would know more then you know now!
    Welcome to LH
    Sorry for this Off Topic observation, but I survived the '70s and can't help but feel that I have forgotten much more than I know now.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Welcome aboard... one question though. Are we the "redneck rock'n'roll, Led Zeppelin/anti-computer and processor types from the '70s or is that the description for those other fellas?

Widget
    lol, the others...i find that most of the old timers that are against JBL just biuld thier own cabs and slap sum emmience's in them and just wing it......for the DB.......not the clarity.

for me it is JBL SRX700's, Crown and Rane all the way,
    Last edited by DJ Vincenzo; 11-29-2006 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spl

Smile Welcome DJ

I post on a few other forums, and I spend most of my time correcting misinformation about JBL and responding to JBL bashing. It's not just the OFs (Old Farts) but also the NACs (Not-a-clues) asserting the superiority of their Ascend, Athena, Bose, Paradigm, etc., speakers. It's not that those brands are necessarily bad, but ignorantly claiming that those brands brand leave JBLs in the dust cannot go unchallenged (or unpunished).

Of course, here we have proponents of the old over the new, horns over direct radiators, etc., but overall there's a reasonable civility.
    Out.

Welcome aboard, youll like it here. Your in the right place.

scottyj

give me digital or die

yup
    welcom

Im on the digital side of this camp
    it`s pretty lonely over here. but i belive tech is here too help me

If i never see another cap in a box i`ll be happy
    programmable slopes the way of the future!
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

Yes many welcomes, you will find a level of expertise here that is amazing. Regarding speaker manufactuers, JBL and Altec differed from other companies in that their products were not simply speaker systems, but the component drivers themselves. Plus you knew what you were buying, and could even choose what went into your speakers in the early days. A two-inch stamped frame Bose driver with exposed ceramic magnets weighing ounces wouldn't look to good on a catalog page, and their technology (?) is showing.

The differences between forums out there is astounding, from the ones with posts from poor souls unable to get their surround sound systems working because the Toslink cable won't fit in the RCA jack, to the high-end ones where the cables have stands and cost as much as cars. Some forums are just chat rooms for kids, others places of true debate and great exchanges of technical information where true learning happens. The later happens here, as you can see if you simply look.

I also want to welcome you to the forum and I think you will find it to be the most free of audio on the web! The administrators, moderators, "heavy lifters," and not so heavy lifters are here to help, guide and even poke a little fun at our hobby. We are passionate about our music and our and how it's presented. I have made true friends on this forum which is more than I can for others I have participated in. As said before, you are in the right place!

Welcome from me too

Hope you'll enjoy your stay.

I'm a new member, myself, and from these posts it seems there is a wide range in ages. (I remember building monoaural tube amps to drive a single speaker - call me old school.)

That said: I have acquired a "James B. Lansing" solid state, integrated amplifier (obviously designed for home use) circa late '60s to very early '70s. The model number is obscured and the output transistors are missing. I cleaned it up and applied power to 'scoped the pre-amps - very clean signal out.

Anyway, I have not been able to locate anything like it. Has anyone seen such a device from JBL. The only JBL electronic equipment, from this time period, that I am familiar with is all professional. Does anyone have any idea what model this may be? I'd would like to get it working just to get an idea of what it sounds like. Thanks.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mike53 View Post
    I have acquired a "James B. Lansing" solid state, integrated amplifier (obviously designed for home use) circa late '60s to very early '70s.
    'Sounds like a SA600 or SA660. Check this: http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-SA600-and-SA...QQcmdZViewItem

John

Here are some very nice photos of a SA600... the auction looks suspect though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/mint-ecxellent-J...em330055594040

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information