Thread: Starting a home system

masters2010

Starting a home system

I'd like to start into vinyl, and make a decent system for school. I have none of the components, and I'm looking for an entry level system that costs less than 1000 total.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by masters2010 View Post
    I'd like to start into vinyl, and make a decent system for school. I have none of the components, and I'm looking for an entry level system that costs less than 1000 total.

Thanks
    I have a pair of L100T's that have just been goen through. I refoamed the woofers, recaped the crossovers with Daytons and Audiocaps, replaced the grill cloth, and oiled them. They are in beautiful shape with the original JBL/monster wire and boxes.

I was going to put them on ebay for Christmas with a BIN of $600 but I will sell here for less.

I'll take a stab at this (assuming used gear):

Start with some decent small JBL 2-ways or older 3-ways, spending no more than $300 on speakers. I'd look for any variant of L20T/4406/4408/L40/L60/etc.

Spend another $300 on a decent amp/preamp combo - I like the older Yamaha C-series preamps and M-series amps for the money. Some of the Carver gear is very good for the money too (the C-1 preamp and smaller TFM amps are nice like the 6 or 15).

Spend another $300 on a nice tunrtable and cartridge combo. Lots of choices out there and you'll have to do some homework and research. Some I can recommend would be the Yamaha PX3 or PF800, the Kenwood "rock" with the marble base, Dual 505 (belt drive - avoid the direct drives as they are noisy), AR XD, some of the nicer Denons.

Leave $100 for some decent (not over the top) cables to hook it all up and you should be very happy with the results.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by masters2010 View Post

Thanks

Thread Information