Thread: Anyone tried PS Audio Soloist?

MJC

Anyone tried PS Audio Soloist?

I came across this product the other day, a power conditioning and AC protection, High Current Ultimate Outlet, that fits in the wall box. Has anyone on the forum tried one, or any other of PS Audio products?

http://www.psaudio.com/products/soloist_overview.asp

So, what’s inside the Soloist?
    First, check out the beautiful quarter inch thick solid machined aluminum plate the Soloist enjoys.
    First of all I would like to know for which max. current it is provided and wheather it reaches audio-frequencies.

Filters are often built in in PCs, fotocopier etc. for example (compare attached image). The dimension of the filter reiies on input resistant (max. current). and range of frequency.
    Once I had a beautiful surplus filter, I thought it would be good for an amplifier project. But it passed all frequencies below 1kHz, with other words for an important part of the audio band there would have been no filtering.

I would ask the seller for technical details.

200 USD ???

Cheap snakeoil but snakeoil

MJC
    I already know somethings don't work as advertized. About a year or two ago, I tried a middle priced Monster power box. I went into buying it with the thought I wouldn't see or hear much difference, and I didn't(none at all actually). Took it back to Best Buy during the 30 day return time.
    But I just wanted to check it out, to see if "clean power" did make an improvement. In that case it did nothing.

I've used several power conditioning products over the years including a Tice B-III, a PS PowerPlant, and PS Ultimate Outlets. I'm not saying that others wouldn't be able to hear a difference with or without these, but my feeble 50 year old ears couldn't. I sold them all except for the Ultimate Outlets though because they do provide spike protection, which for me is a requirement, and I figured they were at least as good as Monster Cable in that department. My suggestion would be to buy a used Ultimate Outlet on eBay or Audiogon to see if you like it. If you like it keep it. If not sell it.

MJC
    Ya, there is spike protection, but I can and do get it from a regular power strip, that one uses for computers.
    But I've as yet to see "clean power" conditioners make an improvement in audio or video output. But just maybe some units really do work. But what kind or brand is anyones guess.

Thread Information