Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer or No Subwoofer?...That is the Question.

Question Subwoofer or No Subwoofer?...That is the Question.

Hey there fellow audio nuts.

I have been thinking about adding a subwoofer into my current setup, but have concerns as to if I should.

Are subwoofers truly for audiophiles? Do they pump real bass or do they add to the existing bass?

My current setup is below. Please let me know if I should scrap the idea or add a subwoofer to this system. The subwoofer I am thinking about adding is the version one PARADIGM SERVO 15 subwoofer.

Thank you in advance.

I hope to learn alot from this thread.

-Storm

Done right, a sub (or several) can make for a more engaging listening
    experience. Can also be a pain to "do right". Ten people will tell you ten versions
    of what "done right" is.

-grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Hey there fellow audio nuts.

I have been thinking about adding a subwoofer into my current setup, but have concerns as to if I should.

-Storm
    What specifically is wrong with your setup that you don't like? How demanding of your hifi are you? To sub-woofer or not is a set of compromises that without set goals may or may not work for you.

Are subwoofers truly for audiophiles? Do they pump real bass or do they add to the existing bass?
    Hello Storm

I run E-145's as my midbass driver so I have to have subs for the last octave. I get decent bass to 40 hz out of them from the room gain but below 40 forget about it. To answer your guestion it depends on what your gear is actually doing in your room. Do audiophiles want clean response to into the low 20's Hz range?? The answer is yes some want all the way to 16Hz and some even lower. The question is what do you want?? What kind of music do you listen too?? Is there content there and what are you getting in your room now?? As I see it there is a lot going on in the 20-40Hz range and have been surprised many times by content in that octave. So I want reasonable response there. You have to decide what reasonable response means to you. Like Grumpy says there will be 10 people telling you how to "do it right".

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    These are the type of speakers that do it all and don't need a subwoofer. Case in point - I just picked up a PARADIGM REFERENCE SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER and hooked it up to the setup with these same exact speakers. The subwoofer puts out too much bass. I love the natural bass that these speakers bring forth - not the over use of bass that a subwoofer brings.

This subwoofer is Paradigms leading subwoofer and retailed for $1500.00. Thank goodness I did not purchase it new - this baby is going on eBay in a couple days.
    :dont-know

For me a system that give notes to between 20-30 Hz is more than enough. My 4343's do that. I believe down 3db at 30Hz.

When I (a few times in a year) play church organ, I miss the deepest notes.

My brother has a subwoofer, a large Revel (15") with 1000W amp. When I listen to his system (witch is excellent) it does not sound natural when the sub is on. To much, and I never hear this kind of bass on a concert, and the concert is my reference. His reference is different, as I am sure many other have different references, and I respect that. We all want THAT kind of sound, and that is good. If not we would all have the same equipment. (Boring)

In a setup for movies ... well that is another thing, but I am not so into that. I do not even use a center, but the "phantom mode". That leaves only 4 speakers left when I watch a move. Plenty for me. (Us).

Hope this little story helps.

Subs are good IF they can dynamically track your mains and IF they are dialed in right. You shouldn't be aware a sub is in the system until it needs to "speak".

On Mythbusters they built a 51inch sub. Put out 162db at 16 hz for about 8 seconds before it self destructed. Powered by a Mercedes diesel.

Maybe not a goal to shoot for ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    On Mythbusters they built a 51inch sub. Put out 162db at 16 hz for about 8 seconds before it self destructed. Powered by a Mercedes diesel.

Mission Impossible this sub will self destruct in 8 seconds!

Get yourself a few JBL 4645C 18” subs that will make the Saturn V sound real enough in Apollo13!

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

What the he¤# are you talking about? MYTHBUSTERS at the Discovery Channel? What does that has do do ... in any meaning .. ???

I Agree with grumpy. If a sub is good enough and is correctly adjusted (almost never happens) It can be a possitve experience. However if your not sure the sub can keep up, leave it.

Tim

Smile Subs, yes!

But the caveat is that you have to know what you want and when you want it.

I tend to prefer 12" and 14" subs, dialed in for specific duty. I do have a B380 with a 2235H in it, but it's not amazing, and it can sound flabby. The LE14H-x family makes a fine, articulate sub and a great low frequency transducer, just don't ask it to do both at the same time. The HTPS400 convinced me that a rigid 12" in a sealed cabinet can be an amazing sub when set up right.

For movies, some guys like dual 15s or 18s, and in the context of movie special effects they can be pretty cool, but their musicality is suspect as far as I'm concerned. For music I like it nice and tight, not loose and sloppy.
    Out.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I Agree with grumpy. If a sub is good enough and is correctly adjusted (almost never happens) It can be a possitve experience. However if your not sure the sub can keep up, leave it.

Tim
    Agreed that’s why I’ve been using JBL 4645 sub bass professional for the past 8 years, not a single day’s problem with it, and I’ve had SPL db levels up to 120dbc on damn! Now that’s cinema quality!

"For music I like it nice and tight, not loose and sloppy."

Do you imply that 15s and 18s must be loose and sloppy?

JBL 4645
    In all the years that I’ve been listening and feeling the tightness of depth abyssal low end from the JBL 4645 18” no why is she loose in any way, which is one reason I opted for an 18” in the home cinema, 12” not to bad it’s good for some parts of the audio spectrum very good. But for kick slam and depth I need an 18” JBL 4645 to give a little credit for the control 5.

So in no way are they loose and sloppy, unless you have been drinking the previous night before!

Thread Information