Thread: very good Work Zilch!!!!!

MatthiasA

very good Work Zilch!!!!!

Hello!

yesterday the adapter clones arrived
    iam VERY impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    great work !!!!
    more than great work zilch!

now i will test the System :-)
    in about 2 weeks i will post pictures of the
    finished 2 JBL S2600 Walnut / Maple wood!

Thanks a LOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    to all Members to made this possible!

Grettings Matthias
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by MatthiasA; 11-24-2006 at 04:28 AM. Reason: anything forgotten

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasA View Post
    ...more than great work zilch!
    Actually, I think Mr. Widget arranged for the manufacture of those adapters - 'Ziclh was the delivery facilitator?

John

I just handled the MONEY, mostly.

I'm pleased they arrived safely, and will soon be in good use.

They look illuminated from within mounted on those horns....

Help: horns and adaptors

Hi everyone
    First a big applause for Matthias for his DIY project. WAUW

I would also like to build my own S2600/S3100 clone, but I don't quite understand the adaptor thing.
    Please explain to me this:
    When buying a horn, why doesn't the adaptor come with it?
    How do you know which adaptor to use?
    All the shops I look in have horns and drivers, but I never see adaptors?
    Does the adaptor fit one driver and one horn only, or multiple horns and drivers?

Where can I buy a S3100 / everest type horn (they seem to be the only tilted ones?)?

why do S2600, S3100, 4430 and so on use 1" drivers. Has there ever been a highend speaker or extremely popular monitor (like 4430/4435) using a 2" driver?

Thanks a million.
    Yours
    Verner

Think of the horn assembly as being two pieces, the flare and the throat. The geometries are different and lend poorly to one-piece manufacture.

The throats have different part numbers from the horns, and were sold separately. Like you, I assumed they would be sold as an assembly for the nearly $200 list price each. Enough whingeing about it did get me both parts from JBL for that, but only on one occasion.

The concept of asymmetrically controlled directivity never caught on. Although it works as designed and I'm hooked by its extraordinarily broad sweet area, consumers didn't "get" it.

It creates a very credible phantom center, but for home theater, center channels sell more speakers and everybody is happy. Apppreciate that most buyers don't know stereo presentation from a hole in the ground, and they drive what is manufactured and offered for sale.

A 2" driver would raise the price point even higher without apprecialble performance benefit.

The horns are apparently still available in Europe. Buy some and design your own throats for 2" drivers, if you like. Don't count on selling bunches of them, tho....

adaptors

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Think of the horn assembly as being two pieces, the flare and the throat. The geometries are different and lend poorly to one-piece manufacture.

The throats have different part numbers from the horns, and were sold separately. Like you, I assumed they would be sold as an assembly for the nearly $200 list price each. Enough whingeing about it did get me both parts from JBL for that, but only on one occasion.

The concept of asymmetrically controlled directivity never caught on. Although it works as designed and I'm hooked by its extraordinarily broad sweet area, consumers didn't "get" it.

It creates a very credible phantom center, but for home theater, center channels sell more speakers and everybody is happy. Apppreciate that most buyers don't know stereo presentation from a hole in the ground, and they drive what is manufactured and offered for sale.

A 2" driver would raise the price point even higher without apprecialble performance benefit.

The horns are apparently still available in Europe. Buy some and design your own throats for 2" drivers, if you like. Don't count on selling bunches of them, tho....
    Thank you
    Would Mr. Widget perhaps make another pair of adaptors and what would the price be?
    Yours
    Vern

S3100 in L-300 cabinet???

[quote=Zilch;136606]Think of the horn assembly as being two pieces, the flare and the throat. The geometries are different and lend poorly to one-piece manufacture.

The horns are apparently still available in Europe. quote]

I managed to order horns (they have them in stock at euro200 each), the adaptors are as you said not available, but I put an order on them anyway (price in DK is only euro 80 for 2 of them). Mr. Widget has almost agreed to make another pair of adaptors/throats for me. I am very thankful for that.

I would like to build a set of S3100, but in a lower and deeper cabinet, a bit like the L-300. Would the slightly tilted front of the L-300 work with the dispersion from the asymmetrical horn from the S3100?
    Vern

Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post
    I would like to build a set of S3100, but in a lower and deeper cabinet, a bit like the L-300. Would the slightly tilted front of the L-300 work with the dispersion from the asymmetrical horn from the S3100?
    Yes, so long as the combination of lowered elevation and tilt angle combines to place listening height on vertical axis at the desired listening distance.

Toe-in, if required, complicates the geometry further. The asymmetry operates by narrowing the vertical dispersion toward the center (and beyond) between the two speakers.

I wouldn't do it, as it makes the positioning unnecessarily critical. Any movement forward or back would alter the listener vertical position with respect to that axis. Keep the alignment conventional, as designed. Read the manuals describing the original Everest and 4660 controlled directivity system to further appreciate the complex consequences of what you propose.

Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post
    Thank you
    Would Mr. Widget perhaps make another pair of adaptors and what would the price be?
    Yes, more can be made... the cost depends on how many are ordered... someone else had asked about them, but I lost track... if there is anyone interested in these adapters please send me a PM and I'll try to get a cost figured out.

Widget

Adapters'll probably work as diffraction slit tweeters, too, folks.

[Don't quote me on that, tho.... ]

Edit: JBL 2396, below.

See also:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...4&postcount=41
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Adapters'll probably work as diffraction slit tweeters, too, folks.
    Check out these tiny diffraction slot tweeters.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...184#post137184

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Yes, more can be made... the cost depends on how many are ordered... someone else had asked about them, but I lost track... if there is anyone interested in these adapters please send me a PM and I'll try to get a cost figured out.

Widget
    could we perhaps make a new thread called horn adaptors for S2600/S3100, so as many as possible see Widgets offer? Since the horns are still available here in Denmark at $300 a pair, maybe more people are interested.
    Vern

For your viewing pleasure, follow this link:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...543#post138543

Thread Information