Thread: Looking for High Efficiency Design

Looking for High Efficiency Design

Hello out there. I have a low wattage Single Ended tube amplifier and am looking to build a DIY speaker capable of high efficiency (96-98 db if possible). I can build cabinets and wire crossovers but cannot design either. I am leaning towards a two way design with a high compression tweeter and 15" woofer. Can anyone point me to a design that would work? I have tried single drivers but am not happy with the results (too harsh with some types of music).

I was looking to spend under $500.00 on drivers and crossovers if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    check out the library, there are plans for some two ways in there

Altec had some noted 2 way hi-efficiency designs....

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...ltec-plans.htm

you should be able to get drivers/horns/xovers in your price range if you are patient

Hello Doug

You have some decissions to make. Any of the woofers in that efficiency range will be rolled off below 40Hz. Are you using a sub?? If so it doesn't matter all too much and your range of drivers opens up a bit.

What about the horn??? You need to have some idea of what you like. Do you want a Constant Directivity horn or an exponential as examples. They are different animals and will sound different in your room as well as require different crossovers to work at their optimum performance levels. There are lot's of horns out there and just like any other speaker component some are great some are awful. Before you decide go have a listen.

You need to know what your throat size is on the compression driver. With a 1" driver you can use just about any horn as you can get 1-2" adaptors. With a 2" driver you are limited to those horns.

Have you considered kits??? Same advice as with horns I would try hard to audition them before you buy. The horn would be part of the kit. As far as speakers in your price range Try Pi Speakers

http://www.pispeakers.com/Prices.htm

Good Luck

Rob

Lots to Learn

Thanks for the advice. I have a lot to learn. Each piece adds to the puzzle.

I have built several sets of single driver speakers and and a very nice array designed by Jim Griffin but all were based on plans from others.

It is difficult to audition this type of speaker because no one I know has them. I may call around town and see if anyone carries Altecs(If they still make them). I wish I could have auditioned my Fostex F200A single drivers before I bought them and I wouldn't have.

Kind Regards,

Doug

Hi,

Base on your budget ($500, very same with me), I'm thinking about LE8T with BLH enclosure and L20 tweeter. One more reason is your low watt SE tube amp (very same with me one more time, cuz I'm planning build one more system in my bed room to listent to music before sleep), so bass roll off is not our goal, the most important is mid range and high mid range (human voice and some strings musical instrument). And over all, it should be JBL, not another kind of fullrange.

And one more time, we are very the same, is I have not any plan of enclosure now. I'm thinking about some other plan of Fostex FE206 or FE208 but I don't have software to simulate with LE8T driver.

I remember that I saw some one has LE8T BLH on the internet but I could not find again. Please, let me know if you find him out.

Thanks.

Another Option to look at!

Thanks for the advice. I will take a good look at the JBl's. Have you decided on a crossover and cabinet? If you do, please let me know what you com up with. My email address is [email protected].

Thanks

Doug

Hi dubwicht,

In fact, I dont familize with design x-over (reason: without simualation software). But I saw some JBL configuration e.x.: Lancer 77 (LE10, PR10, LE20, LX4-x-over). I think we can use LX4-1 in our plan. The best way is asking JBL lovers rite here for more detail information.
    The most important is plan of cabs.

Sorry JBL Dudes,

But you would be silly not to consider the HammerDynammics system. zits One of the best value hi sensitivity Hifi speakers on the plant.

The Altec 6048-G also has a following.

Ian

Dear Mr. Mac,

The budget only $500, so Altec 604 can not match.

Do you have any other offer? I'm sure that my JBL experience is much less than you. Looking forward your ideal.

Thanks,

Doug---Parts Express has stuff that would allow you to do a 15" and horn 2-way in your budget. They have a variety of woofers, drivers and horns from Eminence, B&C, Selenium and Radian and many are priced in your range. And these are good reputable brands, not junk. I've heard Eminence, B&C and Radian sounding VERY good.

I can only speak in general terms and have no exact ideas for you, I'm just pointing you in a good direction for the gear.

www.partsexpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by artsound View Post
    Dear Mr. Mac,

The budget only $500, so Altec 604 can not match.

Do you have any other offer? I'm sure that my JBL experience is much less than you. Looking forward your ideal.

Thanks,
    I dont think $500 will do justice to your cause, $650 might.(hammerdynamics)

Ian

Forgot about the Hammer!

I remember reading about Hammer Dynamics a while back and have now reaquainted myself with them. They are suppose to be quite good for the money. I am also considering making a two way Altec style speaker using the 416-8A and either the 806-8A or 802-8D. Far too many options out there.

Cheers and thanks for the help.

Doug

Hello,

If you don't like your F200A don't go for the LE8T it's kinda the same speaker.

Why don't you like yours F200A ?

for a high efficiency 2 way design, go for some beyma-RCF-B&C components do a little search on the web, there are plenty of good 2 way speakers.

JBL is also excellent, let's say better, but for your budget you will have to look for used components.

PS : Smith horns are a very good way to begin with horns, and they sound excellent !

Thread Information