Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference between the D series & K series JBL speakers?

tWreCK

Difference between the D series & K series JBL speakers?

I'm looking at a pair of JBL K120 speakers I want to use in a guitar cab but from what I've heard these are entirely different speakers than the D120F's. What are the differences construction wise as well as tone wise? Which ones are the better choice?
    Last edited by tWreCK; 12-12-2003 at 08:45 AM.

Man, I can't find nothin' on those D120F's - no Thiele-Small parameters, no nuthin'.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

The "F" is for Fender and they went in guitar cabinets.I would go with the - F- units as long as they are original and have not been reconed.Oldmics

I believe the K series introduced Kapton coil formers and epoxy adhesives to allow higher power handling. JBL never published T/S parameters for the "F" series to my knowledge. They were long out of production by the time that JBL adopted T/S design.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Originally posted by Don McRitchie
    I believe the K series introduced Kapton coil formers and epoxy adhesives to allow higher power handling.
    I wasn't exactly sure, but thought that.

We've had great luck in using both the E- and K-series swapped-into more recent vintage Fender tube cabinets (tho the 110's) for our guitar player. Both these followed the D-series, so if it were me, tWreCK, I'd be relaxed about going ahead with the K120's. I think it'll please you...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Well FWIW

I "believe" that everything that JBL learned from the R&D exercise of making a higher powered guitar speaker ( the D120F ) was incorporated into the design of the K series. This would also include a wider gap ( when compared to the original D130 spec. ). Giskard posted a link somewhere to the Dick Dale story about his speaker (D130F). Here's a link to the difference between the orginal "D" series and that with the "F" suffix. D130F History

<> Earl K

Tom Loizeaux
    I've compared D120s and K120s and found that the D120s were more efficient. Both had similar frequency responses, but I feel the K120 has a slighty heavier cone and, therefore, isn't quite as bright. The E120, which uses the ceramic magnet, seems to have an even heavier cone and stiffer surround and sound a little veiled to my ears, though it can take gobs of power!
    I know a lot more about the 15" musical intrument speakers than the 12s.
    The D130 and D140 (F) drivers had treated cloth surrounds. This gave them a nice long throw and made them efficient. When JBL followed them with the K series they changed the surrounds to rolled paper. This controlled the cones a little better and made them able to handle more power. My bass amp can easily slam and bottom out a D140F with big transiants, while the K140 seems to handle these big "spikes" with ease. Both seem to have similar low end. The E140s, like the E120s, have the ceramic magnet and stiffer surrounds, allowing for higher power handling at the cost of deep low end. I really like the K140s, especially when used in multiples, for a good bass amp sound.
    I think the K120s are good, very strong speakers for guitar but I think the D120s are a little quicker and brighter. Many guitar players, however, don't like the "Hi-Fi" sound of JBLs but prefer lighter weight, cheaper drivers like Jensen, Weber, and even Eminence instrument speakers. These speakers add "color" to the guitar's sound which many feel is important.

I use K120s (with 2402s) in my stage floor monitors because they can kick nicely with a respectible full range sound.

Hope this helps

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Loizeaux; 12-12-2003 at 10:20 PM.

tWreCK
    Thx guys - great information

Tomas M

D149r

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Hi!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tomas M

With text this time (I hope).

Hmmmm...something got wrong.

I have an old D140R. what does the "R" stand for?

Does anyone know?

Regards!

Tomas

D140r

Hi Tomas

- I don't know what the "R" is supposed to indicate but here's a bit of trivia ;

- Gap Width is .057" , just like the D130 , K130, K140, and the "E" series - as well as a whole slew of popular woofers like the 2225h(j) and the 2235h(j).

- The DCR ( DC resistance ) of a healthy voice-coil is given as 5.1 to 5.9 ohms. This specific DCR "range" is a shared trait with the D140F, the 2216 ( le15b ), 2205a, and the 2202a . These all have 4" wide voice-coils.

- The stock dustcap for this model is a "Thick Paper" type.

- FWIW, my Service Manual info says the D140R is most similar to the 2205A .

( with those references ; the "F" and "R" could just as easily mean : "Full-Range" & "Restricted-Range" - as determined by the type of "dust-cap" )

- Here are a few eBay pics for reference ;

regards < Earl K

Interesting stuff! FWIW, my '68 Fender Showman has two D140's in it and they have aluminum dust caps.
    David

Tom Loizeaux
    All the D, K and E series drivers I have ever seen came with aluminum dust covers. (except the 145s I believe)

Tom

Some time back I saw some D140Rs on ebay and the seller claimed that the "R" version was designed for extended bass in organ use... it makes sense but as we all know eBay isn't the best source for accurate data.

Widget

jbl / fender

Thread Information