Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New crossover design for L-100A

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Zilch is notable for his tenacity and resourcefulness, but he is not a solitary creature at Lansing Heritage.
    Heh.

We have many, MANY loonies on LHF.

[And plenty room for more.... ]

Tom Loizeaux

Low Impact mod ?

Does anyone think it might be good to take some of this "new crossover..." idea and use it in a modified, low-impact way on 4312As?
    By "modified" I mean:
    1) Reducing the port area by adding straws(as was discussed a while back) instead of sealing the ports, and
    2) adding a coil & cap on the 12" woofer to get a 12dB/octave rolloff.

Would these "low impact" mods improve the 4312 without having to change the woofer or re-do the whole network?

Just wondering.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux View Post
    1) Reducing the port area by adding straws(as was discussed a while back) instead of sealing the ports, and
    2) adding a coil & cap on the 12" woofer to get a 12dB/octave rolloff.

Would these "low impact" mods improve the 4312 without having to change the woofer or re-do the whole network?

Just wondering.

Tom
    1. No. Straw ports are too restrictive. You'd be better off with a vario-vent.

2. Yes but it would impact the midrange driver, necessitating a redesign there too. You would have voltage and current phase problems that would show up either as peaks or valleys. best to do it right. It would be wise to start with another network that has 12 db slopes on the two drivers as a starting point and work from there.

If I was to do anything simple it would be a 2.5 Mh choke on the woofer with a Zobel to tame the impedance rise and allow the coil to work better. A 6 db slop is phase friendly enough and would offer modest improvements at minimal fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - I don't understand the claim of LR (24 db per octave) slopes (or performance ).
    - The posted crossover schematic clearly shows a 2-pole lowpass crossing into a 3 pole ( per section ) bandpass , followed by a 3-pole hipass into the tweeter . Electrically; thats' a lowpass at 12 db, crossing into an 18 db bandpass , crossing into a 18 db per octave hipass . Perhaps you could ask Dennis how he achieves LR performance from this .
    - Zilches' voltage run also seems to confirm these electrical slopes .
    - The "sims" in post 4 also confirm the electrical slopes I just mentioned .

- Apart from my nitpicking, it's a nice effort at improving this icon .
    It's a good question - not nitpicking. From my point of view, there's a difference between the electrical performance of a filter and the acoustic performance of a driver combined with the filter. In this case, the filters, which are clearly not 4th order electrical, when combined with the drivers result in acoustic roll-off slopes that more closely resemble LR 4th order than anything else. You can see this in the second graph in part 4 of my long write up, where the polarity of the midrange is reversed. I should have been more clear about that when I first wrote this.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerd View Post
    In this case, the filters, which are clearly not 4th order electrical, when combined with the drivers result in acoustic roll-off slopes that more closely resemble LR 4th order than anything else.
    Yes. For instance, some systems end up having 2-pole electrical filters summed with sealed enclosures (which are 2-pole mechanical filters) to achieve a 4th order acoustic roll-off. Note that compression drivers are "sealed enclosures".
    The glaring 6-7 kHz peak is essentially eliminated, and the high frequency comb filter cancellations are also gone! According to Dennis,

“It took more than adding a low pass filter for the midrange driver above 5 kHz because the big peak was not caused by driver break-up. It’s actually an additive diffraction artifact caused by the wide baffle and the goofy layout of the drivers. Getting rid of it wasn’t easy, and certainly wouldn’t have been possible using the design technology of the '70s.”
    Very nice! Driver layout can't be stressed enough. Of course in this particular instance the whole design was "by design" and people really liked them (or disliked them). I liked them during their era. They were fun. It's pretty fun to mess around with new filters since they have such a profound effect on the various systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Driver layout can't be stressed enough.
    Agreed

This whole excercise has been a vivid lesson for me why almost all speakers today keep the drivers arranged in a vertical line. This photo http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/l100.htm ) shows different layouts of various JBL studio monitors made in the '70s. The redesigned crossover I’ve described above is designed specifically for the L-100A (2nd from left). It fixes the additive and subtractive peaks caused by its particular "goofy" driver layout. For other layouts, the crossover may work OK, but because I haven't had a chance to test it with those layouts, all bets are off.

Obsolete
    For other layouts, the crossover may work OK, but because I haven't had a chance to test it with those layouts, all bets are off.
    Very true.

There have been more than a few who have taken various driver complements and changed baffle dimensions and driver layouts who then wondered why the results didn't sound nearly as good as expected due to them not reworking the filters as well.

There are really good points that have been stressed again in this thread and I won't belabor them.

Thanks for starting the thread. It is a great example of the kinds of threads I'd hoped to eventually see occur here. Excellent presentation and no real flak from the peanut gallery. I like it.

Very true.

There have been more than a few who have taken various driver complements and changed baffle dimensions and driver layouts who then wondered why the results didn't sound nearly as good as expected due to them not reworking the filters as well.
    No doubt! Even small differences in baffles can make a difference! My modified L100s in the larger cabinets (using a straight-line config on the mid and tweeter, with the drivers offset less extremely compared to a stock L100) had MUCH BETTER behaviour in the 3-5KHz region than a stock L100, even using a stock L100 crossover! All because of the driver LOCATION in the baffle, as the width was the SAME as the original L100!

Thanks for starting the thread. It is a great example of the kinds of threads I'd hoped to eventually see occur here. Excellent presentation and no real flak from the peanut gallery. I like it.
    As they say on "the street": Game recognizes game!

Regards,
    Gordon.

Agreed

This whole excercise has been a vivid lesson for me why almost all speakers today keep the drivers arranged in a vertical line. This photo http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/l100.htm ) shows different layouts of various JBL studio monitors made in the '70s. The redesigned crossover I’ve described above is designed specifically for the L-100A (2nd from left). It fixes the additive and subtractive peaks caused by its particular "goofy" driver layout. For other layouts, the crossover may work OK, but because I haven't had a chance to test it with those layouts, all bets are off.
    I have the L100A's and was planning on a crossover rebuild. You say that there is a 5 db drop in efficiency? That's quite a bit, where do you end up, about 86 db at 1 watt/ 1 meter?

Tom Loizeaux
    Agreed

[FONT=Tahoma] ...particular "goofy" driver layout...
    I believe these "goofy" driver layouts were an attempt to get all the drivers as close to each other as possible. Remember, these monitors were designed to work in both a vertical and horizontal orientation. A line of drivers would work in only one orientation.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by L100t Owner View Post
    I have the L100A's and was planning on a crossover rebuild. You say that there is a 5 db drop in efficiency? That's quite a bit, where do you end up, about 86 db at 1 watt/ 1 meter?
    I estimated a 5 dB drop from eyeballing the old and new frequency response curves. Both of them are posted in my earlier posts. Look at them and decide for yourself. A problem with such a comparison is that the old frequency response curve was far from smooth and how do you decide which SPL level represents the nominal sensitivity. Is it the peaks or the low points which are about 5 dB lower? The new crossover is much flatter and seems to hover around 80 dB (as measured), with a few higher frequency dips below that.

Please remember that no effort was made to measure the correct overall SPL levels. You would need a known calibration standard to do that accurately. They do, however, show the relative differences in SPL between the old and new crossovers.

I drive these speakers with a moderately powered Denon AVR-1800 home theater receiver. It is rated at 75 wpc RMS when two channels are used. It works fine with the new crossovers. I do increase the volume somewhat over levels that I used to use, but it is not a problem in my family room (about 16 × 22'). Although a larger amp might be great with these speakers, they do not require one.

I was concerned with the possibility of loosing sensitivity when I did this redesign. In my hands, this has not been a problem, and I don't want this to discourage any one from trying this design. I hope this helps.

It may be less than a 5 dB loss...

Look at the frequency response curve of the original crossover (post #2). There are two triangular markers labled 1 and 2, located at 500 Hz and 1,000 Hz respectively. Below the graph itself are two boxes that show the relative SPL of each of those markers. At 500 Hz it is 81.4 dB and at 1,000 Hz it is 81.7 dB.

Scroll down to post #7 and see those two markers at the same frequencies for the new crossover. 500 Hz is now 79.7 dB and 1,000 Hz is 78.7 dB. Subtracting, you get a loss of 1.7 dB at 500 Hz and 3.0 dB at 1,000 Hz.

500 Hz is an octave below the crossover point, where the new crossover rolls-off little of the woofer's response, and 1,000 Hz is where both the woofer and midrange contribute nearly equally, in the middle of the woofer-midrange crossover point. At those two points, the new crossover lowers sensitivity by 3 dB or less. That is better than my previous estimate of a 5 dB loss.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonW View Post
    No doubt! Even small differences in baffles can make a difference! My modified L100s in the larger cabinets (using a straight-line config on the mid and tweeter, with the drivers offset less extremely compared to a stock L100) had MUCH BETTER behaviour in the 3-5KHz region than a stock L100, even using a stock L100 crossover! All because of the driver LOCATION in the baffle, as the width was the SAME as the original L100!
    Originally Posted by Giskard

As they say on "the street": Game recognizes game!

Regards,
    Gordon.
    I duplicated exactly the L20 driver offsets and distances for my tower redesign because the acoustic centers are critical for comparing one box design to another. This left the box as the only variable.

I also agree that we should continue to recognize efforts for what they are and learn from them without bigger pictures of " why do that" or " that's not the way it was done". I plan to show how to cheaply and easily tune the L100T crossover to L100T3 specs without buying a fortune in parts. The exercise should show a way to get there without much trouble

Article courtesy DavidF.

[Zilchscan Enterprises, Inc.]
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information