Thread: L 166 grills repair (glue and shape)

L 166 grills repair (glue and shape)

Hi,

Hope some of you skilled guys have an advice or two for repairing my L166 grills.

1: The front part of the grill (w. the up-and-down pattern) has come partly loose from the grill frame – causing the grills to rattle.
    What is the best way to glue the back (tight) to the front? I don’t want the glue to be visible through the holes in the front part.

2: The cloth on the back side of the grills seems to be glued to the grill (very light) at those points of the grill, which goes inwards (towards the speaker). At some of the points, the glue seems to be gone.
    Any ideas how to glue that back on? Again it should not be visible – or audible…

3: A few places the front grill has come out of shape (pressed in).
    Can I heat them with a hair drier and push them back (almost) in the original shape?

Any ideas appreciated – thanks!
    - Claus
    L16 Decade/L26 Decade/L36 Decade/L65 Jubal/L86/L96 Delta/L100 Century/L110/L150a/L166 Horizon - wanting L300 Summits...

Could you post a few pictures?

Indy

2 out of 3

Solved question 1 by removing the front part of the grill from the frame, cleaned both parts and glued it back on using ”contact glue” (the type you put on both surfaces, let dry for a short while and the press together). Works fine – just be careful not to put on to much glue (so that the glue runs out through the holes in the front grill).

Solved question 2 (?!) by ignoring that the (very thin) cloth was slightly glued to the grill. Now it’s not… – and there is no audible or visible difference.

I’ll return on question 3 if/when I make up a trick to fix this.
    Thought about making a “press-form” of “liquid metal” and/or heat the grill up to get it back in shape. Ideas still welcome.
    L16 Decade/L26 Decade/L36 Decade/L65 Jubal/L86/L96 Delta/L100 Century/L110/L150a/L166 Horizon - wanting L300 Summits...

Thread Information