Thread: Just got my lsr32's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just got my lsr32's

I just got my lsr32's from the tent sale 2 days ago and though I'd post my impressions.

First I am not sure what qualifies them as B stock. On one speaker I can find no cosmetic issues, and on the other all I could find is a small drip of clue in the port.

Upon arrival one of the port tubes was separated from the cast aluminum part that holds the mid and tweeter. I fixed that easily with a careful application of JB weld. I suspect this happened in shipping. Thirty minutes later I was ready to go.

After listing to the speakers for 2 days I am nothing short of amazed. The clarity and over all balance is incredible. I usually listen at low levels, but I cranked them up a few times and at high levels the lack of power compression and distortion is something that I am not used to hearing. The sound is great.

If anyone is thinking about getting them from the tent sale I would not hesitate to get them. It best decision I have made in a while.

Allen

mrbluster
    Glad it worked out so well. It would be helpful to know what you are used to listening to as far as speakers go.

What are you powering them with?

Before these I had a pair of 4311b's for sever years. I am powereing them with a crown ps400 hooked to a urei 1620 as a pre amp.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    What are you powering them with?
    Important consideration. These speakers will definitely tell you things about your source material and electronics which other speakers will not have revealed to you. They add very little distortion of their own, and their frequency response is extraordinarily flat.

Also, I believe that buying a pair of these speakers is the cheapest way to starting listening to a pair of JBL neodymium, dual-voice-coil-plus-braking-coil woofers. That is to say, a modern woofer. And no foam surround! Read up on them.

And I think the LSR32 is identical to current product except for the shielded tweeter in the LSR6332. The neodymium magnet structures on the woofer and midrange are self-shielding. I used my LSR32's about a foot away from my CRT TV with no problem.

The C500G midrange operates from 250 to 2.2K Hz, so the presentation of the core frequencies for music is entirely seamless.

If you, like Allen, are listening to vintage JBL small format monitors, you might consider upgrading at this time. I know in the past that people seem to have been put off by the bass f3 spec., but I believe that is anechoic and as GT says concerning the new Everest, it is unpredictable how much deeper bass support there will be from room rise in a given environment, but there will be some. (This might be a good time to reread the apologia that has been put forward for the bass design of the new Everest.) Besides, subwoofers are not uncommon.

There is no tiring 50-70 Hz bass hump with these speakers.

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    If you, like Allen, are listening to vintage JBL small format monitors, you might consider upgrading at this time.
    I'm not; I'm listening to PT800's, which aren't shabby. I ordered a pair of the LSR32's about a week ago and am pondering how best to implement them. A new amp seems in order.

Actually, I meant it in a general sense. I'm not familiar with the PT800's. I'm pretty sure you'll like those LSR's.

David

Quote Originally Posted by allen mueller View Post
    . . . . I am nothing short of amazed. The clarity and over all balance is incredible. I usually listen at low levels, but I cranked them up a few times and at high levels the lack of power compression and distortion is something that I am not used to hearing. The sound is great. . . .
    Yes, indeed. $700/pair new is a real bagain. I payed $1100 used for mine a few years ago, and they were worth that.

David

Edit: By the way, when I got mine the gasket was missing from one of the midrange cans. I don't know if that was a factory quality control problem or if it happened afterword, but it might be worth checking.

Thanks for that heads up. I'll double check.

Allen

use 2 right speakers as a pair?

It seems that only the right speaker is available at the tent sale. Did you guys get 2 right speakers to form a pair? Is the difference between left and right only in the configuration of the mid/high driver panel?

Quote Originally Posted by yogaplayer View Post
    It seems that only the right speaker is available at the tent sale. Did you guys get 2 right speakers to form a pair? Is the difference between left and right only in the configuration of the mid/high driver panel?
    They had left and rights until the last day or so. Not sure if lefts are gone for good , or what.

how about some more coments mike

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    how about some more coments mike
    Well, I ordered another pair, if that tells you anything. And my buddy in Oregon ordered a pair.
    I used them last night with an up and coming musician to preview his rough mix CD with him. He paid for big bucks production in Chicago/LA. I thought the first few cuts were so rough that I wondered if they could be salvaged. Probably so, I guess. Anyway, he really appreciated hearing the mix over the LSR's; said he hadn't heard it like that at all yet. I told him to bring the final mix back and hear it some more. Once you have read the white paper on the LSR's, and seen the graphs, you pretty well understand why these are nice. The on axis and early reflected response mirror each other, which is atypical of most systems. Plus, the drivers are low distortion units with good resolution. Pretty much the story. I think the design really works, making it more usable than many other monitors.
    Again, if it's a good recording, enjoy, a mediocre one has me pushing the eject button in search of another well recorded piece.
    I think these will serve me well for some time to come. While it could be said that they are the latest lineage of the L100/4311, other than being a 3 way they have nothing much in common.
    Pedals on the B3 (as well as the heavy lower registers) are played with authority, as is upright bass. I still want to try quality subs with them. I also would like grills for protection. May have to make some sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    While it could be said that they are the latest lineage of the L100/4311, other than being a 3 way they have nothing much in common.
    ...and both have a 12" woofer, and are roughly the same size, and were designed for the same application... but I know what you mean.

Ah, what a difference a few decades of R+D makes... of course if you are still reliving your glory days then keep on rock'n with the vintage system that fits.

Widget

Thread Information