Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Beatles LOVE CD

by the time the beatles had started their best stuff they had quit performing live.the impossibility of doing live versions of complex multi instrumental music had forced them out of the concert venues.in the beatlemania days most of their live shows were so full of teen aged girls screaming that little could be heard above the din anyhow.

MJC
    I picked up the combo set. I gave the cd disc to my daughter.
    That dvd 5.1 is really something to hear. I listened to the entire thing, except SF, SPLHCB. Never liked those two songs.

I listened via analog true dvd-a and thru the digital coax. On a couple of songs via digital(L7 & PLIIx) they were almost instrumental only, as the voice track was very low and in the background. But having equal level of music on at least 6 of 7 channels was fanstastic.
    by the time the beatles had started their best stuff they had quit performing live
    Actually, by the time they did their best(Abby Road, imho) they were just short of breaking up.

thats a favorite of mine too but i consider the stuff from around rubber soul/revolver on as the beginning of their best period. let it be i can live without.

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    by the time the beatles had started their best stuff they had quit performing live.the impossibility of doing live versions of complex multi instrumental music had forced them out of the concert venues.in the beatlemania days most of their live shows were so full of teen aged girls screaming that little could be heard above the din anyhow.
    When you think about concerts today, they're not much improved over the 60s. Band in front, big stacks and racks of equipment, lights, noisy crowd. I'll allow that the recent concert I heard with the JBL Vertec Arrays was absolutely, brilliantly stunning, but otherwise, not much different, except when they used the side and rear arrays for specific musical effects. Then effing awesome.

In the studio, the equipment and the capabilities are far ahead of 40 years ago, and home equipment is far superior. Imagine if the Beatles could grapple with these possibilities at the peak of their power. Who today is able to use today's superior technology in conjunction with superior talent?

Not many. Porcupine Tree is having a go at it. Crystal Method maybe. Good ol' Neil Young.

The Beatles, in 30–40 year old recordings, sound better and adapt more gracefully to multichannel sound than 97% of the tossers out there selling multi-platinum, shit-covered CDs, riding around in limos with their freaking entourages and platinum crack pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    The Beatles, in 30–40 year old recordings, sound better and adapt more gracefully to multichannel sound than 97% of the tossers out there selling multi-platinum, shit-covered CDs, riding around in limos with their freaking entourages and platinum crack pipes.
    Don't hold back , TD..

how do you really feel about the current offerings ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

change a word here an there and that could have been my rant.the other side of that coin is that modern rock bands have the collected works and musical innovations of the last 40 years to draw/steal from.still there is lots of good stuff out there but i find like everything else it has become a cottage industry and off the radar of the corporate sponsored crap out there

Hey Jim

Come on by sometime when you are in the area. Most anything of mine that we can demo, I think you wud like .

sounds like a plan.i have friends in the vancouver area and have threatened to visit for years.in addition to the rock stuff i have an healthy stash of jazz,roots blues,country,southern,and i pick up the old library of congress field recordings when i see them.i should just upload a list of titles but until i become computer savvy;well .......

Is anyone but me bothered by all the remixing and recombining done on the Love CD? I know the project was done for a stage show and probably worked well in that context, but it bugs me nevertheless that such classic material should be tampered with. Giles Martin mentioned in the liner notes that he felt like he was painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa when he began mixing... I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Is anyone but me bothered by all the remixing and recombining done on the Love CD?
    doesnt bother me. sound quality is so good and many tracks feel like new. And the originals are still there on other discs if you want, so whats the harm ?? Its not like singing the US National anthem in Spanglish.

Is anyone but me bothered by all the remixing and recombining done on the Love CD? I know the project was done for a stage show and probably worked well in that context, but it bugs me nevertheless that such classic material should be tampered with. Giles Martin mentioned in the liner notes that he felt like he was painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa when he began mixing... I agree.
    Steve

As you can tell from my other posts in this thread, I am totally on board with what they did. Especially considering the involvement of Ring and Paul and the approval of Yoko and the Harrison estate, there's certainly nothing like deliberate defacement going on, and of course Giles comes on quite strong in his belief in the process once it's under way.

Those who want it the old way can easily get it as SEAWOLF97 writes. For those of us who want more and want it in 5.1 surround to boot, here it is.

as long as the producers are skillful and respectful of the artist(s). i would hate to be subjected to another stars on long play debacle.i was upset when zappa redid some of his stuff but i could have lived with it if the original was out there also

Thanks LHF members

I picked up the CD/DVD-A combo pack tonight. Made my wife very happy (she's a much bigger Beatles fan than am I)

Very well done remastering. The 5.1 24/96 DVD-A section output via the 5.1 analog outputs from my relatively inexpensive Integra DPS-6.5 was a joy to hear.

My wife and I commented to each other about all the musical detail we had not heard in previous Beatles releases.

I thank you all for this discussion. Had the thread not been here, I would have likely passed this work up.

Now, if only more recordings were released/re-released on higher resolution formats, I'd go poor replacing my whole library.
    Paying debt to Karma...

Quote Originally Posted by briang View Post

I thank you all for this discussion. Had the thread not been here, I would have likely passed this work up.

Now, if only more recordings were released/re-released on higher resolution formats, I'd go poor replacing my whole library.
    Seeing it just like you
    I'm still wondering. At AMAZON.DE I found quite a lot "audio dvd", much more than at AMAZON.COM. The (englisch) reviews can be very informativ.

Google can be helpful as well.

Briang, despite my carping about the remixing present in Love, I agree completely on the sonics of the DVD-A, which are an absolute joy. Now if they would just take all 60 or 80 takes of every Beatles song in the vaults and issue them all in high res format then I would enjoy taking a year off and listening to them all!

Thread Information