Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles LOVE CD

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    (snip) and some weirdos like Roxy Music, Zappa and T Dream ...
    If we Zappa fans weren't such weirdoes ourselves, we might take offense at that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

joplin and the dead played here with the festival express tour but is was full tilt or cozmic blues not big brother.as i recall people were shocked at the five dollar ticket price and stayed away.i had to work d'oh

This thread took a strange turn?

back too the love album!
    exelent stuff
    i got a few new favorite tracks

and even my mom was blown away i let her control the sterio while she was here
    if a old hippy says she has never heard the beatles like that must be on the right track
    even with the naked and let it be albums
    she could not remember ever hearing it clearer
    the (ska)amp
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

I spent the extra few bucks to get both the LOVE CD and LOVE DVD-A in the combo package.

I played the CD several times, both at home and at work and enjoyed the improved quality, clarity, and sonics. There were many obvious improvements even with (or because of) the changes that George and Giles Martin, Ringo, Paul, Olivia, and Yoko made to the original tracks.

I love the original versions, but I'm not so much of an old fart that I can't recognize better versions when I hear them. The fact that original musicians, original production people, and dedicated spouses all were involved and gave a blessing is a big plus, but that might have easily resulted in a clusterf**k instead of an improvement.In this case, it's a big improvement.

How wonderful to hear the Beatles in a new, fresh, genuine, and beautiful rendering!

Now, I finally took out the DVD-A, in part as a result of a short exchange between Ian and me:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...&postcount=146

I wanted to see, now that I was accustomed to the updated "look and feel" of the Beatles in LOVE stereo, what my reaction would be in mutlichannel LOVE surround.

One word:

STUNNED.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 01-07-2007 at 04:49 AM. Reason: clarity

MJC
    I've been saying for as long as I've had a dvd-a/sacd player that those two formats are FAR superior to anything cd.
    I have to agree with one of the old Rockers, Steven Stills, Neil Young or who ever it was, that cds are so bad they should have never been brought to market. At least the early ones.
    I haven't looked in the local Target lately, but I doubt they have any dvd-a/sacd. Nowhere else around here does any more. I've bought my last 6 or more discs online. With any luck, I've got 3 more in the mail today.
    Despite Ian's objections to DD/DTS 5.1 Those formats via DVD-A/DTS discs are, again, FAR superior to cd.
    DVD video dts5.1, although not as good as DVD-A, is sill better than anything cd.
    If one has any doubts about that listen to Olivia's 'One Woman's Journey' on a combo DVD-A/DTS/DD disc.
    Then there is also DTS 96/24, even better. Just not enough titles to chose from.

OT, sorry

You may have posted this elsewhere, but what player do you have?

The 96/24 discs I have are by and large wonderful to listen to. Even some 48/24 discs like Prairie Wind have a wonderful sound.

Nevertheless, they sometimes lack a dimensionality that robs them of their full power. It's often experienced as though the group, ensemble, or orchestra is playing "in my room." As wonderful an experience as that is, I don't imagine any of the artists had my room in mind as a performance venue, and a better experience would be if it sounded like I were in the environment the artists intended, rather than they in mine.

With a well done mutlichannel recording, a decent DAC, a robust multichannel amplifier (or multiple stereo amps) and a finely matched speaker set, this aspiration can be achieved. The JBL Performance Series is ideal in this regard because its output is so uniform from top to bottom, and the drivers are very "fast," which helps immensely in creating the dimensionality noted.

Having one of the benchmark DVD-A players, the relatively rare Panasonic XP-50, with 5.1 analog output; running the FAP T1+ as 5.1 direct, with analog bass management; passing the signal to a pair of 200W/ch, JFET/MOSFET, all discrete circuitry five-channel amps; and having a balanced and calibrated quintet of PT800s and PC600 for playback above 80 Hz, the sound from LOVE is truly breathtaking.

Hearing the a capella "Because" is a revelation in vocal purity, ethereal atmosphere, and dimensional openness. If George and Giles Martin wanted me to think I was hearing this outside, sung just for me, that's where I felt I was, not in my house. Ever since I heard this tune for the first time on the Abbey Road LP, I imagined it to be a very spacious, natural, outdoors tune. It is, after all, about the Earth, the wind, and the sky. At the same time, it's very personal and sensory: "...turns me on, ...blows my mind, ...makes me cry." This requires dimensionality and intimacy at the same time. The LOVE DVD-A delivers that experience like never before.

Wonderful, just wonderful...

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    You may have posted this elsewhere, but what player do you have?
    I'm using a Samsung DVD-A/SACD HD841. Certainly not expensive, by any standards. When I bought it, 2~3 years ago, I could already see the trend of having very little software to buy. So I had no intentions of paying top dollar for a Marantz, Lexicon, Mcintosh, etc. and then have very little to play on it.
    The three discs I just bought, showed up yesterday. One has to go back, wrong one. The other two, as it turned out, are DTS CDs, I was thinking they were dvds.
    The Bonnie Raitt disc is a dts 20 bit 5.1 and sounds vey good. But the Sheryl Crow dtsES disc seemed to be a bit harsh. I'll have to give another listen, that one may or may not get much play.
    The one that I have to send back is a DVD-A, but I've already got that one, right artist, wrong title.

Some of the Beatles songs always have had a "big" sound to them. In a stereo sound mix, you could get it loud, but you couldn't always get it big. A pair of gi-normous studio monitors (4435, 4350) would "biggen" up the sound, but only from the front, and then it was just louder again in my room and not bigger than my room.

Take "I Am The Walrus," "Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite!/I Want You (She’s So Heavy)/Helter Skelter," "Strawberry Fields Forever," "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds," "A Day In The Life," and "Hey Jude" to name some, and put them in 5.1 surround, and THEN you have big sound, dimensional sound, larger than my room sound. Four PT800s, a PC600, three PS1400s, and an HTPS400 all doing their discrete thing will kick the sonic ass of any of the older studio monitor pairs.

If I'm interested in really loud, then I can send the signal digitally and decode it with PLIIx to add two more PT800s to the mix.

Big, clear, precise, loud, dimensional, ass-kicking sound! Listenable at any volume! I can only imagine how this would sound through Project Array. I think K2 S9800s and DD66000s would not work in my room at all for multichannel sound (sound TOO big, room too small), but in the right room either would be the tits.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Hearing the a capella "Because" is a revelation in vocal purity, ethereal atmosphere, and dimensional openness. If George and Giles Martin wanted me to think I was hearing this outside, sung just for me, that's where I felt I was, not in my house.
    that is kinda cool. the birds chirping and the fly buzzing around.....and incredible a capella.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    I've been saying for as long as I've had a dvd-a/sacd player that those two formats are FAR superior to anything cd.
    I have to agree with one of the old Rockers, Steven Stills, Neil Young or who ever it was, that cds are so bad they should have never been brought to market. At least the early ones.
    Most of those were AAD's. The D wasn't any better than the A, just straight transfer.

We are getting used to DDD's or at minimum ADD's. (tho starting to see DAD's)

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Most of those were AAD's. The D wasn't any better than the A, just straight transfer.

We are getting used to DDD's or at minimum ADD's. (tho starting to see DAD's)
    The fact that DVD-A uses a higher sampling frequency than cds is just one of the reasons DVD-A is better. I can hear the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    The fact that DVD-A uses a higher sampling frequency than cds is just one of the reasons DVD-A is better. I can hear the difference.
    Sampling rate on licorice pizzas is even higher than DVD-A.

("Licorice Pizza" is a humorous reinterpretation of the abbreviation "LP" which is typically black and of about the same diameter as a pizza. The term was the name of a well-known record store chain in southern California before vinyl records were overtaken by the compact disc)

MJC
    An audio compact disc consists of one or more stereo tracks stored using 16-bit PCM coding at a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz.

CD 16 bit, 44.1 khz sampling rate. Compared to Lossless DVD-A or DTS 96/24, or DTS 20 bit 5.1 music dics.
    And they have the nerve to call it CD quality. Now there is an oxymoron.

Thread Information