Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subwoofer suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Shuster View Post
    I'm 28 and disagree with posters about there not being meaningful content below 40hz. If you listen to modern movies or music loud, most vintage speakers don't cut it. More power never helped me. More displacement did.
    Blaspheme! ...and in many cases true. It is just hard to get those guys that think CCR is modern music to realize that there are recordings out there that actually contain low notes.

I would buy a cheap sub now and worry about upgrades when you are 25 or so...
    I'd buy a decent table saw now. learn how to use it and spend the rest of your life building bigger, better, and badder systems... oh, hold on a minute... that's what I did.

Widget

I'm 28 and disagree with posters about there not being meaningful content below 40hz. If you listen to modern movies or music loud, most vintage speakers don't cut it. More power never helped me. More displacement did.
    No one said there was NO content below 40 HZ. Just that for 95% of commercially recorded music it is filtered out.

I listen to my music with a 61 band RTA display going and the 20 to 40 HZ bands very seldom show any signal. Even some well mastered stuff is lacking down there. I have 3-18" subs and 4-15" mid bass (80 to 250 HZ) drivers in my HT system to maximize it when it IS there.

The L100t and L100t3 respond to more power by giving you more articulated bass, keeping the 2214 under control and being able to move that cone like it should. Our mans receiver just isn't going to do them justice. I found a that an amp with "Big Balls" woke mine up and adding 2-B380 clones put them over the top.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mascali View Post
    No one said there was NO content below 40 HZ. Just that for 95% of commercially recorded music it is filtered out.
    I just spot checked some of my collection which is probably 85% post 1990.
    I would say its more like 50%. I checked quite a few genres.

Regarding power I thought QwertyAccess was using a Luxman? The only time I have had more power help was when I was 18, I had one of those 1980s low-end Sony receivers. Remember the ones with a sheet metal body and that pressboard back. I bought an Onkyo and it did help. But once I was past that basic quality level more power didn't produce more bass. 100 watts is too much distortion in most speakers anyway, they no longer sound they're best so why try to put 1000w into them?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mascali View Post
    (snip)

I found a that an amp with "Big Balls" woke mine up and adding 2-B380 clones put them over the top.
    Wouldn't the B380 clones put them under the bottom?
    Out.

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    Im actually only powering them with a Denon DRA-625 which in any case, only puts out 65 watts, My luxman i used it for like 2 days, it sounded much more amazing, but sadly it stopped working, and its been recently sent to a repairman. I think the Luxman's 120 Watts, and it also happening to be a very well built amplifier and not only that CLEAN, might make these L100T's sing, hopefully they make it out of the shop okay. Its been sent to an asian repairman, as my dad says those guys are alot better at figuring things out, and also cheaper.

I think i'll love the luxman though, its one of those things that look good on the outside, and on the inside, dont have outside picture though, but i attached insides of mine. I think L-110 Luxman back in 1982? or something. It was spotless in my opinion!

So hopefully that comes back alive, and i'll try to see if i can get my 2214H reconed by edgewound, as for subwoofers, if i find it necessary, i'll just have to keep an eye out for some nice deal.

I can understand that alot of power is nice, but somehow i do find it risky to have something like 400 watts go into a 200 watt speaker?, if not even more.

Still furthering off topic, what would be a good way to raise a speaker like the L100T's? height perhaps a few inches, I was thinking of picking up some concrete blocks, and just have the speakers sit on it like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Young, but i love speakers!

I can understand that alot of power is nice, but somehow i do find it risky to have something like 400 watts go into a 200 watt speaker?,
    Only if you are down right irresponsible will you have an issue. Back in the day one of the sure fire ways to launch your woofers was to drop your tone arm. Unless you have an oops or play them way to loud you should be fine. I used to have 50 watt L 100's with a 200 watt per channel amp. Never had a problem. That power is there for instantaneous peaks not steady state.

Rob

If you like the retro look and die hard principles have a look at the Zu Method. You can build one with Eminence 15 inch drivers for a whole lot less

http://www.zucable.com/method/index.html

Hi.

I want to say that in my setup with JBL L65 Jubal's, having an amplifier with good enough LF controll is esential. And its not always the amount of watts that decide. The Pass Labs Aleph 1.2 (200W) had a tremendous clarity in the mids and upps, but the bottom sounded mushy and slow. I then tried an ICE based solution witch puts out 250w/channel. No way near the Pass in the mid/upps, but in a totally different leauge when it comes to bass response.

What i finally ended up with was a Crown XTi-1000 (275w) with a built in parametric EQ. Here i got to tune down the 65hz, wich in my room becomes a bit boomy. And OMG the bass plumped down into the 20s and tapping of strings on the bass guitar became much clearer and the kickdrum was as physical as you could wish for (speaker size taken into consideration). Vintage speakers CAN play into the low's

So my conclusion is that JBL woofers are kinda hard to controll, but once you find the right match the outperform everything else i have heard. And you cant get to much power.

I dont like to say negative things about peoples gear, but that Denon wont cut it, im sorry.

Best regards

Thread Information