Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 250 Boxes

Just looking over your project. Looks like fun!! Bet it will kick some butt when your done. My thoughts on using the Le-14H-3 with 2235 subs??? In that volume the 14's can give you some very impressive low end. I also think the 14's are a better sounding transducer and you may be better off just tuning them for extended bass and forget about the 2235's. Unless you go the B380 with a BX-63 you will not be gaining any more extended lowend and with the group delay in that set up I think the 14's are the way to go.

What I would do is try both ways and see what works best for you. I have LE-14H-3 in my active set-up being broken in as subs. They are in 4 cubic ft and are really impressive in that volume.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

MJC
    JBLnsince1959,
    After 3 years, I don't remember if you bought any SUB1500s, but if you did, that is what I would use for my subs (and I do, with my PT800's) and forget the le14-3, and the 2235's. If the SUB1500's were good enough for Revel, they're good enough for the PT800's.
    And bi-amp them with a Crown K2.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Just looking over your project. Looks like fun!! Bet it will kick some butt when your done. My thoughts on using the Le-14H-3 with 2235 subs??? In that volume the 14's can give you some very impressive low end. I also think the 14's are a better sounding transducer and you may be better off just tuning them for extended bass and forget about the 2235's. Unless you go the B380 with a BX-63 you will not be gaining any more extended lowend and with the group delay in that set up I think the 14's are the way to go.

What I would do is try both ways and see what works best for you. I have LE-14H-3 in my active set-up being broken in as subs. They are in 4 cubic ft and are really impressive in that volume.

Rob
    Thanks for the tip Rob. yes, the 2235's may be over kill or just not needed. My thinking was to take the lower ( 40 - 60) freq off off the LE14H-3 in the hope that maybe it would make the LE14H-3 a little cleaner and tighter in it's freq range ( 40-60 to 130). It was mostly to do as you mentioned with the B380 with a BX-6 ( only with two of them)

I'm not real big on blasting bass anyway.... Mostly I'm just brainstorming and thinking out loud..also, I've got two 2235 subs in storage waiting to see day light again. For certain I'll test things out before anythings really written in stone

BTW, what are your subs connected too. Since I haven't been on the forum a whole lot lately I may have missed your current complete setup...

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    JBLnsince1959,
    After 3 years, I don't remember if you bought any SUB1500s, but if you did, that is what I would use for my subs (and I do, with my PT800's) and forget the le14-3, and the 2235's. If the SUB1500's were good enough for Revel, they're good enough for the PT800's.
    And bi-amp them with a Crown K2.
    No, I didn't buy a sub1500...

read my clarified mission statement below- so no can do on forgetting the LE14H-3, it's part of the description...

I'm not really looking for a sub, I was just thinking to relieve the 14 of the lower duties( see post above to Rob and new post below)

I used a K2 with my 2235's and it was sweet( and might pull it out again if i use the 2235's). However, for the LE14H-3s I'll use a BIG MAC to match up with my MC402 ( used on the 800 part)to keep the sound the same..

after re-reading Robs and MJC's reply I realized that in my haste to write, I may have been too general in my general statements ( mission statement and project outline) and people may not have a clear understanding of what I'm planning to do or exactly what my intent is ( My Bad)

so for the sake of clarification I'll rewrite those.....

Mission statement ( clarified)
    to take the tansducers (LE14H-3, 908Ti,904Ti, TM025) from the PS Series Stack (PT800 and PS1400 ) and place them in 250 boxes.

Project Outline ( clarified)
    1. Place transducers from the PS Series STACK into a 250 box ( given in mission satatement)

2. Bi-amp between the LE14H-3 and 908Ti ( affirmed by Giskard)

3. 2235 subs nixed

I'll most likely start the project for real around Sept to Oct of 2007 ( research and calculations) HOWEVER, it has been over 35 years since I've attemped a DIY project of this complexity so I'll need all the help and advise I can get. I do NOT have the knowledge and experience of Giskard, Rob, Widget, Zilch and the rest of the LHF gang in system design so a lot of learning is my first step. Any help, particularly with the tuning and crossover considerations would be greatly appreciated.

this thread can be used for brain storming if anyone wishes to contibute, once I start this for real I'll create a thread in the DIY forum

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread and shown an interest....

MJC - I'll keep your suggestions about the crossover in mind...very interesting ( In my haste I missed that earlier)

to be continued....

My 2 cents worth here....

After hearing LE14H-1's myself I have to say the 2235's would not really be necessary.

While the 2235's have more output, the LE14's have a more "pitch-perfect" response that did not leave me feeling the need for more re-inforcement on the bottom end.

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Thanks Ron:

well, that's three people advising me against it so forget the 2235's for now. I'll revise my project outline and focus only on the PS/250 setup.
    I've got two 2235 subs in custom made boxes just sitting in storage..maybe I'll have to sell them...

BTW..did you get the E130's finished and hooked up, I may have missed that

Glad to see you staying with LE14's...

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959 View Post
    Thanks Ron:

well, that's three people advising me against it so forget the 2235's for now. I'll revise my project outline and focus only on the PS/250 setup.
    I've got two 2235 subs in custom made boxes just sitting in storage..maybe I'll have to sell them...

BTW..did you get the E130's finished and hooked up, I may have missed that
    E130 in 100hz Edgarhorn is not best solution. but running them now as no time to play with anything else. I posted to my "Edgarhorn" thread just the other day.

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Ron:

I'll look for the thread and see what you posted. Frankly I've been too busy to really pay attention to very much here. Hell, I even forgot that this was my thread when Dome reopened it. Now that's sad...

Well, I never was going to get rid of the LE14H-3, what I was thinking was to use the 2235 sub boxes to take the VLF (somewhere around 40 to 60 and below)and retune the 250 box to make the LE14H-3 behave more as a midbass speaker so to speak...but that's on the back burner.

I'll look up your thread tonight when i get chance..

Next time I'm in Ohio I'll plan more time to hang around and hopefully Catz and I won't be having "discussions"

Use the 2235 subs in a alternate project...

I'm sure you have more than one system laying around!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Obsolete
    make the LE14H-3 behave more as a midbass speaker so to speak...
    Cut the moving mass in half and maybe so...

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Cut the moving mass in half and maybe so...

which half do i cut off of the cone - the left or the right?

seriously tho, this project is a good time for me to dust off some old books and buy new ones so I can learn more about design. I learn best from doing a project. That way I can make every mistake and learn from them. That's why I'm not in too big a hurry ( also, I've got a business to run with some serious deadlines coming due)

Glad i'm using this thread for brain stroming so you guys can keep me straight

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    I'm sure you have more than one system laying around!

Ron

Not really, they were built some time ago to go with my 4430's which I sold to Audiobeer a few years ago. Once i'm done with this project I do want to get back into horns. Those subs just don't fit anything I have in mind.

K2 would be nice with LE14H-1 also!

I'm not really looking for a sub, I was just thinking to relieve the 14 of the lower duties( see post above to Rob and new post below)

I used a K2 with my 2235's and it was sweet( and might pull it out again if i use the 2235's). However, for the LE14H-3s I'll use a BIG MAC to match up with my MC402 ( used on the 800 part)to keep the sound the same..
    For myself, I found the LE14H-1 to be a superior woofer to the 2235H as far as the tonal qualites. It will not match the total output of the 2235H, but I think you will not need any help on the bottom end with just the LE14H-1!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

And ... what do you think about my personal italian L250?

This is a reply of JBL L250. The woodworker is the same of the first Italian Sonus Faber and the components are:
    woofer 2231h
    mid-bass 2118h
    mid-high 2105h
    tweeter 2403h (the best tweeter of JBL of all times)
    wood 30mm block walnut
    ... what do you think about my personal italian L250?
    Ciao
    Giuseppe
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information