Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 250 Boxes

250 Boxes

Well, drove to spkrman57s' place in Columbus Ohio from Kansas City this last weekend to pick up the 250 boxes he had for sell. Loooooong ass drive back and forth, but it was worth it. believe or not we put them in the trunk of a Ford Contour. Ron really knows what he's doing when it comes to putting 10LBs of sh*t in a 5LB box

in the little time I was there, I had a great time. I had wanted to stay over Sat. night, play with speakers, get wasted and take pictures of his incredible house of goodies , BUT, the lady had other ideas

Ron is a super nice guy and everything that's in his house is simply jaw-dropping.. amazing.... just amazing.

Ron, I really enjoyed listening to your horns and tube amps( in the pictures)...Once I'm done with the PS/250 stuff I'm back to horns and tubes myself for the next project. Wish we could have had the E130's ready to go with the horns..maybe next time...

Thanks again for the great hospitality..just wish I could have enjoyed a couple of "cold ones"

Here's some pictures of us..( I'm in the solid blue shirt) and Whit!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by JBLnsince1959; 11-09-2006 at 04:51 AM. Reason: aaaa

Question

So, we going to see the boxes you got, and are you going to tell us what you plan to do with them?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    So, we going to see the boxes you got, and are you going to tell us what you plan to do with them?
    sure, when I get time. the trip didn't go as I had planned. We had hoped for a lot of pictures of the 250 boxes, Rons' house and all the goodies, the speakers in the trunk BUT...things didn't go as planned.

As mentioned in the thread in the Marketplace, I'll be putting the Transducers from the PS series into the 250 boxes. I guess that will be a thread in DIY forum. I'll try to get some pictures of the boxes and post them in a week or two but it will be around next March when I get going on the project for real.

Very interesting what you are going to do with the boxes. Looking forward to pics.

So you brought your "faithful" on the long drive? Guess she loved it. They always want to go no matter what.

Enjoyed the opportunity to meet another forum member...

It was fun to meet and discuss our JBL ideas and such. Too bad we did not have more time together like you said.

The round wooden horns in the pics are Edgar 500hz tractix w/GP 399 driver(288-8K clones), they are 1.4" and sound nice to me at least.

I can't wait for Rick to install his performance series drivers in the 250(variant) cabinets.

Thanks for stopping by!

By the way, Whit is a very well behaved dog! That's good as she hits the scales at just over 100 lbs. Too bad she did not have much room to get around inside my house!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Are those the prototype boxes??? Would love to see them loaded up in someone's livingroom!! That would be cool! Talk about a unique one of a kind system

Rob

That be them!

They are traveling around the JBL fanclub circuit.

Who knows where Blaster got them from....

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    So you brought your "faithful" on the long drive? Guess she loved it. They always want to go no matter what.
    Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    By the way, Whit is a very well behaved dog! That's good as she hits the scales at just over 100 lbs. Too bad she did not have much room to get around inside my house!

Regards, Ron

yes, Whit goes everywhere with me and is with me all day at work too. If I go to the store and don't take her, she sits by the door "crying". God have I spoiled this dog. She's really a sweet, sweet soul and typical GS wanting to be with and please her owner. She does great on long trips in the car. We even took her to Yellowstone Park this summer. She get's a little edgy at someones house for the first hour or so because she doesn't know what's happening ( she was pound dog and maybe thinks shes going to be left off), but then she calms down and is just her regular self. When we stayed at Rusnzhas' house this Labor day weekend, she just stayed in the back yard and house ( SH*T - I forgot to do a thread on the visit - sorry Russ, that was a great experience and I didn't "Doc" it)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Very interesting what you are going to do with the boxes. Looking forward to pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Are those the prototype boxes??? Would love to see them loaded up in someone's livingroom!! That would be cool! Talk about a unique one of a kind system

Rob
    Rob:
    yes, those are the ones, they even have the "infamous" GT proto type tags on each of them. I've only looked them over for 5 minutes or so once I got home, but DAMN if they don't look like the real thing . The sides and top are even finished ( which doesn't show in the picture). Maybe we'll do a comparison of the cabs and construction techniques against the ones Dome has. Who ever built them did a great job.....

These are the perfect speakers for this experiment as they don't have the 250 Tweeter housing that sticks out of a normal 250. One thing that concerned me was having to "Cut" that out of a regular 250 cab to make the EOS waveguide fit. So these are a gift from GOD and the reason I jumped on them so quickly and traveled so far.

I'll go into more detail later ( got to work) and get pics this weekend...

the basic plan is this
    1. have Ian build active crossovers between the LE14H-3 and 908Ti. for now I'll use the amp inside the PS1400 for the bass
    2. Build passive crossovers using Clarity caps and other good parts for the "PT800" part ( I'll test out different caps and CC'ing over the years and post)
    3. Make everything fit...I'm thinking of doing like the Ultima2 Series by Revel and making raised curved mountings for the trans to sit in....this will help "fit" the trans. into the baffle, help with the placement of the trans. for time aligment and may reduce refractions( will cover the mountings with felt)

One of my lady's uncles owns a cabinet making company up around St. Joe Mo. I may have to have his help making the correct mountings for the Trans...

Once I start the thread in DIY forum I may need all the help I can get from you guys as you know way more than I do on the tech end of things.

Well, the mystery 250 "proto type" cabs have finally found a permanent home. I'll never get rid of them...this should be fun

have a good day everyone
    Last edited by JBLnsince1959; 11-10-2006 at 12:31 PM. Reason: aa

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    They are traveling around the JBL fanclub circuit.

Who knows where Blaster got them from....

Ron

I've been wondering about that myself...would be interesting to "trace' them back thru their owners...

I saw them on E-Bay a couple years back. I am sure they were the same ones. Would be fun to find the lineage on them.

Rob

So, we going to see the boxes you got?
    Your wish is my command...everything in it's own time....

below are pictures of the mystery XPL250 " Prototype" boxes. Seeing how I plan to put the PS series transducers in them the term "prototype" seems most appropriate

other views

Smile Thanks. Now questions.

Those pictures really shed new light on the cabinets.

What is that black covering? It doesn't look like Neoprene in the pics. It looks like a glued on covering of some sort. Is it flush with the sides and front baffle, or does it stick out due to its dimensional thickness?

Are those baffle openings what we'd expect? Looks like maybe 035TiA was front mounted at the top. The mid must have been an 095Ti. The midbass probably a 108H with an LE14H-x at the bottom?

I see some wiring sticking out of the 8" opening. Are the rest of the transducer openings also wired?

Looks like an exciting opportunity for you.
    Out.

curiouser and curiouser

What is that black covering? It doesn't look like Neoprene in the pics. It looks like a glued on covering of some sort. Is it flush with the sides and front baffle, or does it stick out due to its dimensional thickness?

Not sure it's like a rough woven fabric....spkrman57 may be able to shed more light on that. It is not flush but is glued on, so it sticks out.

Are those baffle openings what we'd expect? Looks like maybe 035TiA was front mounted at the top. The mid must have been an 095Ti. The midbass probably a 108H with an LE14H-x at the bottom?
    the tweeter hole will fit a 35tia flush mounted perfectly ( not sure what was meant to be there) and the mid-range will fit a 93 perfectly according to spkrman57..

the bass looks standard and what we would expect.

Of course I haven't had much time to look at them or compare. I'll post more about them and the holes at a later date

I see some wiring sticking out of the 8" opening. Are the rest of the transducer openings also wired?
    the wiring you see is the wire going thru the8" sub-cabinet... the sub cabs for the mid-range is no longer there ( I feel part of it inside - or what I think was it)

the tweeter has no sub cab either, but part of a ring of silicone appears to be inside..

the more I think about this the more strange they are..

I'll have to post more later..

looking at the back and upper corners, how do they compare with yours???

Smile

My L250 cabinets have two removable panels on the back. At the top is a panel that must be removed to access the 044-1 from the rear for removal. Below that, the entire rest of the rear panel can be removed by taking out numerous screws. However, since all the rest of the drivers are removable from the front, there's no need to go to that trouble.

The cut outs on the back look typical for an L250 cabinet, with the big opening for the crossover and attenuation bars.

The sides look like stock L250.

The front is a bit of a conundrum. There are no speaker grille mounting holes on the baffle, so again it looks more like an L250 cabinet, but otherwise it's like a completely different baffle from the 8" hole on up, plus the solid wood quarter-rounds and 044-1 ring don't seem to be there. I wonder what it looks like underneath that black paint and that glued on sheet?
    Out.

Thread Information