Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite small JBL's and Altecs

Favorite small JBL's and Altecs

We spend a lot of time on the big boys! What's you favorites on the other end of the scale??? I dragged out a pair of L20t3 with the 115H-1 polypropylene cone and the 035's. You forget just how good those little guys can sound.

Rob

Obsolete

Re: Favorite small JBL's and Altecs

Here's my list

XPL90A
    4406 (044Ti substituted for 035Ti/035TiA)
    18Ti
    4301B/L19A

For me, the 4301B's are simply astonishing. I marvel at their capabilities all-the-while I'm in the shop, where they work for me.

As close to a 4345's response-wise, in a sensibly sized two-way, that I have found. My wifey keeps thinking we could salvage the Family Room decor, but I have no idea what she's talking about. Looks PERFECT, to me...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Does JBL make little speakers?

Oh yeah, those ever popular L100s are made by JBL aren't they.

jim henderson
    I have biamped L300s in my home theater and L65s in a bedroom, but I'm constantly amazed at how good the L19s in my bedroom sound. They're on a cheap Technics SA-EX140 receiver that uses a strange class H+ amp, which has great dynamics at low to moderate volume levels.

Now I want to hear Giskard's other recommendations (XPL90A, 4406 (044Ti substituted for 035Ti/035TiA) and 18Ti)

I'm wondering if I can make an XPL90a crossover for my L20T3s. And will it make them sound like they are worth $649 each?

JBL Dog
    Yeah, I have a pair of 4301BE's (w/15 watt energizer on board) in the garage and they kick butt for little guys.

And, uh.... Audiobeer, Control 5's aren't bad as long as you're running two at a time!

This message comes from JBL Dog
    Last edited by JBL Dog; 11-06-2003 at 10:47 PM.

gyusher

L-46 / L-19

My favorite small JBL is the L-46 and then the L-19, as mentioned I am constantly being amazed at the L-19. For a time I had both hooked to my Pioneer SX-1250 in my office/computer room.
    I was able to instantly switch back and forth between the two. The better tweeter on the 46 wins but both are fine loudspeakers. Every time I would get to thinking they were not adequate they would play something that would get me scratching my head saying WOW! I use my L-112s now, some consider it a small speaker. . . . .
    I am excited about my Altec Three find, after refoaming I cant wait to see how these old war dogs sound. . . .

I think the entire L series were pretty amazing. I have an affinity for the L-26. It has such an open live sound and packs a punch for a small speaker. When put up against many a larger speaker, the little 26 comes through way ahead of the competition.

Maron Horonzakz
    Any thing shorter than a Hartsfield is a small speaker. Any thing narrower than a Paragon is a small speaker. PaPa speaker PARAGON, MaMa speaker METRAGON, Baby speaker MINIGON.

Finally!

Maron,

Thank you. Finally someone has put this discussion into a framework that I can understand.

JBL Dog
    Originally posted by Maron Horonzakz
    Any thing shorter than a Hartsfield is a small speaker. Any thing narrower than a Paragon is a small speaker. PaPa speaker PARAGON, MaMa speaker METRAGON, Baby speaker MINIGON.
    I knew it! I have a completely dysfunctional family of JBL speakers!

Daddy's (Paragon) nowhere to be found and I have two mom's (Metregon's) taking care of baby (Minigon).

Does this mean my Metregon's are ...... ??? OMG!! I think I need counseling!! I knew Melissa Etheridge was sounding way too good through the Metregon.

Where's David Crosby when I need him.

Last edited by JBL Dog; 11-06-2003 at 08:23 PM.

Obsolete
    "We spend a lot of time on the big boys!"

Evidently this thread is no exception

Whackos

Originally posted by JBL Dog
    And, uh.... Audiobeer, Control 5's aren't bad as long you're as running two at a time!

BITCH

Thread Information