Thread: Advice Please: timber match with L100t and L80t3?

md_steve

Advice Please: timber match with L100t and L80t3?

I hope someone could give me an opinion for home theater and the Jbl L100t and L80t3.

I was going to use 2 L100t's for the Front left and right
    and then the 2 L80t3's for the center (maybe only 1, depending on the look/sound). For the rears I am trying to pick up some L1's or possibly some newer S36's.

First, will the L80t3's and the L100t's timber match well enough to make a good front set for home theater? I have tried using the new S-Center II and it doesn't seem to match well with the L100t's. (I have to decide wether to buy the L80t3's from a friend or not)

Second, how well does this kind of speaker set do for home theater versus say, a new set in the $1000 range (total, all 5 speakers). Any thoughts? (I am not very impressed with the latest Studio or Northridge Series from JBL).

Is there any difference in design philosophy for HT speakers versus stereo speakers or is it better is better in either case?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Hello Steve

I had a set-up with L80t3 for mains an S center with L20T for the rears. I really like this set-up and still have all the speakers and will set them up again when I can. They worked great for HT for me. The L80t and L20t are voiced with tweeter levels up compared to the T3 cousins. I guess the L100T maybe a little hotter than the L80t3's. The L80t3 matched well with the original S center. I have the crossover schematics for all of them if you want to tweak the tweeter levels. Can you borrow an L80t3 to try them?? Also a single L20t of T3 will make a really good center to match with the mains. L1's are real nice. I have the L3's nice speakers. Why 2 centers??

Rob

md_steve
    Thanks for replying Rob.

The reason I mentioned 2 centers is that I probably will have to take both the L80t3's from my friend this weekend if I want them. It's a long drive and I won't be going back for a while and he wants them gone. So I'll have them and I don't know what I'll do with the other one, hence the thought of using both speakers as the center.

That's funny that you mentioned the L80T's have more tweeter than the L80T3's. I wouldn't have characterized my L100t's as hot in the tweeter range at all. They seem pretty flat in response and well balanced. I would even say that the SCenterII seems too hot for the L100 and that is why it doesn't match well. Do you know if the SCenterI is less hot than the SCenter II? That might be why I haven't gotten the best results with timbre matching with my SCenter II.

Do you think the L80t3's sound better than the L100t's? I might get rid of the L100t's since they are pretty obnoxiously large if the L80t3's sound better.

I would like to get a copy of the crossover so that I could tweak them. How could I do that? Should I send you a private message with my email?

Thanks again,

Steve

Hello Steve

Just PM me with your email address and I will send the schematics. I have never compared the L80 to the L100. I would think the lowend on the L100 would be better. The original S center measured pretty flat with a rolled off last octave. It was a good match for the L80T3. Don't know if they revoiced the S Center 2 or not.

Rob

relyen
    I can add my two cents if you would like another opinion. My current set up uses L100t3's for the mains and an S center that I purchased off e-bay. In my search for center channel speakers I have tried various JBL monitors including Pro III's (too small), Pro VIII's (wasn't a good match), 4408A (was a little hot on the high end) and landed on the S Center as a good compromise. I borrowed a 4412 (not the "A" version) and like it the most, but it was just a little large sitting on top of my big screen. In case you wanted the rest of the speaker compliment in my system I am using the following JBL systems:

L100t3 x2 for the mains, S-Center, ProIII x2 mounted on MTC2 brackets for the rears and two B360 (2235 drivers) low frequency systems crossed over using two BX63a summing/dividing networks.

Of course, this will start over again if I ever find a pair of 250ti's or XPL200A's in my travels close to home!

Randy

md_steve
    Relyen, Rob or anyone who might know,

I wanted to get a clarification on wether there is a sonic difference between the SCenter II or SCenter I. Are either of you using the SCenterII or are both of you using SCenter I. It might be a better match than the SCenterII and I was curious which ones you were using?

I had the original S center. Never tried the -2

Rob

relyen
    To make things even more confusing I am using the II. I see both on e-bay all of the time, but I am not sure how they differ

Randy

Thread Information