Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your first CD ?

Your first CD ?

was just listening to Dire Straits on XM and got to recollecting that they were they first CD I ever purchased...."Brothers in Arms" ..it was a German pressing and still one of my favs.

Do you remember your first ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

clmrt
    Pink Floyd's Momentary, and the D-3 Portable from Sony, 1987. Xmas gift from Ma.

Thanks, mom.

Thumbs up Easy

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon and Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, bought at the same time at the "CD Is Here Now" sale at Fisher's Big Wheel, weeks before I had enough money to buy a CD player at Sears.
    Out.

oh
    not exactly sure of the 1st

But in the brand new collection was

john farnam - whispering jack (suprising good sound)
    travelling willbury`s - vol 1 (no need for further comment)
    Crowded house - Crowded house (I got a feeling this was up 1st)

and a brand new $800 phillips cd player
    wish i had a photo of that old baby
    Im sure it was the 1st modle relised in aus.
    If the cd had more tracks than the player could handle,
    You could only scan through the last tracks.And not access them directly

oh yeah i also got a copy of brothers in arms
    but that was a few weeks later

aerosmith - pump The day that came out!
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon and Dire Straits Brothers in Arms,
    Great minds think alike.....DSOM was #2 purchase

Waiting for the Eclectician or Someone like Him

It took a long time for me to be convinced that we had to get a CD player and that I'd have to start replacing my favorite LPs with CDs. The first one was Rubber Soul, the Beatles, the second was Dark Side of the Moon, the third was a boxed set of Eric Satie's piano music.

My first was Donald Fagen's "Nightfly", bought on it's release date in anticipation of getting my first CD player, a Philips (Magnavox badged, IIRC) that I still have, somewhere. I also still have my first "real" CD player, a Sony CDP-101—their first. Still no "DSOTM", though it appears to be the favorite first CD around here. I guess I heard it too much in college on the LP.

Seawolf: Did you write the Wikipedia Compact Disc entry?
    "The far larger popular and rock music industries were slower to adopt the new format, especially in the huge consumer markets in Europe and the United States, the first notable success being Brothers in Arms in 1985."

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    was just listening to Dire Straits on XM and got to recollecting that they were they first CD I ever purchased...."Brothers in Arms" ..it was a German pressing and still one of my favs.

Do you remember your first ??
    I believe it was ... if not the first, one of my first. Still one I listen to very often.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Seawolf: Did you write the Wikipedia Compact Disc entry?
    No, not me. I'm not much of a writer. The little I do here is more than I do anywhere else. I just feel at home in this group.

Was too poor to buy a CD new. Went to "Music Millennium" , a kinda of hippy music store famous in Portland. You know , one with a couch where you could chill and check out the tunes. SAt there and checked the binder of used CDs and really lit up when BIA was in there. It wasn't their first album, but I think their first CD ? Remember paying $8 for it and happy for the deal.

#3 HAD TO BE "Abraxas". In the darkroom aboard our CVA at Yankee Station (1971), we had 2 records and a record player with detachable speakers. Played "Tumbleweed Connection" and "Abraxas" until they were worn out.
    Last edited by SEAWOLF97; 11-07-2006 at 04:20 PM. Reason: xtra

Spyro Gyra- Morning Dance, probably 1986, before I had a CD player but I needed a test disc to demo Donald Trump's AV system to him. Stolen from me by a co-worker. Next one was Horowitz live in Moscow, and I re-purchased Morning Dance. Those and about 5 others (Bob James/David Sanborn- Double Vision, Police first album, Joe Jackson- Look Sharp!, Vivaldi Four Seasons and Handel Water Music would be my guesses) were then stolen by my brother's friend. Re-purchased Morning Dance a few years later, still have it. Not the best sounding disc, but it's somehow special.

je

wish you were here................. floyd

Bruce Hornsby and the Range

"The Way it is" 1986. Just pulled it out....still have it exactly 20 years later! Level 42 "World Machine" and "Runnin in the Family" right away, too....just looked, still have those too, damn...and "Brothers in Arms"...let me go look... Got that still, too....4 for 4....what don't I have now? Hmmn...

Mint 4315's, sold for $600.00 20 yrs ago... Mcintosh pair of MC75's with tube cages and origonal owner's manuals....sold for $900 20 years ago. They were mint, too.

The moral of the story....the list goes on, as old equipment get's traded....but the music still stays...
    (I miss those old blue JBL's, though...they were purrty)

I'm a little embarrassed. My first CD was a freeby that I had won from a local radio station. 'Twas Linda Ronstadt's "Cry Like A Rain Storm, Howl Like The Wind." I still have it, but hardly if ever listen to it. It was late 1989 or early 1990 and I didn't have a CD player yet. I was still listening to vinyl. My first CD player was a Teac 6 disc magazine changer that I picked up a local pawn shop for $60.

Larry

Suzanne Vega, Solitude Standing. Quickly followed by some Neil Young. First classical (and first decent quality cd) was a Nimbus selection, Hayden and Boccherini Cello Concertos. I don't listen to Suzanne Vega any more, the classical album is still beyond great and Neil Young is still a God to me.

I still have my vinyl of Waiting For The Electrician... and The Nightfly.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Brothers in arms, it was either the first or one of the first mixed for CD and you could tell. It just jumped at you. Played it on a deck I bought used for about $400.00 prices have changed. Im sure you can still pay big $$ but I had no choice then and there weren't a lot of cd's to choose from once I got the deck.

Thread Information