Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your first CD ?

BMWCCA, my first player was also the top loader Magnavox. My friend Larry and I both bought them as refurbs and used them until they quit. Like yours, mine is still packed away.

The first CD I owned was the sampler disc included with the player. Larry had, like you, obtained Nightfly as soon as it went on sale; the first CD we had laid eyes on.

Add 1927- ish to my list
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

Was just listening to the soundtrack of "Koyaanisqatsi" by Phillip Glass. Incredible. If it had been available at the time it would have been my first CD. I think he won an Academy Award for this work.

In case you havnt seen it , I wont give away the plotline.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Joni Mitchell, Court and Spark, Ben Webster meets Ike Quebec (both at the same time). It took me a while to transition. I held on to vinyl.

So after all this discussion of "Brothers in Arms" , I found my copy . Stuck it in the PC and ripped at 320bps. Moved it to the Nano . Connected the Shure E2Cs , jumped in bed and was in audio Nirvana. WOW !! Great Album.

On the "MTV" track , it raised goosebumps on my arms. Love dem Shures...

My first was David Grusin's Night Lines. Wow, what a memory! I was at the Audio Engineering Society meeting in NYC shopping for a (then new) Solid State Logic console the year (1983) when this CD came out. They had somehow wangled a 32-track multitrack digital copy of the main songs from this album as demonstration material. They brought myself and my colleagues in and allowed us to mix these songs to try out the console.

When I got home, I had to get it, but CDs were so new there weren't any players available in my area. When the first one (a lousy Sanyo) became available, I rushed out and bought it and the CD. I returned the player within a week for the next model that came in, a JVC 300, because the silly Sanyo upcut any selection you cued to.

Now, this was back in "single D to A converter with no timing compensation" days, so there were HORRIBLE problems with getting a center image because of a data interleaving delay between the left and right channels.

Obviously I was back in the stores right soon to get a much improved dual D to A unit. Ah, the joys of the bleeding edge....

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

most anticipated "pre-record" purchase

most anticipated "pre-record" purchase

In 1969, I was in I-corps, VN . 1970 in IV-corps. We were so far out from news of the world, that I didn't even know of the Moon landing until long afterwords. AFVN radio was mostly 60's and pop, so my little Sony TC-110 cassettecorder (mono) was a great little friend. The tunes we got were whatever the PX had in stock. The USO and clubs in the south had mostly CCR on reel to reels . learned to really appreciate Fogerty and group.
    Anyway, 1970 I took an R&R to Hong Kong. The mission was to meet as much of the local talent as I could.
    One evening I steeped down into a club , right off Humphreys in Kowloon, as was struck. The music sounded like CCR , but I had never heard the tunes before...Midnight Special , Cottonfields, Effigy....WOW....found the manager who showed me the cassette. From then on, I forgot the girls. The new mission was to find that tape. Fortunately for the local economy, I got one within a day." WILLIE & The Poor Boys"
    Took it back to the delta and I was crewman of the week. I also had the "magic patch cable -mini to mini" and we dubbed that tape for months. I think it was worn out by the time I came home.

Still a great album , always on the nano, now.

a wife can find more for you to do than a platoon of bosses

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    a wife can find more for you to do than a platoon of bosses
    Darned right !! Its always "could you tweak that sound stage, Dear ??" or " would you oil that cabinet veneer, Dear ??" or "time to clean those tape heads , Dear" or " could you turn up the volume, Dear?? " or .....???

i seem to remember "cant those things (l300) go somewhere else"?

Crime of the Century.

RIP 2009
    I think I got my first two at the same time - American Beauty and Workingman's Dead by the Grateful Dead.

John

DVORAK'S "NEW WORLD" SYMPHONY NO.9 IN E MINOR SZELL CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by northwood View Post
    DVORAK'S "NEW WORLD" SYMPHONY NO.9 IN E MINOR SZELL CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA
    How lucky you are!

I went to graduate school in Cleveland at Case Western Reserve University, right there in University Circle where Severance Hall is located. I heard the Cleveland Orchestra many times, but under Lorin Maazel. It is a wonderful music venue.

Did you get the Masterworks edition, recorded in Severance Hall? It is excellent.

I had the extreme pleasure of being on stage at Severance Hall in front of a full audience. That's where I received my diploma. I was very excited to be completing my graduate program, but all I could think about was the fantasy of standing there and playing my trumpet...what if it could happen?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Earth wind and Fire - Powerlight
    U2 - war
    Janet Jackson - Pleasure Principle

that's was enough variety to test speakers with. All the audio shops went to CD and none had any tape decks anymore.

Thread Information