Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Factors Affecting Sonic Quality of Mid & HF Horns & Waveguides

Wo!

Its on baby!

Lansing Heritage Forum in FULL EFFECT!

Jack, that is incredible stuff, keep it comin.

You guys, you amaze me, both Giskard and Jack Bouska, on one forum!

scottyj

DD66000 horn honk

I have just finished reverse engineering the DD66000 horn. It would be too arduous to present the equations here, but my results concerning the depth are as follows:

The adapter (= the part of the horn with horizontal, but no vertical flare) is 65 mm deep, and the lips (= the part of the horn with both horizontal and vertical flare) are 127 mm deep.

The DD66000 horn is thus a total of 192 mm (65 mm + 127 mm) deep on axis. Does that square with the measurements?

The cabinet in the drawing is 273 mm higher than the original. The extra height combined with extra depth provide each woofer with 227 liters (8 ft³) of net volume, whereas the original has a total of 270 liters (9.5 ft³) of net volume.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cepstral analysis

Cepstral analysis is also mentioned in my post here:
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...t=14122&page=7
    To be more specific, cepstral is mentioned in the reproduction of the review of the 1400 Array from HiFi News.

Comments form Earl

Several comments.

First, all would be advised to read my "Letter" to the editor of AudioXpress. It is posted at my website. It will put a few errors shown here in a better light.

Originally I did not post data above 10 kHz, because, as I said, I just don't see it as important. I do now and the data shows very clearly that there is not HF limit to the waveguide - only the compression driver. But I still contend that above 10 kHz has almost nothing to do with sound quality. Even for those who think that they can hear that high.

I have also posted in the past my issues over the Peavy design. Maybe those should be dredged up again.

And the data shown for the Adamson waveguides that I did is now almost 20 years old. Things have gotten a little better since then (significantly more than a little!!).

Modern compression drivers do not produce a flat wavefront at the throat and aren't designed to. This is because of an error in the very early work on phase plugs that has perpetuated to the current designs. You can read about this in my patent applications (just look them up).

Maybe someday I'll come back and read this thread more thoroughly. Seems interesting.

Thread Information