Thread: JBL 2265 NEO speaker pics

JBL 2265 NEO speaker pics

Hello
    If anyone is interested I thought I would post a few pictures of one of the newer JBL 15 inch speakers. I am reloading all of my 15 inch biamped two way stage floor monitors with the JBL 2265 NEO 15. At only 8 pounds per speaker it's going to make moving them around much easier than when they were loaded with the JBL 2225's. I replaced the JBL 2206's in all of my 12 inch biamped monitors a little over a year ago with the NEO 2262 JBL and my back is still thanking me. The 2265 is basically a NEO version of a 2226 that handles more power, has less power compression, dual voice differential voice coils and only weighs 8 pounds!

Mike Caldwell
    Attached Images Attached Images     

What is their depth versus 2226?

I would say the total frame depth is about 2 inches deeper. Some of the extra depth is due to the connection terminals being on the back. The connectors are on the back due to the voice coil leads coming from the inside of the voice coil instead of the the outside as most do. I have not wanted to tear one apart just to see exactly how it's done!!!!

Mike Caldwell

Just a quick question?

How do these compare sonicly with the drivers they replace?

MB
    Restoring the legend, one cabinet at a time

Hello
    In listening to the the 2265's I can tell no difference, but I have not
    heard them in actual use yet under higher power operation. My guess is that they will sound a little tighter and more controlled but the 2225's never sounded bad in the cabinets. When I changed out the 2206 for the 2262 speakers in my 12 inch monitors I felt there was a slight shift in the lower mid area. My monitors had a slight peak in the 400hz area that I needed to notch out and now with the 2262's it's more in the 300hz area. When I looked at my 12 inch monitors with SMARRT it also showed it. I'll have to take a look at my 15 inch monitors.

Mike Caldwell

The new Neo motor drivers use a 3" Dual Differential Motor Topology voice coil, rather than the traditional 4" voice coil.

There is a visible amount of stiffening of the cone apex due to more radiating cone area and looks to be loaded with more Kevlar fibers.

Yes... they weigh relatively nothing.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

The cone apex area is reinforced with more fiber, not really thicker
    but denser fiber content. The JBL 2226 had a cone revision at one point, the early 2226's had a uniform gray fiber in bedded cone and then they were changed to have a cone that looks like the 2265. I can't really put a date on the change over. I bought four 2226's practically the day they became available in the late 1980's and never had any cone issues. I had them reconed about 3 years ago not because they blew but the suspensions were getting tried and softer, I guess about 13 years of service was not too bad. After reconing they all matched the later 2226 speaker cones I have. During the cone revision they also went with heavier voice coil lead wires.
    The differential dual drive "push pull" voice coils is suppose to lower even harmonic distortion and it helps power handling and compression by spreading the voice coil out over a larger area helping keep it cool.
    The push / pull concept is kinda of the same theory as a compound isobaric load speaker cabinet where two speakers are placed face to face and wired out of phase with each other so they act as one speaker moving back and forth as one. They sum together acoustically in phase for the electrical input signal but any mechanical distortion generated by the speaker it self will be canceled out due to the mechanical distortion products still being out of phase with other, created from one speaker moving forward while the other moves back wards.
    Anyone feel free to elaborate or try to clear up my theoretical description!

Mike Caldwell

Too bad they're so pug ugly.

I wouldn't say ugly, just different. Sort of futuristic.
    Of course I just bought 4 2226H's... Shoulda,coulda.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

A black anodized finish would look very sexy but after it's in the cabinet who really cares.
    Here's the link to JBL's T/S paramerters pages that includes the 2265 and 2262 along with just about every JBL cone speaker.

Mike Caldwell

Full tech specs for 2265?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    A black anodized finish would look very sexy but after it's in the cabinet who really cares.
    Here's the link to JBL's T/S paramerters pages that includes the 2265 and 2262 along with just about every JBL cone speaker.

Mike Caldwell
    JBL's Thiele-Small data of 2008 has errors: the Le of the 2268 at zero excursion on their full specs and as measured on two specimens is 1.40mH, not the 1.85 listed. And boo to Samsung for deleting engineering data since the acquisition of Harman for many of their professional products - I won't specify without them?

Unless I missed it here, does anyone have full tech specs for the 15in neo 2265?

Quote Originally Posted by RCAguy View Post
    JBL's Thiele-Small data of 2008 has errors: the Le of the 2268 at zero excursion on their full specs and as measured on two specimens is 1.40mH, not the 1.85 listed. And boo to Samsung for deleting engineering data since the acquisition of Harman for many of their professional products - I won't specify without them?

Unless I missed it here, does anyone have full tech specs for the 15in neo 2265?
    The TH specs for the 2265H are on page 5 of the link to the PDF page.
    I still have that same PDF that I printed out in 2005 and the listed TH specs are the same on that one
    as the 2008 dated copy.

If your looking for the actual spec sheet on the speaker, I don't remember mine coming with them like the older model speakers did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    The TH specs for the 2265H are on page 5 of the link to the PDF page.
    I still have that same PDF that I printed out in 2005 and the listed TH specs are the same on that one
    as the 2008 dated copy.

If your looking for the actual spec sheet on the speaker, I don't remember mine coming with them like the older model speakers did.
    Thanks, Mike. But I don't quite understand "The TH specs for the 2265H are on page 5 of link to the PDF page." Where exactly is this? Are these the "full specs" as I've seen for the 2262 and 2268? I have two 2265Hs and want to know more about them. Thanks again.

https://jblpro.com/en-US/site_elemen...ve-transducers

and then pg 5 TS parameters:

Name:  TS JBL.png
Views: 1218
Size:  75.8 KB

Yours is not the first such query re 2265 engineering data.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    https://jblpro.com/en-US/site_elemen...ve-transducers

and then pg 5 TS parameters:

Name:  TS JBL.png
Views: 1218
Size:  75.8 KB

Yours is not the first such query re 2265 engineering data.
    Many thanks, Grumpy. At least "Techote33" has the sensitivity v distortion curves that speak volumes. I have the 2008 T\S spreadsheet, which as I've reported has disinformation.

Thread Information