Thread: 4350B's - Versenden nach Deutschland

4350B's - Versenden nach Deutschland

This has been a fun FORUM project and attached are some pics of the recently completed monitors.

Last year I finished the restoration of a badly beaten pair of 4350B's. I veneered them in Rosewood and called them The Rosie Sisters. Some of you guys will remember. I had no expectations of keeping them but I wanted to restore them anyway. Soon after completion I sold them to a friend in Colorado. I then received an email from a forum member in Germany asking if they were for sale; stating that he would like to buy them if they were. I sadly wrote him back and told him they were 2-3 weeks down the road to a new owner. After a few weeks of email conversation it was decided that I would scratch build him a pair of Rosewood 4350B's exactly like the originals that I restored. This was the first time I had agreed to specifically build a pair of JBL's for someone else. Prior to this I had always built for myself and only sold them when necessary to move on to something new.

The prospect of building a Vintage matched and correct pair of 4350B's is a real challenge. Most of the components are available but the 2231H woofs are extremely hard to locate, especially a quad set. None the less I moved on and started building the cabinets and putting out feelers for the components.

I called this a great Forum project because almost everything about it is related to our LH Forum. Built for a forum member, one pair of 2231H's from a guy in Oregon who knows the forum well, one 2231H from me and one 2231H from a forum member in NY. Two 2231H's reconed by a forum member in Ohio, 2202H pair from NY via ebay, 2240 and 2311 pairs from a JBL nut in Milwaukee, 2405's from a forum member in NY, 3107's from Florida via ebay, veneer from Oakwood Veneer and blue grille cloth from a forum member in CA, grille badges and foil cal from a forum member in Japan and all put together in the right geometric shape by a forum member. Guys - I've always felt that there are tremendous resources within our group of forum members and this project shows that to be true. I could have built them regardless but the task may well have taken two years instead of one.

I'm crating the new Rosies now and hope to have them in the shipper's hands early this coming week and in their new home a week after that. I will get a chance to hear them again when I visit the new owner for a few days in January. I think I'll take along an LP that should be suitable for the occasion - E. Power Biggs Plays Bach in the Thomas Kirche (I recall that the Thomas Kirche was Bach's Church in Leipzig). I'm not a big organ fan but I heard quite a few big pairs of JBL's demoed using this LP back in the mid 70's so I bought a copy. We should be able to shake some German windows loose from their mountings and let everyone in the neighborhood know that JBL is king.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images      

4350B's

pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    

RIP 2009
    Outstanding!!!

John

wow! its beautiful

"Versenden nach Deutschland"

Du hast eine großartige Arbeit geleistet!
    (perfekte Arbeit und umfassende Organisation )

Danke Peter - It appears you have said that "I completed a great project, perfect work and thorough organization". For that I thank you. My German is not good. I took two years of German language in school but who can remember back that far. I wish I would have continued. I still expect to have a great trip since there are so many in Germany that speak English.

Regards - Rick

Thumbs up

Rick

The WOW factor is unbelievable, the beauty is unmistakable, the quality is unbeatable, and the desire to have them is undeniable. Well, well, well done!

I am so envious...
    Out.

Rick, perfect translation!
    I still expect to have a great trip
    If I understand it right, there are thoughts to come to Germany. If you need a stop a bit north of Hamburg, you are invited.

Re: pic 42a

Man, it's gotta hurt to mount that base to the bottom of the cabinet,...I grimace just thinking about the poor guy drilling the screws into the cabinet after it looks that nice. I know,..gotta be done, but man, it looks pretty...

Quote Originally Posted by cvengr View Post
    Man, it's gotta hurt to mount that base to the bottom of the cabinet,...I grimace just thinking about the poor guy drilling the screws into the cabinet after it looks that nice. I know,..gotta be done, but man, it looks pretty...
    I agree - it's hard to punch those holes in that pretty veneer and I grimace every time I do it. But - that's the way JBL built them - removable base and eye-bolts to hang them. Luckily we can't see all that stuff when they're sitting there looking good.

I have done worse things. I restored a pair of 4343's for a friend and he insisted on having them mounted on a 3" high kick base. I had to drill screw holes into the bottom to mount the base. That was painful!!!

At thirty pounds, I think, heavier than 4345's, I wonder if they might benefit from an E shaped base like the '45's instead of a U shape. It sure makes using an appliance dolly easy.

I have read the E base is an integral part of the cabinet bracing in the 4345's.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Thread Information