Thread: 4301 Claritycap update

4301 Claritycap update

Just FYI, the claritycaps have broken in about 2 days around the clock....and I have still not tempered my enthusiasm. The old paper tweeters are silky smooth, over all the sound is just amazingly clearer, but very slightly warm.
    There is always that fine line between more detail and presence, and too bright/etched. These sound perfect so far. There is no tizz from the paper LE26 tweeters, and they sound like they go to 15-16K now, with cymbal shimmer and all. Before they sounded like they rolled off at 12K, with no "shimmer" in the top end. The bass and mids are night and day more transparent. In this system I am using SS electronics, Adcom 565 modded preamp, Adcom 545II modded power amp, old Audioquest type 4 cables, and PBJ interconnects. Standard fare for the early 90's....
    Eventually I will re cap my Dynaudio 3 way system....but it is quite a bit more involved than the simple 2 way 4301, and a bit more spendy, too.
    I have played around with this stuff enough to absolutely recommend these caps to ANY JBL system. There is a layer of grunge gone now, even with these old speakers. It would tend to take the edge off the titanium very well, without removing any of the great top end. I may even do my little 4406's in the office....these caps are cheap enough. The next step up, are sonnicaps, at twice the price roughly, so it's an easy choice....you won't be disappointed, especially with a more expensive system that has more advanced tweeters. Like the L100 JUST KIDDING!! Have fun.

Nice to read someone else has at least tried the Clarity caps (SA series) .

Thread Information