Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another LE15 querry

AMAZING I LOVE THEM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Hi Guenter,
    Those are definitely unusual woofers regardless of the impedance... since they only have LE15 printed on them, I am surprised they are not Blue in color... a very unusual set of woofers to be sure.
    Widget
    You're right widget, if these were plain LE15s they would have had blue frames. I also have not seen an LE15 with a serial number higher than 1372.

These started life as 8 ohm LE15As and originally did have the "A" printed after the LE15 and an "8" for the impedance. That's what is appropriate for serial number 14206. Besides the serial number this label also displays the condensed typeface of the "LINEAR EFFICIENCY" legend, the letters being tall and skinny. The earlier 16 ohm LE15s and LE15As had "LINEAR EFFICIENCY" letters that were almost as wide as they were tall.

Here's a progression of the LE15's evolving form,
    and the highest and lowest serial numbers I've seen of each:

LE15 rated at 16 ohms, cone marked LE15-111, blue frame
    serial number 1057 to 1372

LE15A rated at 16 ohms, cone marked LE15-111, blue frame
    serial number 2110 to 4424

LE15A rated at 16 ohms, cone marked LE15-111, gray frame
    serial number 6111 to 8371

LE15A rated at 8 ohms, cone marked 21315, gray frame
    serial number 9117 to 29149

LE15A rated at 8 ohms, cone marked ?, black frame
    serial number 33405 to 37363

LE15B rated at 6-8 ohms, cone marked ?, gray frame
    serial number 10294 to 20667
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    What do you know about their history?

David
    First let me say, Glen was right on the money! carefully inspecting all 4 drivers (consecutive serial #'s of course - probably confirming a 'special order') the drivers 'all' display fine scratching around the 6 in '16 ohm impedance'. Sure looks like they removed the '8' that was likely there initially. However, there appears to be 'no' similar scratching around the 'B' to indicate previous lettering.... note though that space was apparently left there in anticipation for something to be imprinted there... ie look at the left right balance wrt the foilcal. In all other pictures of the LE15 series the line is centered with or without additional lettering to LE15. The cone itself has 21513 printed on the reverse side (not 21518 as I thought earlier). Is it a fluke that Glen's have 21315 on the cone... ie '21 5 13' vs '21 3 15' ???

The history I'm only vaguely aware of. I'm 'guess-estimating' that they're from the early 60's. They originally came from a doctor in Toronto who clearly loved JBL's ... the good man got divorced and his Sovereigns (with matching equipment cabinet) remained with his wife. Appears he moved into an 'upscale' bachlor pad. (Aside, his wife used the Sovereigns as plant stands in the basement for 'many years' and then donated them to the Church for a Bazar sale when she was cleaning (selling) house. The doctor in his bachelor pad had limited space and consequently he had a S8R system with double woofers/passives custom build into a custom cabinet which in turn fit into his wall unit. The cabinet was only deep enough to accomodate the 375's (a foot or so) but must have been 6 ft x 5 ft or more otherwise.

The good doctor passed away and the speakers were used up in cottage country (Muskoga) for years and eventually ended up in the doughters basement as 'TV' speakers .... sounding awful of course since the Lansaloy had dried up and they were driven by a Radioshack 10W receiver. the cabinet is history and I've cleaned the drivers and am now wondering what to do with the woofers.... I do have a 4335 project on the go (my present home brew looks 'much' like Widgets) but seem to find precious little time to get on with it. Well, retirement is not 'that' far away

cheers and thanks all around for the truly great sleuthing

guenter

Thread Information