Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stop the L100 bashing

Quote Originally Posted by 150a/250ti
    My brother also has a set of L200,s they are in the same league as L100,s kind of loud and crappy.

jbl does and has always made an excellent sound reproducing speaker just not their cheaper ones.after all they have to sell enough speakers to enough people to make a profit or at least stay afloat
    whenever i see a turtle crossing the road i always stop, get out of my car and help it.

have you ever heard a 250ti or are you just parroting some crap you read here.not that they are the best jbl speaker ever made by a long shot.
    whenever i see a turtle crossing the road i always stop, get out of my car and help it.

have you ever heard a 250ti or are you just parroting some crap you read here.not that they are the best jbl speaker ever made by a long shot.
    I've heard them. Had a good two hour session too.

Why did you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    "All speakers are great"

No they are not. What tripe.

"why would they have engineered them and sold them in the first place if they never were good?"

I presume you like Bose, then?
    If someone likes their speakers, they are not crap to the person who likes them. If someone likes bose I am not going to tell them their speakers suck, but I might let them give mine a listen, and if they want to upgrade fine, if they like their bose, fine. Leave people be. Your kind of mentality will ruin this hobby.

Like I said, if anyone likes something, they don't like seeing people bash it.

BASHING

Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    Seems to me these audio threads are run by old geezers who could care less about passing on the audio heritage. All they care about is what they got and who has it or what can I do to make it better.
    I guess I heard it right before - this JBL forum only likes things that can be messed with, not the stuff that is too easy to understand. Peace.
    GEEZERS , that is...

Well yes, I'm a geezer and proud to have made it this far, Older than Alex and Storm COMBINED.

I started out with L100's. Thought they were the best in the world. Eventually grew out of them. Passed them on to my 24 yo son who loves them. Eventually he too will out grow them and maybe pass to his son

They are FUN speakers. Not really accurate. Neither are my L36's. Now using 4410's and those are sometimes TOO accurate. You can bash them if you'd like. Doesn't matter to me , I am the one who listens to them.

BUT, I did ask and took advise from Zilch and others before auditioning them. Those guys were correct.

The point I'm trying to make is that with experience comes knowledge. Unless you already have the knowledge , build on other peoples experiences. Dont reinvent the wheel.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    "All speakers are great"

No they are not. What tripe.

"why would they have engineered them and sold them in the first place if they never were good?"

I presume you like Bose, then?
    Mike - There is a difference between marketing and engineering. Like Alex said, if someone likes Boses leave them be. However, I clearly understand that bose is about marketing and not engineering.

I only use Altec Valencias and will until the day I die.

Let's educate...not bash others for what they have.

It's almost like the debate between a Chevy and a Jaguar. Is one better than the other, or does one offer the user a different ride? Same thing with speakers.

I rest my case.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer
    There are no egos larger than those of the ignorant; the more you learn, the more you realize there is to be learned, and the more humble you become.
    I love this line....

I love my L100s... they certainly sound better to me than any Bose system I have ever heard... and at $200-$400 a pair on the used market, they are quite a bargain, but there are so many other speakers that I'd rather listen to for any prolonged listening. With my L100s I miss the detailed mids, I miss the delicate shimmer that cymbals and other percussion instruments have, and then I also miss the really deep bass that some music has... but I have also experienced the grin on my face as that white cone was pulsing with '70s rock...

For anyone who feels they have reached audio nirvana with their L100s, that great. Getting militant about it isn't particularly conducive to polite conversation though.

Widget

My brother also has a set of L200,s they are in the same league as L100,s kind of loud and crappy.
    The "Quintessential R&R speaker," those big boys easily bury wimpy-weenie bookshelf L100s when it comes to that "sound."

Heads UP, L100 lovers!!

[And when you're finally TIRED of that, they're a great platform for building something that actually sounds good.... ]

... I clearly understand that (B)ose is about marketing and not engineering.
    That's not correct, nor fair. Bose involves a great deal of engineering, but is about a different approach.

Ask Widget to tell the joke about the day James B met Mr. Bose - it sums it ALL up...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I only use Altec Valencias and will until the day I die.
    Pfffttt.

You'll roll over in a minute for the next pair of Model 19s that come along.

You ain't foolin' NOBODY here....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I love this line....

I love my L100s... they certainly sound better to me than any Bose system I have ever heard... and at $200-$400 a pair on the used market, they are quite a bargain, but there are so many other speakers that I'd rather listen to for any prolonged listening. With my L100s I miss the detailed mids, I miss the delicate shimmer that cymbals and other percussion instruments have, and then I also miss the really deep bass that some music has... but I have also experienced the grin on my face as that white cone was pulsing with '70s rock...

For anyone who feels they have reached audio nirvana with their L100s, that great. Getting militant about it isn't particularly conducive to polite conversation though.

Widget
    I don't believe I got militant at all, I believe I conducted my request in a thoughtful and respectful manner. You being the administrator, I appreciate your input, but I am not trying to start anything. I just want other members to be curtious about what they say. Calling people's speakers crap is rude and arrogant.

I have not found audio nirvana, but like you said, the L100 system is a bargain at the price. That is why I use them, I cannot afford or have the space for giant horn loaded contraptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    You'll roll over in a minute for the next pair of Model 19s that come along.

You ain't foolin' NOBODY here....
    Nope, Zilch. But if I found them for cheap I would re-sell them. I love the valencias and it would be hard for me to part with them.

The debate between the M19's and the Valencias is another debate in itself.

If someone wanted to do a straight trade, I still would not do that.

I purchased an equalizer and it has helped tame the beast.

My dad owns a pair of L100s and uses them in his 7th floor condo in downtown phoenix. He loves them, but everytime I listen to them I just want to run home and turn on mine. They are nice speakers, but not the best.

The point I am trying to make is just like you guys telling me M19's are better, that is clearly an opinion.

If someone likes speakers and can live with them, leave them be. It's not like they are going to kidnap you, tie you to a chair and force you to listen to them for the rest of your natural life.

Let's just agree that every ear is different, just like taste in clothes, cars, food, etc.

We can inform that one is better than another, but lets not shove it down other's throats...and I sense sometimes that that is what people do on this forum. I certainly felt it when we had the thread about the M19's vs Valencias.

If you don't want to hear them, turn up the music and turn off the computer...simple.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkerhead
    Calling people's speakers crap is rude and arrogant.
    It's all opinion and fair game on this forum... if someone says that he owned LX99Bs and thought they were the worst speakers known to man, but you like them... so what. If you post a photo of your baby daughter and he says that the child looks like the creature from the black lagoon, that would be quite rude and uncalled for as well as probably wrong. (Well at least I would hope so.)

On to Bose... another type of horror. They really do quite a bit of engineering... their goals are tweaked in my opinion, but they have been very active in developing new technologies. JBL found out when they came out with their own TCBP enclosure and got sued for patent infringement by the boys from Boston.

Widget

Thread Information