Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stop the L100 bashing

Quote Originally Posted by alexkerhead
    This thread was not intended for debate.
    Unfortunately, the person starting the thread doesn't get to dictate the ensuing responses.

clmrt
    Edirol, anyone?

Alex -

You do realize the L100 is like a McDonalds Cheeseburger, right?

I don't blame people fo liking them. Hell, I eat the occasional cheeseburger from McD.

But to think there's no reason to look past them? I mean, once you taste a good filet...

Now if someone made a personal attack, that's one thing. But if one of these members voiced their opinion that the L100 is a sugar-coated mass-market boom-tizz mess that forever gave JBL a rep that is hard to shake, you simply have to accept it. Of course you can disagree by saying you like them, that they are your favorites, but remember, some of these guys may have had a hand in building some of the best systems on Earth...and it's more or less their place on the web - ain't AK over here.

Also, just read between the lines - many people here have L100's, and some are actually hooked up!

But notice also, many are not. Many are in the garage. That's where my L100-types wound up before I utterly got sick of them and moved on.

Enjoy them. Don't think we hate them, but when the kids throw a fit that we ain't going to McPukes for dinner...

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    WHEW! Well, it's all good then.

I'm most pleased to have assurance that it's not ME or anything I'VE written here recently what has incited your ire. [Don't wanna be a miscreant, nope, nope.... ]
    hey - be nice ...
    I've really got nothing against old cheap JBLs ...
    I bought a pair of L36 speakers back in the day - starving student days - I financed them (and a Yamaha CR400 receiver) L36s were $400 a pair new in 1976 - I sure couldn't justify $600 a pair for new L100s.

Played and loved those L36s for years - refoamed them 8 years ago and I still own them - tho they are not currently plugged in anywhere (house is too small).

Last year I found a set of big studio monitors for $300 a pair, tho I had to drive to Philly to get them ('bout 4 hrs each way). Thats not big money at all - but the sound really educated my ears - made me want more ... so I upgraded them and still have more plans to rework them further. I didn't even know about those speakers 'til I read the posts here by Zilch and Tom and a bunch of others here.
    Didn't know about reworking them 'til I read some of Zilch's posts here .. About 100s and 4320s - heck - just read this - http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/l100.htm

My point is - I didn't come in here as an authority - just as a fan ... I read stuff and searched the threads here and read more stuff - I am still amazed at the depth of stuff thats here - last week I read a very long series of posts about upgrading 4343/4344/4345 speakers - I don't GET all of that just yet - but some of it makes sense and with a bit more reading and experimenting I'll learn more.

The long point is - don't dis those older folks here - they really do know what they're talking about -
    everyone is NOT an equal here - some of these folks have been doing sound work for many years and have a HUGE knowledge base they share - heck, its a free site, you don't even hafta pay to learn!
    And if you don't like to learn, heck, you are free to LEAVE ...

Boom Boom Boom Boom
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

can you say........

Peter Piper picked a peck of pompous asses?

I have L100's, Love em they stayed "hooked up".

Alex, remember what I told you.

What's Pomposity

First, having knowledge based on experience does not automatically make one a "geezer," and sharing that knowledge with those willing to learn does not constitute pomposity. Those unwilling are, of course, free to disregard it. To dis that knowledge on the basis of no experience or limited experience, well now, that pretty much constitutes pomposity. There are no egos larger than those of the ignorant; the more you learn, the more you realize there is to be learned, and the more humble you become.

Lay off...
    Damn - I missed an L1 bashing session?

It's a real pity I've been so busy...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

First off let's tone this down. If you disagree that's fine say so. I don't want to see any name calling or anything else that questions another persons integrity or is insulting. This is a discussion about speakers, there is no reason to get heated about it. Agree to disagree and move on.

Rob

It is sad people can't just enjoy their stuff, they have to shove it down other people's throats.
    But, that is actually what you are doing, here.

Regardless, I've never understood the defensiveness of L owners - maybe it's because they need to be? I surely dunno...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    I guess I heard it right before - this JBL forum only likes things that can be messed with, not the stuff that is too easy to understand. What I mean is, the less it can be modified, the less respect it has among this community.
    That is completely wrong and a misrepresentation. Why try (or bother, even...) to characterise the entire forum with some potentially inflamatory rhetoric?

DIY stuff takes more time because it involves (re)engineering and (re)design. The DIY'ers are tweakers - a little more here, a little more there - they always come back for more.

So, while it may look disproportionate, there is equal devotion here to refurbishing any/all JBL's to new - it simply doesn't take so much discussion.

Once we Refurbishers get it done, we are simply happy.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Damn - I missed an L1 bashing session?

It's a real pity I've been so busy...

you know I've been wondering where you were while this tread was growing..

NOT, that you would every said ANYTHING against a L100

my brother has a pair of L100's, when he comes over to my place and listens to my 250ti's he always says there is something wrong with them because they don't have the bass of his L100's. he is obviously nuts and does not understand what he's saying or hearing.he likes to blast his L100s and watch the woofer almost bounce out the cabinet. meanwhile my 250ti put out a louder stronger deeper bass effortlessly.I would be realy pissed if the 250ti's did sound or act like L100's.not that there is anything wrong with likeing the L100 sound. It just doesn't realy reproduce the original sound as acuratly as a lot of other speakers.My 250ti,s are the better speaker, and almost anybody who knows anything about jbl's would agree.
    whenever i see a turtle crossing the road i always stop, get out of my car and help it.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    But, that is actually what you are doing, here.

Regardless, I've never understood the defensiveness of L owners - maybe it's because they need to be? I surely dunno...
    For instance.

"Your L100s suck, go get some 4350s."

That is shoving what you like in my face and cutting down what I own.

I only ask people carry themselves with dignity and not cut down other people's stuff.

But I know that is asking a lot, or at least it would be asking a lot to toddlers.

"Your L100s suck, go get some 4350s."
    Obviously an eBay'er trying to move some product...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 150a/250ti
    my brother has a pair of L100's, when he comes over to my place and listens to my 250ti's he always says there is something wrong with them because they don't have the bass of his L100's. he is obviously nuts and does not understand what he's saying or hearing.he likes to blast his L100s and watch the woofer almost bounce out the cabinet. meanwhile my 250ti put out a louder stronger deeper bass effortlessly.I would be realy pissed if the 250ti's did sound or act like L100's.not that there is anything wrong with likeing the L100 sound. It just doesn't realy reproduce the original sound as acuratly as a lot of other speakers.My 250ti,s are the better speaker, and almost anybody who knows anything about jbl's would agree.
    JBL has never had a reputation for accurate sound reproduction.

My brother also has a set of L200,s they are in the same league as L100,s kind of loud and crappy.
    whenever i see a turtle crossing the road i always stop, get out of my car and help it.

Thread Information