Thread: L36s falling apart in the UK - what to do?

Formula400

L36s falling apart in the UK - what to do?

Hi, my name is Geoff and I come from England. I've been browsing this great forum and am now posting to seek help. I bought a new pair of JBL L36s in Florida when I was working there in the mid '70s. (5 years of heaven!).
    They haven't had a lot of use over the past few years but have always sounded good. Recently I noticed that they didn't sound right in a new surround set-up. I investigated and found the following:
    Bass is OK on both speakers, despite the foam falling apart. Both need a re-foam.
    On one speaker, neither the mid or tweeter were producing any sound. On both the drivers the push on connections on the 'live' side were corroded. I removed the units from the enclosure and measured across them in situ; I saw a high resistance. I carefully removed the connections to the mid and tweeter and removed the corrosion on the terminals. Both units measured open circuit (not the expected 8 ohm). Physically, both drivers look fine.
    On the other speaker, from listening, I believe the tweeter may also be open circuit. The mid is OK.

So, after the symptoms - my questions:
    I'm sure the speakers haven't been mis-used, electrically or mechanically, so is it unusual for 30 year old drivers to go open circuit? Are they repairable? As I imagine that new replacement drivers are expensive, are used drivers (LE25-4 and LE56 (I think)) readily available?
    Do you have any recommendations on whose re-foam kit to use?
    Do you have any advice on who to contact in the UK?

My opportunities to refurbish these speakers in the UK may be limited, because I don't think JBL sold in large numbers over here. That would be a shame, because I do like the sound of these speakers in proper working condition.
    I appreciate any help you can give me.

Geoff
    still missing that Florida sunshine.

olympus
    hi geoff,im in epsom,quite close to you.try mike at acoustic on 020 8579 2872. phone is often busy but keep trying! cheers!

Thread Information