Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian Pink Floyd Show

Thumbs up Australian Pink Floyd Show

Scored some tickets from a long time business friend via PBS to go LA's Greek Theater last night to see the Australian Pink Floyd Show.

http://www.greektheatrela.com/

http://www.aussiefloyd.com/

The traffic was the usual bitch, well worse than usual actually, and getting in was a hassle, since the employees all seemed to have dropped out of grade school to attend IADU (I'm A Dick University) or its sister institution IABU.

As a result, we missed the first two songs of the Dark Side of the Moon Set and had to enter the outdoor ampitheater in the effing dark. We miraculously found our seats and settled in for the rest of the show. Despite a horde of "NO SMOKING" signs and being in LA, there were tons of assholes smoking, and none of the IADU/IABU grads were doing anything about it.

Finally the fags gave way to joints and the sweet smell of pot replaced the acrid smoke of tobacco, and things improved immensely. It was by every measure a spectacular show. The musicians were first-rate and the lights and props were first rate. The guitar work was breathtaking, and the bassist was very, very talented. Drums, keyboard, and back up singers were quite good, too. (David Gilmour had these blokes play for this 50th birthday, BTW. http://www.jambase.com/search.asp?ba...41&display=bio )

By the end, I was singing, howling, and gesticulating like the rest of the madmen and madwomen, most in their 40s and 50s and acting like 20. This was one top drawer show.

As they, say, if you get the chance...

These guys will be touring the US over the next couple of months. Catch 'em if you can.
    Out.

Thumbs up About the sound

This deserves a separate post because it brings forward a point I'd like to make. I know there are many fans of the old JBL Professional gear and proponents of the older monitors who like to point out that the old stuff just can't be matched.

In a certain sense that's true, in that it's a pretty unique sound, and JBL is not really interested in or trying to recreate it today. For all those who love it, cherish it, and pursue it, I say good on you. I'm glad you like it, and I'm pleased that it brings so much satisfaction and pleasure. In many important ways, the old JBL is the sound of the live venue, and I'd never argue with that.

Last night was one of the best, if not THE best sounding live musical experience I've ever had. It was loud, powerful, chest punching, and dynamic. There was not a hint of break up, beaming, distortion, or fatigue. Every vocal was clear, every solo was clean, every note was distinct--it was simply amazing.

Even my GF, who often complains at home about "too loud" or "too noisy," had nothing but praise for the sound system. Her comment: "Its very loud, but also very clear, and it doesn't hurt." She spoke this to me during the show. Amazing.

From my seat in the 33rd row, I squinted at the speaker arrays. Darn if they didn't look like JBL Vertec® Arrays. Looked like about 40–50 altogether. I told her, "JBL Vertec®s I think." She looked at me like the idiot I was for bringing it up.

Kudos to the sound guys and to JBL for delivering the best outdoor show I've ever heard in 38 years of attending live outdoor concerts. I later checked out the Web and got this tidbit:

http://www.greektheatrela.com/about_...Act=view&ID=47

So it was Vertec® Arrays after all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

JBL - Live

When the Rolling Stone toured in Europe 1998 (Bridges To Babylon) I saw them in Hannover. Top left and right of the stage there was a cluster of 48 speakers each. (At the bottom there were some horns I suppose.)
    It must have been JBL, because I did not know who else could have delivered such a arrangement in this specific appearance.

The sound was great, the only snag was when the wind blew off some higher tones in a slight way. I was just in free air and not in a living room.

I saw the Australian Pink Floyd concert on PBS and it was MOST EXCELLENT!

If and when it comes on again, it is not to be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    I saw the Australian Pink Floyd concert on PBS and it was MOST EXCELLENT!

If and when it comes on again, it is not to be missed.
    The live show will be in Anaheim on Oct. 31 at The Grove.
    Out.

Darn if they didn't look like JBL Vertec® Arrays.
    Hello T Dome

The last couple of shows I have seen have used the Vertecs and they were both excellent. One was outdoors at Jones Beach the other indoors in a mid sized club. The mid sized club used the midsized version and the outdoor show used the TOTL. Same impresion it was loud but you could still talk, the clarity was amazing and the bass was truely impessive especially with the outdoor show where the stage had at least 6 of the bass bins. Nice to actually hear the sound at shows actually getting better and the dB's going down.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    The live show will be in Anaheim on Oct. 31 at The Grove.
    That sounds like it was a great show!

I checked their schedule but they are not coming to the DC area - we don't get ANY of the good stuff ...no Australian Pink Floyd stuff for us!

http://www.aussiefloyd.com/
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

They are coming to Phoenix November 1st and I am thinking about going.

Tickets still available and a bunch on eBay. Not sure if I want to spend the cash to go. Wish the real Floyd was coming, .

Do you guys think I should spend the money and go?

Do you know any geezers? AARP might have access to some reasonably-priced tickets, like Todd got for Elton John....

OK, you talked me into it. Got a pair of front row seats with tickets to be delivered here by noon tommorow. Not bad either... $155/pair with handling and overnight by noon delivery.

Guess you don't need to be a geezer to see these guys.

Kids (and the house) will have to fend for themselves and I'm gonna have lots of candy lying around!

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Do you know any geezers? AARP might have some reasonably-priced tickets, like Todd got for Elton John....
    Wow Zilch, you are way too funny for this forum - you should be a comedian!

Why do you care to reply to every comment I make? Do you have anything better to do?

I actually do know old geezers, but this show does not have any discounts.

Hey Zilch! - Relax...take a chill pill...turn up the music...and SHUT UP!

Peace.

Do you know any geezers? AARP might have some reasonably-priced tickets, like Todd got for Elton John....
    Ah - I keep turning down AARP when they send me their junkmail signup forms - I am not happy with their buy-in promoting Bush's Medicare drug bill and don't want to fund them until I have to!

No lobbyists from Porter Novelli seeking ME out with gift$- sigh ..
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Do you know any geezers? AARP might have access to some reasonably-priced tickets, like Todd got for Elton John....
    The whole Elton John show was just for AARP held at the AARP convention and all of the seats were that price. This wasn't just an AARP discount at a regular concert.

Elton is a member of AARP, as is Robin Williams and sometimes they, and others, do these kinds of shows.

I don't necessarily buy into AARP politics, but in the long run, the savings of joining AARP far outweigh the crud.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    They are coming to Phoenix November 1st and I am thinking about going.

Tickets still available and a bunch on eBay. Not sure if I want to spend the cash to go. Wish the real Floyd was coming, .

Do you guys think I should spend the money and go?
    I don't think you'll see the real Pink Floyd anytime soon, if ever. Most of those bridges seem permanently burned. I think the APFS is about as good as it'll get.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    I don't think you'll see the real Pink Floyd anytime soon, if ever. Most of those bridges seem permanently burned. I think the APFS is about as good as it'll get.
    Saw the "REAL" group back when they did the "Wish You Were Here" tour (1975).

Thread Information