Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dipoles with a Direct twist

here's a pic of an S4A to show what I was talking about "dippersion box"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JBL The Competition

Here's a schematic of the mid range polarity switch, only mid range driver B is changing polarity for both direct mode and bipole mode sence it does the same thing for both modes I added 2 diodes to prevent undesired switching of the tweeter section.

Not sure if the .65 volts drop is going to be a problem for the 12 volt reallys
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JBL The Competition

been some time sence I've visited, but there has been progress have recently recieved the horns and the 3/4" birch hard wood is in the wood shop as we speak whats left is to:

-pick the 8inch driver/ order it
    -waiting for the 5 1/4" drivers
    -waiting for the 1"titanium dome tweeters
    -order compenets for the x-over's
    JBL The Competition

O.K., I have a bit of additional knowledge to share, though I forget now where I read it:

Dipole is for use in smaller rooms, where the full-blown THX surround scheme cannot be implemented. The reference was from several years ago, and there was not agreement whether the scheme was adequate.

In dipole mode, the forward and rearward firing pairs are connected out-of-phase with each other, so that sound eminating perpendicular to the side wall is cancelled; there's no direct radiation to the audience. Instead, it's intended to be reflected from the front and rear walls to create the surround "ambience."

Edit: See Figure 4. and related discussion here:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/tn_v3n03.pdf

Zilch your right on the money which is why it is a great choice when in my situation given were your sittining the listening position is close(r) to the surround speaker(s) and is noitceable were the sound direction is coming from when using direct radiating speakers. So I plan to solve it with dipole speakers and wish to incoperate A direct radiating mode for when I'am the single person watching a movie in the sweet spot.
    JBL The Competition

Go here for worthwhile infromation on dipoles.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com

JBL 4645
    The outer-phase fires towards the back of the room while the in-phase fires forwards.

I was going to post a slightly long comment on this issue, but its all politics about direct VS dipolar or bipolar.

JBL 4645 speak your mind, as there is no one stop place for information other then genral operation of this araingment of speakers and some personal thoughts about them couldn't hurt either as long as it doesn't to into a flaming argument that is
    JBL The Competition

Thread Information