Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer SX-1250

Oh my ... Ever heard the Marantz 512?

I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkerhead
    You actually turned the volume all the way up on a set of L100s on 200watts?
    I call BS.
    You'd blow that L100 with a solid 200 watts in a heartbeat.
    The voice coils simply CANNOT take 200watts.

I also don't believe you have owned a sx-1250, or else you would not have gotten rid of it. If you did, there was something wrong with it.

The only totl receivers I have seen that will blow under 4ohms are the suffixed DB sansui totls and the yamaha r-1000/r-2000.

My L100s cannot take but a little over half the volume this 1250 puts out before the woofers are bottoming. I found that out the hard way when I bumped the volume on accident.
    Also, the 1250 will shut off the speaker relay when too much resistance is present, just so you know, you would have known that if you owned one.

Thanks for the info zilch, but since the L100s wont take full wattage at any volume, there is no risk of blowing the unit.

pocketchange

Mouser Caps ?

Alexkerhead,
    Why did you decide to use these?
    pc

Alex , I share your appreciation of

large , blue dial , silver face receivers. From my non=tech experience, the big Pioneer will certainly handle 4 L100's. These receivers, tho not "high end" , are still very well engineered and yours was from Pioneers golden years.

Look at their speakers and electronics from the last 15 years and the reaction is "YUCKY".

There is a website dedicated to receivers only, and they wont even discuss any later than 1990.
    The position is that the black plastic stuff is a step down or two.(or 3)

Got no remote, but plenty good sounds......

regards
    TOM
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I had 2 pairs of L-65s hooked up to my Pioneer SX-1250 back in the late 70s. More recently I had a pair of L-300s as well as a pair of conrol 5s going at the same time (Out in the garage) at the same time. Mine had been completely gone through and never tripped the protective circuitry. It's a great value at that price. Mine was not blue faced.

Allow me to clairfy:

A pair of L100s is a load of less than 3 Ohms through a major portion of the LF range, dropping as low as 2.67 ohms, substantially as spkman57 advises above. That's specialized car amp and rare pro amp territory.

L100s don't seem to have an Xmax problem at 200 watts until below 27.75 Hz. Low bass EQ could easily get one into this territory at much lower overall power input levels. Nobody's advocating playing L100s at 200 W.

And now, because I consider myself entitled by investment, my opinion regarding this:

1) It's all, well..., "adolescent," to be kind, in the eyes of anyone pursuing excellence here.

2) It most certainly sounds dreadful.

3) Further, I have a bigger subwoofer than any of you....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    2) It most certainly sounds like crap.
    What the hell are you smoking?

What the hell are you smoking?
    Apparently not the same thing you are smoking.

Hey GUYS - let everyone be to their own opinions. Zilch, back off!

Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    Hey GUYS - let everyone be to their own opinions. Zilch, back off!
    Me too, ME too!!!

[At least I clearly identify them as such....]

At least I clearly state them as such....
    No, you didn't.
    You posted several result graphs generated by software you used with no opinion, and then when I made a logical assumption, you stated what I am doing is "adolescent" and my stuff sounds like "crap"
    Even when you have never heard my setup, or much less had a similar setup yourself.

Get a life jerk, you lost my respect.

Edit: zilch is on my ignore list now, so no worries, I can't see his posts.

You posted several result graphs generated by software you used with no opinion....
    WRONG, again, Alex.

At 1:36:17 this morning, I went and actually MEASURED a 123A-1's impedance to bring some potentially illuminating FACTS to this discussion, which you ignored and/or misinterpreted.

See also:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...946#post122946

Now, apparently, you are also an expert on cabinet refinishing:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...326#post131326

Do you believe for even a millisecond that you have ANY standing (see below) to advise on that subject in Technical Help, in the context of the expert work and experience of others (riessen, audiobeer, more...) here?

I WAS looking forward to you posting something that was actually correct in these forums.

Ain't gonna happen, obviously....

http://www.ubertechworld.com/images/alex.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by pocketchange
    Alexkerhead,
    Why did you decide to use these?
    pc
    Computer grade capacitors are very high quality and should keep from degrading the sound. I believe they may even be better than the stock caps.

Posting this to bypass the Ignore filter -
    Dang Alex - Zilch has a test bench and has post MANY MANY significant, informed charts and postings here based on ACTUAL TECHNICAL Testing - not just some ... "hmhmhmhmhmh danged L100s sound real hawt with that danged classic Pioneer sauce ..."

No offense man, but - you are a newby here compared to many of the folks here who have posted regular, repeatable, informed knowledge in this forum. Folks who have thousands of dollars of scopes, sig gens and test gear - they really do know what they are talking about.

L100s are nice speakers - but - read your history - it was a mass market speaker that had a big appeal in the college crowd mainly due to the bass boom it produced. It was NOT accurate, just popular. Boom boxes! Its well known info.

If you like em, thats great - lots of folks do - but they are not the be-all, end-all of JBL speakers, and, relative to many of the more high end speakers these folks are used to (L300s and the 4343/44/45 series), they indeed are crap. Just most folks are too nice to say so ...
    And thats just comparing a few of the tons-better speakers from that era.

So - mind your manners and give Zilch some credit, hmm?
    I don't want to hear about another one of the knowledgable folks here driven off by some overenthusiastic newcomer who thinks 100 or so posts and a few pairs of speakers makes him an authority.

READ a bit of the posts here and learn a lot!

WRONG, again, Alex.

At 1:36:17 this morning, I went and actually measured a 123A-1's impedance to bring some potentially illuminating FACTS to this discussion, which you ignored and/or misinterpreted.

See also:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...946#post122946

Now, apparently, you are also an expert on cabinet refinishing:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...326#post131326

Do you believe you have ANY standing (see below) to advise on that, in the context of the expert work and experience of others (riessen, audiobeer, more...) here?

I WAS looking forward to you posting something that was actually correct in these forums.

Ain't gonna happen, apparently....

http://www.ubertechworld.com/images/alex.jpg
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thanks, Heather.

Alex:

I own L100s, study them, test them, think about them, try stuff to improve them.

Not bashing L100, but I found this post apropos:

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt
    The L100 is like some DIY'er just throwing drivers in a cab, capping them for a simple XO, and potting the MF/HF. Simple, fast and easy.
    This thread tells the tale of L100 bass:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=9463

The facts about the rest of it are easily accessible to anyone willing to do the requisite "Search" in these forums....

Zilch has always brought quite a bit to thye table. He's a good guy believe me. The L100s are great Rock speakers, not very versatile however. They filled a nice niche in the market at the time. The SX-1250 was a great workhorse for driving them in thier day. I know a lot about the SX-1250 via many trial and error sessions......trying to bring back that sound I heard in my early 20s. I purchased several SX-1250s on Ebay and through the usual outlets on the internet. I never could quite recover the slam that I recalled. The SX-1250 at that point became an obsession and I shipped it off along with several other items in the past 5 years such as a Marantz 2270, and a Sansui AU-919. All three of them were gone through and had all tyhe Caps replaced as well as matching output transformers. All pots were replaced and everything was biased and brought back to better than specs. Unfortunately they never came back to what I remembered. They never had the bass slam they used to or the sound that I remembered them as having in thier original state. Further more they didn't have the same sound they had more recently prior to the upgrades. Was it because my listening capabilities changed? I think that had a lot to do with it although I don't like to admit it. When you change the parts you change the sum. I love bringing items back from the dead or dying but the truth is it's not financialy smart nor is it the best bang for the buck.....but it is very enjoyable. Bottom line is if you can get a SX-1250 that is complete, functioning as intended, and stock......well that's a steal and enjoy it. It will absolutely drive 2 pairs of speakers such as the 1250s for a good long listening period although as Rolf said it was not intended to. Switching off one pair for background listening is a very wise suggestion. Everyone who has responded has done so correctly and with the best imformation they have available for you. Not trying to sound like an ass but the L-100s have always been respected as a great marketing success for JBL and not much more than that. It's like seeing a great 27" CRT tv, then you get a great 56" HD DLP. the 27" don't look so good. No one will question your personal apprectiation for the L-100s. But please don't be offended by snide remarks about the L-100s (27" crt).

Edit: zilch is on my ignore list now, so no worries, I can't see his posts.
    Not to flame you , Alex, but the above action is like shooting yourself in the foot (IMHO)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information