Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pioneer SX-1250

There's considerable forum history to this, for those who've never read it:

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    For the best and most amusing readings ever on the L100 search for Bo's ultimately triumphant L100 basher thread where he nearly got seared by the Hoards after being dunked then plucked masterfully by Macka and Don's billiant follow-up on the L100's history in the making...the full Monty...probably the best post on the Forums to date.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=1286

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=1389

Quote Originally Posted by hjames
    Posting this to bypass the Ignore filter -
    Dang Alex - Zilch has a test bench and has post MANY MANY significant, informed charts and postings here based on ACTUAL TECHNICAL Testing - not just some ... "hmhmhmhmhmh danged L100s sound real hawt with that danged classic Pioneer sauce ..."

No offense man, but - you are a newby here compared to many of the folks here who have posted regular, repeatable, informed knowledge in this forum. Folks who have thousands of dollars of scopes, sig gens and test gear - they really do know what they are talking about.

L100s are nice speakers - but - read your history - it was a mass market speaker that had a big appeal in the college crowd mainly due to the bass boom it produced. It was NOT accurate, just popular. Boom boxes! Its well known info.

If you like em, thats great - lots of folks do - but they are not the be-all, end-all of JBL speakers, and, relative to many of the more high end speakers these folks are used to (L300s and the 4343/44/45 series), they indeed are crap. Just most folks are too nice to say so ...
    And thats just comparing a few of the tons-better speakers from that era.

So - mind your manners and give Zilch some credit, hmm?
    I don't wanto to hear about another one of the knowledgable folks here driven off by some overenthusiastic newcomer who thinks 100 or so posts and a few pairs of speakers makes him an authority.

READ a bit of the posts here and learn a lot!
    I have been curtious and respectful on these boards and prefer not to have my stuff I spent so much money on called crap, can you appreciate that?

Lets see, I spent $225 on the receiver, $200 for my first set of L100, and $150 for my second set. $575, that is a lot of money when you are my age getting through college.

I don't think I am an autority, and I certainly never thought my stereo was the end all be all, but the fact remains, I could be using some bose 301s and a sansui g-3000, which is a much worse combination than what I have.

I know all about the history of the L100, I have read most of the material on this entire website pertaining to the forementioned and other history.
    If I disagree with what "experts" and rich folks say, that is my prerogative.

Amount of posts only means I haven't been a member of this board as long as zilch.

Ya know what my dream system is?
    Paragon on Marantz tube monoblocks.
    I don't prefer bassy systems, trust me on that one.

I owned a set of Cerwin Vegas, now those are some boomy and bassy speakers.

I use an equalizer to compensate for the rolloff on the high frequencies, zilch even helped me with that, of which I am glad, but it doesn't give him the right to call my stuff crap.

Nobody else on this board goes around calling other member's stuff crap, as far as I have seen.

I would love a set of L300s, I just cannot afford them, I wish people would take that into consideration.
    I would even like a set of L65s, but I just cannot afford them. Too many people with too much money are collecting them and never using them, but since they have too much money, they end up buying them, instead of the poor guy like me who cannot compete with big money.

Seriously, give this some serious thought everyone before you go around hating on people's stuff.

I am not an admin, but..........

this seems like a nice place to close off this thread ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Look again.

I didn't call anything crap.

I just want you to stop insulting those who have invested the requisite effort to actually KNOW what they're posting about here with your gratuitous blather....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Look again.

I didn't call anything crap.

I just want you to stop insulting those who have invested the requisite effort to actually KNOW what they're posting about here with your gratuitous blather....
    I decided to remove you from my ignore list for one reason, you do offer great information, but you did imply my stuff sounds like crap, which is saying it is crap. Only crap can sound like crap.

2) It most certainly sounds like crap.
    Some people are touchy with their expensive stuff.
    Although I know you have excessive cash to spend, I don't.

I second that...

My TWO Cents, but I wish I had more than that.

First of all, I am 22 and am still going through college and learning the ropes just like Alex.

I am fortunate to have a hobby - selling on eBay - that allows me to purchase the speakers I do have, Altec 846U's.

I agree with Alex - he could have bose or worse, give him credit where credit is due.

Zilch, I think sometimes your posts are only done so you can increase your post count.

BTW - how old are you Zilch? I am only asking so I can understand where you are coming from - the angle.

You older audio crowd should be happy that guys like Alex and I are finding this vintage hobby and prolonging the life of these vintage relics. We could easily have gotten into the shit that is mass produced nowadays.

Unlike Alex, I feel my ultimate system is complete. I am very fortunate - and yes, I wish some of these people with money would let some of us less fortunate to be able to afford such things, but that is life.

So, all in all...I am fortunate for Zilch, but at times Zilch - you get agressive and very rude. What the frick is the [....] at the end of almost every single post you write? - Those are incredibly annoying.

This is a great place to learn, but when people tell others what they think they should own and what should sound good, that is where it draws the line. Graphs are nice, but the human ear is a better measurement - everyone can agree on that.

Yes, I am sure graphs are informative, but why do you guys post so many? Just let your ears do the measuring....

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkerhead
    I decided to remove you from my ignore list for one reason, you do offer great information, but you did imply my stuff sounds like crap, which is saying it is crap. Only crap can sound like crap.
    Fine. I just changed it....

Fine. I just changed it....
    Also, I just noticed you posted my image on here, wow, that is really mature.

You also posted a pic of my project L100s(before baffle paint and new ports), thanks, I am quite happy with the way they turned out.

Now, apparently, you are also an expert on cabinet refinishing:

Do you believe for even a millisecond that you have ANY standing (see below) to advise on that subject in Technical Help, in the context of the expert work and experience of others (riessen, audiobeer, more...) here?

I WAS looking forward to you posting something that was actually correct in these forums.

Ain't gonna happen, obviously....
    I didn't see them respond to the thread, I always welcome correction to anything I type.

I do know how to veneer and refinish, many people do.

Feel free to jump in on that thread and correct me please.

It's not good enough we're discussing this via PM? You want to do this in public?

Fine with me:

YOU posted those here. It's not MY problem they're now an embarassment to you....

YOU posted those here. It's not MY problem they're now an embarassment to you....
    Explain, how are they embarassing?

I just closed this thread. If the 2 of you have an issue take it off line.

Rob

------

Yea, and I agree with Rob.

Let me double-close asking this - why do you CARE whether someone likes your stuff, or not? :dont-know

bo

Thread Information