Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What have you done with your records??

Music has a timeless quality to it, and nothing preserves it better than vinyl.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

In this iPod Age, vinyl is critical for keeping the audiophile heritage alive. Nothing says high end like vinyl, and I'd much rather take it with me into the street as a fashion accessory than a stinking iPod.

Vinyl and holidays go hand in hand for us old timers. "White Christmas," "Frosty the Snowman," "The Messiah," Deck the Halls," all were better on vinyl. Now I have vinyl featured throughout the Season right on my tree for all the see. "Deck the Halls" with holiday vinyl, I say.

Some oil paints, your grandkids, and an oven can make a vinyl album into a treasured holiday heirloom, keeping the vinyl heritage alive from generation to generation.

The stanton 681 and the shure v-15 are very different cartridges, I would not compare them at all. The 681 tracks very heavy and is designed to take DJ abuse. The V-15 can track 60cm/sec and that was never surpassed to my knowledge. It was the best tracking cartridge made, and it tracked the 1812 as well.

Beyond the heretic hype and mystic mayham, there is serious engineering in that cartridge.

http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/public/@gms_gmi_web_ug/documents/web_resource/us_pro_V15V_ug_27A1658(BE).pdf

The V-15 is considered a reference cartridge. Entire websites are dedicated to flamewars over one cartridge or the other, with different sides throwing mud on each other's favorite. The V-15 is a legend, I paid a premium 2 years ago for mine since they were discontinued and feel lucky to have one. I desired a V-15 since I was in high school and it took me 20 years to get around to buying one.

Even the best setup sounds bad and tracks poorly unless properly aligned. I check my setup every once in a while for static pressure, actual tracking force, antiskate, and of course overhang and alignment.

Record playing is tedious but in this instant on, gotta have it world, there is something serene about pulling a record from the shelf, cleaning it, playing it and appreciating every minute of it. The best part of all is not having to deal with any digital rights management, I bought it, I own it, I play it, and now one knows or charges me for the privlege.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    The Telarc 1812 Overture LP is indeed a severe tracking test for cartridges. The cannon shots are so abrupt and explosive that it is hard to tell by ear if any mistracking is taking place (unless it throws the needle across the room, of course).

I remember reading in a high end mag years ago that someone had looked at the cannon shot grooves with a microscope and determined that the cutterhead had maxed out and clipped some of the biggest signals. Still, the recording sounds pretty good to me.

The direct to disc recordings issued by Crystal Clear titled "The Fox Touch" volumes 1 and 2 also contain some of the strongest low frequencies captured on LP. These pipe organ performances by Virgil Fox, mastered on site by Stan Ricker, feature extreme shuddering pedal fundamentals and sound very clean to me when using a Denon DL-103 cartridge.
    As far as I have been told there are NO cartridge that are able to reproduce the canons on the 1812 and the Fox touch without a lot of coloration. Most cartridges will almost "jump off" the record.

I had these records for some years ago, using a very expensive cartridge with some of the best compliance, looking at the needle through a magnifying glass when it enter the almost square cuttings on the record, and there is NO WAY this could have been reproduced accurately.

On a CD, witch i got for 1812 this is no problem, and on this you really got the feeling standing beside a cannon.

BEWARE: play it to loud an your amp and speakers will sound no more.

hello

i love the cannons ( acoustic ! ).

regards
    juergen

Woohoo!
    The Telarc CD of this Kunzel recording is available used for under $2.00 at Amazon (under 4.50 shipped!)!
    I've got other versions already but - BANG - thats a done deal!

Awesome - I loves me some cannons on big wooooofers!

(gonna move that kitty!)

Quote Originally Posted by rs237 View Post
    hello

i love the cannons ( acoustic ! ).

regards
    juergen
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by duaneage View Post
    Record playing is tedious but in this instant on, gotta have it world, there is something serene about pulling a record from the shelf, cleaning it, playing it and appreciating every minute of it. The best part of all is not having to deal with any digital rights management, I bought it, I own it, I play it, and now one knows or charges me for the privlege.
    Amen

Count my vote for the AudioTechnica OC9. It's a beautiful sounding low (mid really) output moving coil that's still in production. Check www.needledoctor.com for this and other current cartridges. I've been a customer of his for some time and he has some great suggestions for cartridges.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    Amen

Count my vote for the AudioTechnica OC9. It's a beautiful sounding low (mid really) output moving coil that's still in production. Check www.needledoctor.com for this and other current cartridges. I've been a customer of his for some time and he has some great suggestions for cartridges.

jblnut
    The OC9 is another underated gem of a cartridge, great tracking and excellent frequency balance. I had a Audio Technica LS400 for a long time and I liked it. THe channel separation was 31 db at 10Khz and if needles were still available I would have another headshell with it mounted. Speaking of headshells, anyone know where i can get one for my Denon DP-37F? I think all Denon's were the same back in the 80's.

Bravo, Rolf!
    The Telarc CD arrived today and we put it on HK CD changer, through the HK receiver, the 552 crossover and all that biamp JBL stuff (but no amp for the 380 subwoofer currently). 2 channel analog stereo mode.
    I let it run at the 16dB down setting - Whaaahoo!

Glorious cannon shots, to be sure - thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    ... On a CD, which i got for 1812 this is no problem, and on this you really got the feeling standing beside a cannon.

BEWARE: play it too loud an your amp, and speakers will sound no more.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    As far as I have been told there are NO cartridge that are able to reproduce the canons on the 1812 and the Fox touch without a lot of coloration. Most cartridges will almost "jump off" the record.

I had these records for some years ago, using a very expensive cartridge with some of the best compliance, looking at the needle through a magnifying glass when it enter the almost square cuttings on the record, and there is NO WAY this could have been reproduced accurately.

On a CD, witch i got for 1812 this is no problem, and on this you really got the feeling standing beside a cannon.

BEWARE: play it to loud an your amp and speakers will sound no more.
    The Shure V15 Type III, IV cartridges will play the canons with no problem. I can't say the same for Pickering.
    Vinyl recording is still better than the cd. But how many have heard the SACD version of the 1812? Now that is far superior to cd.

My EMT Player with TSD15 cartridges will play the canons with no problem.
    I am also the opinion that the Vinylaufname sound better than the CD. With the SACD always switches my amplifier off with “DC error”.

regards
    juergen

MJC
    My current cartidge, Shure M97, will play all the canon shots, except the last one. It seems to only get part of it.
    I was listening to the SACD version this morning, just great at -15db on the volume control. That must be a completely new recording, as it has a chorus track in it that the LP an CD don't, and of coarse, multichannel.

I was just looking on Jerry Raskin's Needledoctor web site. There was 133 turntables listed. I never knew there were so many turntables. I noticed there were a number of Denons, Duals but no Gerards, Yamaha, all brands from the past. But most were brands I've never heard of. They were listed by price, starting at $100,000.

$60K for a pair of Everest, ok
    $100K for a turntable, I don't think so.

Thread Information