Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done with your records??

Well, if the case is NOT hi fidelity, but old recordings there is no need to discuss what sounds best?

I thought hi-fi and the best possible sound was what we talked about, and for that you need the best recordings and the best equipment.

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

No misunderstanding, Rolf. I enjoy my little mp3, but I would rather have the recording master of the session! Better yet, if I could bring the band back from the dead I'd prefer them to play it for me right here.

I'm not going to stop listening to the local jazz station on my car radio because the 4345's are not in the car. Given the choice, anytime, I want to hear the best possible source on the best possible rig. But I won't play something I don't want to hear as much as something else just because the recording is better. It is the music that is the most important thing for me.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Sure! I do understand that. Me to listen to music on my radio in the car. I also listen to music on a cheap cd radio and to not so good sounding cd's at home.

What I was talking about is if you have a very high quality setup for analog (LP's), and a very high quality setup for digital, (CD's) with the best possible recordings on both systems.

I have yet to hear the analog setup sounding better. I must add that for 10 years ago the picture was not so clear.

That was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47
    No misunderstanding, Rolf. I enjoy my little mp3, but I would rather have the recording master of the session! Better yet, if I could bring the band back from the dead I'd prefer them to play it for me right here.

I'm not going to stop listening to the local jazz station on my car radio because the 4345's are not in the car. Given the choice, anytime, I want to hear the best possible source on the best possible rig. But I won't play something I don't want to hear as much as something else just because the recording is better. It is the music that is the most important thing for me.

Clark

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    I play them....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Records are still my reference for how good my system can sound, and I'm far from alone on this. I'm helping a friend move several thousand albums into my basement over the next few days because he's losing his storage space. I can't wait ! This is the fruits of his labor over the past 20 years of yard sales and flea markets picking out the best of the best while everyone was tossing them for cheap - or just outright giving them away. I always kept my records and I'm *so* glad I did. They are truly timeless if well cared for.

Don't toss them - keep them !

jblnut

Still have 'em. My only regret is I left my Duane Eddy albums at home when I went off to college, and I don't know what happened to them.

David

What to do with records

I use their mass to line my speaker cabinets by packing them in 2ft x 15"x 14" teak veneered boxes, stacked to pad the cabinets. FWIW, a friend passed me several hundred old 33s from the 50s, many had never been played more than a half dozen times and no warpage. Swing big band sound plays great from the phono through the JBL horns.

Charley Rummel

I play 'em....

Hi everyone:

I have thousands (no kidding) of records stored in two rooms in my basement. I have 33 rpm albums, 45's, 78's, special release versions of many items on 7", 10" and 12" vinyl not really marketed for consumers, and I have several 16" transcriptions (and a Gates 16" turntable among my four turntables) of radio broadcasts, commercials, special releases, etc., and the list goes on. I also have reel to reel tapes, cassettes, and a box of 8 tracks somewhere... Yes, I do have many CD's as well.

When the compact disk format first came to market, a number of my acquaintences rushed to have the latest technology. I witnessed over and over what were in my opinion wreckless migrations to this new technology. I saw people toss their entire album collections and spend ridiculous amounts of money on the CD versions (at least what they could find, anyway) of their old collections. And guess what? a lot of them were disappointed in the sound of their old favorites as they were released on CD - even the recordings that were promoted as remastered. Sure, there were (and are) a lot of cool things to be found on CD, but many people I knew were quietly dissapointed. The sound they were familiar with just wasn't their anymore.

As time went on and new releases gradually filled the CD racks at the record stores, the newer releases were mixed and mastered for this new media. Terrific sounding music. Also, the industry realized that re-releasing older material on CD would require a much more intense technical process if they are to be successful. I do have a number of recordings that were re-released onto CD - some with fantastic results and in some casses with additional material. And the opposite holds true.

I have Cream's 'Wheels Of Fire'; Iron Butterfly's 'In-A-God-A-Divita' (I think I spelled it right...); and a number of others on CD, that in my opinion sound like crap compared to the LP's, even after spending hours fiddling with the EQing and other parameters on my system. My son got a Black Saboth CD a couple years back, and we played it on my sound system. I then dug out my LP of the same (It was 'Iron Man') from way back when, and the difference in the sound quality was like night and day. The LP sounded sooooo much better than the CD.

I have mentioned on this forum in the past that I have mind f#@ked many so-called audio files who think they are on top of the world with their hi-end boutique gear when they hear my vacuum tube 5 channel monster playing vinyl through JBL/Altec speaker from the good old days. Gee what fun!

Kind regards,
    Charley

I prefer vinyl myself, but there is some help available for old cd's. Rega has some new CD players that analyze the disc before playback and make adjustments to deal with the shortcomings of the cd.

My friends tell me it works pretty well. They can listen to their old cd's again without listener fatigue!

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I sold most of my LPs and haven't listened to them for probably 10 years or more. Those LPs that I have left are either stored in a closet in the house or out in my garage. I have Sony PSX-6 turntable with a Shure V15 type IV cartridge that is stored in a box in the garage. What I like about CDs is the fact that there is no noise, except what was on the master tape that was used, if any. Granted I have purchased a few CDs that were master very poorly but overall the majority sound better than LPs in my opinion. Lp's wear out or get damage quite easily. When I was playing them I tried very hard to take care of them, but some how something would always happen to them. I have also had a number of LPs converted to CD that weren't available on CD at the time. In the process, one company and an individual that I used, took out the majority of noise. There one fellow I had do a few, he was so good at cleaning up the noise, he even removed the tracking inner groove noise usually found in the last track of an LP side! Quite amazing work.
    I don't miss using cassettes either. I very rarely played cassettes on the home system. I used cassettes strictly in the car. I can't stand wow and flutter, and with CD's there is none of that! When CD players in the car came along I was a very happy camper.

Larry, who is very fond of CDs

PLAY EM!.... PLAY EM!.... PLAY EM! and I still COLLECT EM!.....COLLECT EM!.....COLLECT EM! I have thousands of LPs and thousands of 45s.

The turntable on my main system sounds way better than the CD player and I am an ex record store owner so of course I love them.

I always feel sorry for those guys that sold their records or dont play LPs anymore. Especially if you have a half decent sound system (like most here do) Thats like having a 4 speed HEMI Road Runner and never getting it out of second gear.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

I have recorded many to MP3 format to make it easier to take them with me and burn CD's. I still have them all, they are not going anywhere. I got a shure V15 type 5 xmr right before they disappeared forever.

I don't think they are really that superior in terms of sound quaity but I'd rather just make a CD out of the album than replace it. It is neat to play them, a trip back in time.

Charley Rummel

Hey, Superbee..

I like the analogy of your Hemi equipped Road Runner stuck in second gear!

Regards,
    Charley

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Most cd's sound better than lp's when played through decent equipment.
    You must be joking.
    LPs in good condition, no snap, crackle, pop, sound MUCH better than cds especially the early cds that only had a low sampling rate, 44k, I think. LPs are warmer, smoother.
    Its the high sampling rate, for the most part, not totally, that makes DVD-A and SACD so much better than cd.
    When DVD-A first came out, one of the old rockers, forget who, that was releasing his lps to DVD-A was asked why he didn't release on cds, his reply was. "CDs are so bad they should have never been sent to market."

I've compared some CDs and Albums today and I think a lot has to do with the particular album. Some records were not pressed well or mastered worth a darn. And if the record has a lot of mileage on it it's not going to sound better than a Cd anymore.

I attribute the "warmer" sound of records to a highend rolloff. Of course, those with 15,000.00 turntable and cartridge can disagree if they like.

Thread Information