Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What have you done with your records??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What have you done with your records??

I have a bunch of 78's and LP's that were my fathers many in good shape. I am going to have to start going thru them to see what I want to keep. I just don't have the space and more importanatly I doubt I will ever listen to many of them. I don't want to just toss them. Any ideas????

Rob

There's a local club around here that meet at least once a month in a record store parking lot to swap 78's outta the trunks of their cars.

If you don't have one, start one, maybe....

Don't get in a hurry

I had the same thing happen to me years ago...and I gave away/tossed them. I sorely regret it now that I have a decent turntable again. I had converted to CD by then, and just wasn't taken with them. I recently disovered...even with ticks, pops, and bass rolled off masters, you can really get lost in the music....and the albums I have the CD to compare....simply don't compare....the LP's sound closer to the artist through the midrange and vocals....sorry to go on, but at least keep the nicer ones....in respect for dad, for one thing...and the music, for another....ten years from now you may thank me...times and storage considerations change....Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    I have a bunch of 78's and LP's that were my fathers many in good shape. I am going to have to start going thru them to see what I want to keep. I just don't have the space and more importanatly I doubt I will ever listen to many of them. I don't want to just toss them. Any ideas????

Rob
    Ebay
    Old records can bring a great price depending on what they are and condition
    I think a mint war of the worlds album is worth 600$ au atm
    And it gonna go to some1 who will appreaciate it

if u want a copy digitise it 1st!
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

there is a guy over here with a housefull of 78's and has assumed a kind of archive role for all that old stuff.i heard he will tape requests for you if you ask.i wonder if any of our snowbound members have heard of him.i think he is into the swing big band era stuff mostly but i dont know for sure.might be worth a look

Make A List & Post It

There are record collectors on this forum like me. Make a list of the specifics and I'll be you get some offers.

All of my 78s are at my friend's shop, if anyone's looking for some give him a shout to see what he still has:

www.sgcustomsound.com

Scott's a great guy, tell him John Evans sent you.

je

In 1982/83 in my hurry to get new technology, buying a cd player I made a deal with a local record shop. He bought all of my lp's for about US$ 6000, and I could pick up cd's over time, as what I wanted become available. I also sold my HK record player with a Rabco arm and Signet pic-up.

Today I regret it. Keep all of your records. They are a legacy of their time.

I wish I had.

Quote Originally Posted by morbo!
    I think a mint war of the worlds album is worth 600$ au atm
    And it gonna go to some1 who will appreaciate it
    If you are not so much interested in the album but in listening to the show, you can find it here:
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-vie...g/warworld.mp3
    It is a 24 kbps MP3 and better audible than this 16Kbps MP3:
    http://www.archive.org/details/WAROFTHEWORLDS2

Nice to listen to!

I don't have a way to play my late parent's old 78's right now, but I sure don't want to get rid of them. One of my best listening experiences was hearing Caruso on an Edison cylinder grammaphone in a basement years ago. The sound coming out of the horn was haunting and powerfull. It indeed seemed like a voice coming through a tunnel connected to the past. I remember 78's having similar qualities. Perhaps many members would get the same feeling listening to 45's in a Rockola jukebox.

LP's have sonic qualities that make it a possibly foolish act to get rid of good examples. Most lp's still sound better than most cd's when played through decent equipment. The older formats may not have the accuracy edge of lp's and cd's, but, as mentioned above, there are other rewards.

If worse comes to worse, your local high end audio shop might have patrons interested in giving some of your vinyl and shellac a good home.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47
    ... Most lp's still sound better than most cd's when played through decent equipment.
    Clark in Peoria
    Most cd's sound better than lp's when played through decent equipment.

I just returned from the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver. Turntables were spinning all over the show as always, and most of the best sound came from them. I was able to attend a couple of late night listening sessions with friends, and some of the LP playback was just tremendous. It is somewhat true of digital sound but very apparent with LPs that there are new layers of resolution and listener involvement to be found in the old recordings or their reissues as the equipment improves. At times Ella or Billie seemed to be singing in front of us with a believability that I've never experienced with CDs or SACDs.

I am certain that the beer played no part in this whatsoever.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Most cd's sound better than lp's when played through decent equipment.
    You must be joking.
    LPs in good condition, no snap, crackle, pop, sound MUCH better than cds especially the early cds that only had a low sampling rate, 44k, I think. LPs are warmer, smoother.
    Its the high sampling rate, for the most part, not totally, that makes DVD-A and SACD so much better than cd.
    When DVD-A first came out, one of the old rockers, forget who, that was releasing his lps to DVD-A was asked why he didn't release on cds, his reply was. "CDs are so bad they should have never been sent to market."

PLAY EM!.... PLAY EM!.... PLAY EM! and I still COLLECT EM!.....COLLECT EM!.....COLLECT EM! I have thousands of LPs and thousands of 45s.

The turntable on my main system sounds way better than the CD player and I am an ex record store owner so of course I love them.

I always feel sorry for those guys that sold their records or dont play LPs anymore. Especially if you have a half decent sound system (like most here do) Thats like having a 4 speed HEMI Road Runner and never getting it out of second gear.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

I have recorded many to MP3 format to make it easier to take them with me and burn CD's. I still have them all, they are not going anywhere. I got a shure V15 type 5 xmr right before they disappeared forever.

I don't think they are really that superior in terms of sound quaity but I'd rather just make a CD out of the album than replace it. It is neat to play them, a trip back in time.

Thread Information