Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What have you done with your records??

What have you done with your records??

My dotter, who lives in Germany , picked up most of my good ones and handcarried back to Whuppertal. She is a DJ once a week on the local station, and gets many compliments on music that no one there has ever heard.

Starts her show with 13th floor elevators - "too much to Dream last Night"
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    My dotter, who lives in Germany , picked up most of my good ones and handcarried back to Whuppertal.
    That has surely been a good idea.
    Do they have a live stream?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    That has surely been a good idea.
    Do they have a live stream?

My son is a psychology major and this term he had to pick one class that was not related to his major. So he picked "the history of Rock & Roll". Says he really likes the class and they dissected Calpton lyrics the first day. A nice relief from the heavier classes.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    What have you done with your records??

My dotter, who lives in Germany , picked up most of my good ones and handcarried back to Whuppertal. She is a DJ once a week on the local station, and gets many compliments on music that no one there has ever heard.

Starts her show with 13th floor elevators - "too much to Dream last Night"
    caught ya ......... that was the electric prunes....the elevators big hit was youre going to miss me,the one from hi fidelity............

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    caught ya ......... that was the electric prunes....the elevators big hit was youre going to miss me,the one from hi fidelity............
    you are right Jim...I didnt have the album to refer back to.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Any thoughts on Stanton cartridges?
    thought, comments?
    from what i recall the stantons were popular with the dj crowd as they were well built and could take it.radio stations used to like them as well.i used a denon 103 s moving coil with a pre pre and it was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Any thoughts on Stanton cartridges?
    I used to use the 681 EEE back in the day, but - that was quite a while ago ...
    thought, comments?

Heather, the 681 EEE's are still keepers. I had a chance a couple of months ago to to compare 681's to Shure V15 IV's, the EEE's walked all over the IV's. Of course it could just be that I have managed to keep 2 EEE's in stock since my first system back in 73. And remember they are the calibration standards. I clean my records yearly with VPI record cleaning machine, and check stylus with 10X loupe, stills looks brand new.
    Nothing like pulling a cleaned 30 year old album and hearing it without the snap, crackle, and pops. Will bring a smile to your face everytime..

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by fotodan View Post
    Heather, the 681 EEE's are still keepers. I had a chance a couple of months ago to to compare 681's to Shure V15 IV's, the EEE's walked all over the IV's. Of course it could just be that I have managed to keep 2 EEE's in stock since my first system back in 73. And remember they are the calibration standards. I clean my records yearly with VPI record cleaning machine, and check stylus with 10X loupe, stills looks brand new.
    Nothing like pulling a cleaned 30 year old album and hearing it without the snap, crackle, and pops. Will bring a smile to your face everytime..
    I used the Shure V15 III, IV, V from the late '60 until about '88. By that time CDs were the thing, and none of the stores around here had ANY replacement stylus. Then I found a little shop in Carson City that had a cheap Pickering, that thing would jump track everytime the canons went off on the 1812 Overture.
    Thanks to the internet, we can have a choice again.
    Right now I'm using a Shure M97.
    I've used, for years, a spray solution on my records, that you buff with the supplied buffer, keeps the records clean and static free.

Have used most all "popular priced" cartridges. Currently have V15/4 in the Dual 701 and no complaints. Maybe the best I've owned , always had Shures, Stantons , ADC , Pickerings , B&O ...etc....no really high enders.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    ... that thing would jump track everytime the canons went off on the 1812 Overture.
    There has been an investigation of the track (from a Teldec record as far as I remeber):
    It has been impossible to any stylus to follow exactly.
    They all would jump more or less.

Grumpy, your follow up made me thinking, you are right. Thank you.
    Last edited by Hoerninger; 04-10-2007 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Post #56

There is a Teldec recording, but I think you may be referring to the Telarc 1812... ca 1978. -grumpy

The Telarc 1812 Overture LP is indeed a severe tracking test for cartridges. The cannon shots are so abrupt and explosive that it is hard to tell by ear if any mistracking is taking place (unless it throws the needle across the room, of course).

I remember reading in a high end mag years ago that someone had looked at the cannon shot grooves with a microscope and determined that the cutterhead had maxed out and clipped some of the biggest signals. Still, the recording sounds pretty good to me.

The direct to disc recordings issued by Crystal Clear titled "The Fox Touch" volumes 1 and 2 also contain some of the strongest low frequencies captured on LP. These pipe organ performances by Virgil Fox, mastered on site by Stan Ricker, feature extreme shuddering pedal fundamentals and sound very clean to me when using a Denon DL-103 cartridge.

Quality never goes out of style

Vinyl records can become even more useful and valuable with a little effort. I'll never have to buy another bowl.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've always enjoyed music at work, and more than any other medium, vinyl is key to my productivity.

Many of my first dates were made more special with a vinyl platter spinning in the ol' Magnavox stereo console. Even today, nothing sets a romantic mood like vinyl.

Thread Information