Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L46 Woofers

Hi Pioneer727,

Yes, I'd still like to get the gaskets if possible. So are the cones in these drivers immobile (locked in, don't move even with pressure) or are they freely mobile but non-responsive to signal, ohm out at infinity, etc. or do they rub and don't play properly? What is the condition of the woofers currently and do you have a photo?

Regards,

Bart

Pioneer727
    Well here is the story on these when I got these L46 of of ebay the seller said that they had new surrounds
    when I got them I checked them sure the surrounds where new but they were put on wrong with the cone side put behind the cone when it was to be put in front of the cone well he did not do a good gluing either so when my son in law did his thing the cone came right out so hard it pulled the terminal wire to the cone right out and tore the surround and cone on the back side where the surround was clued on both speakers the bobbin in both is damaged as well, the only thing good on them is the baskets.
    If you still want them let me know.

Ron

Hi, yes, if the original soft or cushy rubber gasket was used for the refoam, then yes, I'd like to get those. They would be original. If the foam surround frame edge is covered with a paper or cardboard type gasket edge, then no, those would be aftermarket supplied and I wouldn't use them. As far as the frames are concerned, they aren't seen much, don't know if a recone kit is available, judging from the above replacement recommendation by JBL, probably not. Let me know or PM me with a pic.

Best to have a good low filter for the next set of woofers or don't let the son-in-law touch the volume control. Isn't he paying for the replacements?

Regards,

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer727
    Well here is the story on these when I got these L46 of of ebay the seller said that they had new surrounds
    when I got them I checked them sure the surrounds where new but they were put on wrong with the cone side put behind the cone when it was to be put in front of the cone well he did not do a good gluing either so when my son in law did his thing the cone came right out so hard it pulled the terminal wire to the cone right out and tore the surround and cone on the back side where the surround was clued on both speakers the bobbin in both is damaged as well, the only thing good on them is the baskets.
    If you still want them let me know.

Ron
    All of my L46s had the original surrounds to the back of the cone. There's a picture of my six L46s, the outer pairs still have the original surrounds, the inner pair's surrounds have been replaced:

http://tinyurl.com/y8pcoq

I have the OEM-surrounded woofers boxed up with me, if you want me to take more pics I can. Sounds to me like it could have been poor gluing, for sure, but more likely an over-exuberant hand on the volume knob (or bass control). Just my opinion.

Good luck,

je

Pioneer727
    You bet he is paying for them and he is Not allowed near my system. I was outside doing yardwork when he did this. I have them hooked up to a Pioneer SX-1050 at 125 watts per I did a complete recap of this unit and it pounds I never have the volume past 11 oclock. Thank god he was not playing his heavy metal I would have blown tweeters now to.

Ron

Yes I have 2 of them available. A 1982 vintage which has a new surround and a working 1983 which needs a new surround. Only difference is the aluminum frame of the 1982 is slightly smaller but mounts without incident.

Yank

Thread Information